Author Topic: 15 killed, dozens missing in Ethiopia garbage dump landslide  (Read 817 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
15 killed, dozens missing in Ethiopia garbage dump landslide
« on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:36 pm »
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) - A landslide swept through a massive garbage dump on the outskirts of Ethiopia's capital, killing at least 15 people and leaving several dozen missing, residents said, as officials vowed to relocate those who called the landfill home.

Addis Ababa Mayor Diriba Kuma said 15 bodies had been recovered since the landslide Saturday night at the Koshe Garbage Landfill buried several makeshift homes and concrete buildings. The landfill has been a dumping ground for the capital's garbage for more than 50 years.

About 150 people were there when the landslide occurred, resident Assefa Teklemahimanot told The Associated Press. The mayor said 37 people had been rescued and were receiving medical treatment.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/15-killed-dozens-missing-in-ethiopia-garbage-dump-landslide/501909368

Let the good times roll.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: 15 killed, dozens missing in Ethiopia garbage dump landslide
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:17:59 am »
The number is up to 46 now. Very sad.

And that general area is under threat of famine. I don't think Ethiopia is listed but surrounding countries are.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:21:49 am »
The number is up to 46 now. Very sad.

And that general area is under threat of famine. I don't think Ethiopia is listed but surrounding countries are.

How can that be? I thought famine in Ethiopia was a perennial favorite.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:05 am »
Actually, I agree Fred; they are just not one of the listed countries on that famine list, must be the UN's; but it does seem I've read stories on a potential famine in Ethiopia in the past 2 years.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea