Author Topic: Diabetes Kills More Americans Than Had Been Thought  (Read 962 times)

rangerrebew

Diabetes Kills More Americans Than Had Been Thought
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:29:00 pm »
Diabetes Kills More Americans Than Had Been Thought
Condition is third-highest cause of death, study finds
Email this page to a friend Print Facebook Twitter Google+ Subscribe to RSS
By Robert Preidt
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
HealthDay news image

WEDNESDAY, Jan. 25, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- The number of Americans who die from diabetes is much higher than previously believed, according to a new study.

The research, based on federal government data, found that diabetes causes 12 percent of deaths in the United States. That makes it the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer, researchers said.

"Another way of saying that is, if diabetes were eliminated as a disease process, the number of deaths would decline by 12 percent," said study author Samuel Preston, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_163243.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:29:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Re: Diabetes Kills More Americans Than Had Been Thought
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:33 pm »
From this, the researchers found that Americans with diabetes have about a 90 percent higher death rate than those without diabetes. They noted that diabetes as the "underlying cause of death" had been significantly underreported in the United States.

"There is only one underlying cause of death on a death certificate," Preston said. But, "diabetes is not listed as frequently as it is involved in the death of individuals."

I have diabetes.  When discovered my company put me through a six week health education program at no cost.  Having diabetes put me in the same heart attack risk as someone who already has had one heart attack, similar with strokes.

If not properly treated, the blood can become as thick as heavy oil, slow and resistant to movement through all the little capillaries.  Also that leads to the slow healing and prone to infections.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:27:44 am »
Insidious disease

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 03:06:07 am »
"Another way of saying that is, if diabetes were eliminated as a disease process, the number of deaths would decline by 12 percent," said study author Samuel Preston, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
No, it would just mean those deaths would be postponed, or replaced by some other cause of death.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:50 am »
From SNAP to the Food Pyramid we are doing it wrong. We don't need the amount of carbs, and hubby and I are weight lifters, that these programs promote. We also need more fat than these programs claim. But hey, I'm not on the Big Gov dole for six figures plus bribe, err bureaucrat, money.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 03:19:34 am »
No, it would just mean those deaths would be postponed, or replaced by some other cause of death.

You're forgetting the exponential issues. I witness interesting things each year when I go for my annual physical. There's multiple obese people there that need diabetes meds, surgery for diabetes related injuries, therapies for the aforementioned surgeries, bp meds, cholesterol meds, and then to top it off treatments for the side effects of all of these meds. Then add to that knee replacements, hip replacements, back surgeries, artery roto-rootering, etc. and the hospital plus recovery therapy costs.

Type 2 diabetes, helped along by Gov's food pyramid and SNAP, has a nice little package wrapped up. After wreaking this much havoc, now they offer "free" healthcare!
I stand with Roosgirl.