Author Topic: Conservatives Have Become What They Hate Most About the Left and I’m Exhausted  (Read 1235 times)

Online corbe

Conservatives Have Become What They Hate Most About the Left and I’m Exhausted

Posted at 6:30 pm on February 20, 2017 by Kira Davis

I’ve heard it said many times on the difference between how liberals and conservatives treat opposing view points was so at odds because “we just think they’re wrong, but they think we’re evil.”

I have heard conservatives time and again lament the fact that liberals treat conservative thought with such contempt. Despite claiming the title “liberal”, the left in this country has been horrifically narrow-minded when it comes to opinion and thought. Any deviation from the established parameters of liberalism has always been met with vitriol and charges of racism, sexism, or pick-a-phobia…ism.

It has been the heartbreak of many conservatives I know to realize that they are hated by people who have known them for years simply because they expressed a conservative position  or supported a Republican polititcian. With the rise of Twitter it has become popular to point out the hypocrisy of the left when it comes to tolerance and their decidedly intolerant treatment of anyone who isn’t a liberal.

“How can anyone think like that?” we’ve asked each other.

How can anyone be okay with completely erasing from their lives a person they’ve known and even respected simply because they think there is another way to do things? It’s unfair and it’s heinous

Why is it so hard for liberals to just argue the idea instead of judging a person’s entire earthly value based on a political opinion?

All this typically followed by some version of, “I just don’t understand it. I’ll never understand it”.

Well, conservatives take a good a look around you at the smoking, stinking ashes of the modern conservative movement and then look in the mirror.

You now know what it’s like to be a liberal.

Since Donald Trump emerged from the Republican primaries conservatives have been at each other’s throats accusing one another of the heinous things that used to only be hurled at us from the left.

You voted for Trump and his “Svengali”, Steve Bannon? You are a racist and enabler of the alt-right Neo-Nazis who seek to redefine conservatism. You voted for a dictator, a mentally ill egomaniac, woman-hating narcisist who will destroy this country and maybe even the world. You have betrayed conservatism!

You are #NeverTrump and could never bring yourself to vote for a “fake conservative”? You are a wannabe liberal, a tool of the left being used to bludgeon the right. You’re too blinded by your Trump Derangement Syndrome to look at him objectively. You’ve chosen to believe the selectively edited lies the media dispenses and you’re too arrogant to see that is the choice the conservative movement has made moving forward. You’re a loser and a dupe.

But it isn’t just name-calling that is the problem. To my complete heartbreak I have seen conservatives who have been friends for years end their relationships over the differences in opinion on Trump and all things Trump related.

I have seen conservatives who claim to know what the Gospel of Christ says about salvation and a relationship with Jesus say that anyone who voted for Trump isn’t really a Christian and can’t say they love God.

Seriously? Anyone who believes that one vote in one election cycle is the marker for your entire life and faith in God has a shockingly shallow view of the reason for Christ’s sacrifice.

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/kiradavis/2017/02/20/conservatives-become-hate-left-im-exhausted/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I have a primarily liberal family.

I disagree with them but I don't hate them.

Offline endicom

Kira Davis is 'guilty' of groupthink and so is what she decries.

Shouldn't conservatives see people as individuals?

Online corbe

I have a 100% Republican family and it dismay's them so that I would even dare criticize Pres. Trump. 
   Like good trained seals they no longer bring up the 'strawman' hellary argument, to me anyway.
   I do Love them all, in spite of their lack of critical thinking skills.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Kira Davis is 'guilty' of groupthink and so is what she decries.

Shouldn't conservatives see people as individuals?

@endicom  did you just look at the link and assume it was an anti Trump article? 
   I actually read it, as I do all that I post here, and IMHO it was a fair piece with some soul-searching that she try's to convey in words, difficult for most.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I've made my temporary peace with Donaldus Minimus with this new NSC hire.

You have Mattis and Pence running around cleaning up his messes, Pence basically acting like the real President, and Trump just hired a very capable man to head his NSC.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Trump can actually function like a real Presidency.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
   I have a 100% Republican family and it dismay's them so that I would even dare criticize Pres. Trump. 
   Like good trained seals they no longer bring up the 'strawman' hellary argument, to me anyway.
   I do Love them all, in spite of their lack of critical thinking skills.

With the death of my mother, the most conservative of all, the family has really come through for me.They've realized that while they sat in Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo and criticized, I sacrificed the last 20 years basically taking care of my mother and protecting her. Now they all want to do things for me and help me. I shut off my phone today just to get a break.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I do too, but my dad is conservative.

I regularly see calls to kill liberals at FreeRepublic. I guess they'd want me to ship my family off to the gas chambers?

How else can I interpret it?

Wingnut

I do too, but my dad is conservative.

I regularly see calls to kill liberals at FreeRepublic. I guess they'd want me to ship my family off to the gas chambers?

How else can I interpret it?

I don't think they would stuff your fam in the oven....but they might turn on the gas and light the pilot.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The only death threats I received were from Trumps supporters.

None from Hillary's rabid Communists, nor Obama's.

Just the Trump militants on social media and sites like TOS.

Self-identifying Conservatives may have become just like the Left because there is really not much difference between them except the people they want in power.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline dfwgator

I've made my temporary peace with Donaldus Minimus with this new NSC hire.

You have Mattis and Pence running around cleaning up his messes, Pence basically acting like the real President, and Trump just hired a very capable man to head his NSC.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Trump can actually function like a real Presidency.

I would have expected someone who has never been elected to political office to make some rookie mistakes, as Trump has.  But over time, he'll learn what works and what doesn't and will adjust. 

Offline JustPassinThru

Just another Establishment rant, trying to do what Liberals do:  Shame and guilt the Teabaggers and Bitter Clingers into slinking back to the plantation.

And no, I'm not a trumpbot.  As flawed a leader as he is, though, the RINOs are much worse.  Trump has a mythology and a Narrative, which may or may not have some truth to it.

The RINOs have NOTHING.  They just want their turn slopping at the money-trough.

Offline Frank Cannon

Conservatives Have Become What They Hate Most About the Left and I’m Exhausted

Sounds like you should take a long nap Kira.

BTW, if you need a bed give me a call. I defiantly have room for you.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
   I actually read it, as I do all that I post here, and IMHO it was a fair piece with some soul-searching that she try's to convey in words, difficult for most.

Aye.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

More from the article:

I blame ourselves, for being hypocrites, for being what we said we never were and never would be – bitter and rigid in our self-righteousness. We have now become all the things we said we could never understand about liberals. We succumb to soundbites and headlines. We’ve stopped looking for original sources or reading to the end of an article. We’ve taken on the news-digestion habits of the left and it is only serving to fuel our rage towards one another.

http://www.redstate.com/kiradavis/2017/02/20/conservatives-become-hate-left-im-exhausted/

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:42:48 pm by Right_in_Virginia »