Author Topic: In Trump's Washington, Nothing Feels Stable  (Read 7724 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

Re: In Trump's Washington, Nothing Feels Stable
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2017, 03:15:30 am »
Same here !!! Cruz is best positioned in the Senate, even though he most aligned with my beliefs for the presidency .

It's not just that his beliefs aligned with mine,  it's also that he had the right philosophical perspective on the role of government in our lives;  Of "natural law"  and what was right and normal.   

He would have done the right thing for the right reasons.   Of course now that Trump has won,  I'm okay with him doing the right thing,  even if it's for the wrong reasons.   

He does seem to be doing the right thing.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2017, 04:23:07 am »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:47 pm »
Trump certainly isn't a warrior.

Of course he is @txradioguy  .  Trump took on both political parties, the media, the globalists, you and your fellow NTs .... and he won.

That, my friend, is a warrior.

But you already know that.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:27:19 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »
Of course he is @txradioguy  .  Trump took on both political parties, the media, the globalists, you and your fellow NTs .... and he won.

He's the barking dog that's caught the car.  He's got to stop barking, and start leading.   Instead,  he's destroying his goodwill before our eyes.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »

No...that's a politician who knows how to play the inside game.

This is what a warrior looks like:

The picture you showed is a wealthy 1%'er getting off a helicopter.

But you already knew that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:39:01 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2017, 01:45:05 pm »

Back in the 80s I used to judge the success of a Reagan initiative by how much the left screamed.   The more they screamed,  the more convinced I was that it was exactly what needed to be done.   

The SDI program had them screaming pretty loud.   That program is what won the cold war for us.

No doubt SDI contributed, but my vote goes to the effectiveness of the All Volunteer Military. I was on active duty from 76-84, and I saw how we improved year by year. My first two years in Germany were pretty rough. For example, the weekend before arriving at my first duty station in Germany (1/77), we had a race riot in our barracks, and an E-5 was locked in his wall locker and tossed out a second story window.

Combat arms units like mine were susceptible to soldiers lacking basic reading skills...it was a real challenge.

My last two years in Germany we had a new Battalion Commander, a grizzled veteran who was sure he was on his last tour. He went after malcontents and soldiers that could not be motivated. Higher HQs howled as we discharged over 10% of our 600 man battalion. The results were stupendous, and played a large role in turning a C-3 battalion into a C-1.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2017, 01:48:58 pm »

It's not just that his beliefs aligned with mine,  it's also that he had the right philosophical perspective on the role of government in our lives;  Of "natural law"  and what was right and normal.   

He would have done the right thing for the right reasons.   Of course now that Trump has won,  I'm okay with him doing the right thing,  even if it's for the wrong reasons.   

He does seem to be doing the right thing.

I was all in for Cruz and came late to accept the binary choice of who would be my son's CINC and who would give us the SCOTUS necessary for any hope of the survival of the rule of law.

For me, Trump has two grand slams with Mattis and Gorsuch. Speaking of the latter, when I told my missus of his background with John Finnis, she was very happy.

After studying at Columbia University and Harvard Law School, Gorsuch earned a doctorate from Oxford University, where he was supervised by John Finnis, an internationally acclaimed philosopher of law and a theorist of natural law and natural rights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/01/ignore-the-attacks-on-neil-gorsuch-hes-an-intellectual-giant-and-a-good-man/?utm_term=.e8a34a514eb7

@DiogenesLamp
@LonestarDream

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2017, 01:54:32 pm »
He's the barking dog that's caught the car.  He's got to stop barking, and start leading.   Instead,  he's destroying his goodwill before our eyes.

So keeping his promises is "destroying his goodwill" ???

All righty then - here's yer sign

Offline beandog

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2017, 01:59:49 pm »
Nonsense.  He never had any "goodwill" to destroy.  He's doing exactly what he should be doing.  It's the idiot Republicans in congress who need to stop being little girls and go with it. 22222frying pan

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2017, 02:00:54 pm »

All righty then - here's yer sign

Other than a poorly executed EO...what "promises" has he fulfilled so far?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »
Nonsense.  He never had any "goodwill" to destroy.  He's doing exactly what he should be doing.  It's the idiot Republicans in congress who need to stop being little girls and go with it. 22222frying pan

"little girls"?  Little girls can be quite tough - unlike our "representatives".

Offline beandog

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2017, 02:04:13 pm »
Other than a poorly executed EO...what "promises" has he fulfilled so far?
How about nominating a conservative judge for the Supreme Court.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2017, 02:06:34 pm »

He nominated a judge that...until we see how he rules on some important cases...we don't know for sure is Conservative or not.

He's not on the bench yet.

Roberts was touted as Conservative too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »

I have no problem with "keeping promises".  But his travel ban (actually a moratorium, not a ban) was poorly conceived and executed, and has galvanized the opposition against him.   He's tripping all over himself - he's not showing leadership,  he's acting impulsively and on the basis of bad advice.   

Offline beandog

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2017, 02:12:05 pm »
He nominated a judge that...until we see how he rules on some important cases...we don't know for sure is Conservative or not.

He's not on the bench yet.

Roberts was touted as Conservative too.
You just want to find something wrong.  Nobody can be sure how somebody rules until they rule.  The point is he did exactly what he said he was going to do.    It's certainly better than what Clinton would have nominated.  He has also nominated several very good people to his cabinet.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »

Judge Gorsuch is an excellent choice -  and I think it's a good thing that he appears to have much in common with Justice Roberts' view of the limited role of the federal judiciary. 

It would be a damn shame, though,  if the implacable opposition to Trump's rash and cruelly-implemented travel ban creates a backlash that sinks the Gorsuch nomination.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:00 pm »
You just want to find something wrong.  Nobody can be sure how somebody rules until they rule.  The point is he did exactly what he said he was going to do.    It's certainly better than what Clinton would have nominated.  He has also nominated several very good people to his cabinet.

No I'm just being a realist.  The rest the jury is still out.  Good even great generals more times than not turn out to be lousy politicians.  The generals Trump nominated to political appointments have yet to show whether they will be as good in the political trenches as they were on the front lines.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »
Judge Gorsuch is an excellent choice -  and I think it's a good thing that he appears to have much in common with Justice Roberts' view of the limited role of the federal judiciary. 

It would be a damn shame, though,  if the implacable opposition to Trump's rash and cruelly-implemented travel ban creates a backlash that sinks the Gorsuch nomination.

Some of us held our nose for Trump so that he would nominate someone like Gorsuch.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2017, 03:06:10 pm »
Here's some news!  The ELECTION is over and Trump is now president of the United States whether you like it or not!  He's going to remain in that office for at least the next four years and more than likely 8 years!  Better come to grips with that or it's going to be a LONG period for you!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 03:15:32 pm »

Donald Trump most certainly is a warrior, and by definition, Hillary Clinton is too. 

war•ri•or (ˈwɔr i ər, ˈwɔr yər, ˈwɒr i ər, ˈwɒr yər)

n.
1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
2. a person who has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics.
[1250–1300; Middle English werreieor < Old North French, =werrei(er) to war1 + -eor -or2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/warrior

Anyone who says different is just being contrary.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »
Donald Trump most certainly is a warrior, and by definition, Hillary Clinton is too. 

war•ri•or (ˈwɔr i ər, ˈwɔr yər, ˈwɒr i ər, ˈwɒr yər)

n.
1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
2. a person who has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics.
[1250–1300; Middle English werreieor < Old North French, =werrei(er) to war1 + -eor -or2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/warrior

Anyone who says different is just being contrary.

Neither has been a soldier.

Hillary is a fraud and a thug...not a politician.

And you and other people here have crowed since as long as I've been here that Trump isn't a politician...he's an "outsider"...remember?

Anyone who knows the definition of what a warrior is knows that neither one of them are even close to being one.

• Technical
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 03:22:04 pm »

Hillary is a fraud and a thug...not a politician.

And you and other people here have crowed since as long as I've been here that Trump isn't a politician...he's an "outsider"...remember?

Anyone who knows the definition of what a warrior is knows that neither one of them are even close to being one.

:thumbsup:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2017, 03:27:38 pm »

"Warrior" @txradioguy applies to more than a soldier.  A "warrior" is a fighter;  which is why one can even be a "warrior for peace".

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2017, 03:30:03 pm »

Do you SERIOUSLY think that, say - Trump were to nominate Merrick Garland as his pick for SCOTUS - the opposition still wouldn't be lashing out at Trump?  Slanting their news coverage against him?  Holding protests, riots and vagina marches against him?  If he gave them everything they wanted, they would still work to obstruct him. 

There is nothing any Republican could ever do that would not get the treatment Trump is getting.  It wouldn't be on such a scale as this, because the typical Republican would have already caved by now, and resigned. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

• Technical
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2017, 03:37:56 pm »
"Warrior" @txradioguy applies to more than a soldier.  A "warrior" is a fighter;  which is why one can even be a "warrior for peace".

So I'm a warrior. Cool.