Author Topic: Yes, Free Speech is Threatened on Campus  (Read 276 times)

rangerrebew

Yes, Free Speech is Threatened on Campus
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:36 pm »
Yes, Free Speech is Threatened on Campus

By Alex Morey   January 10, 2017

Stanford University psychiatry and behavioral sciences professor Keith Humphreys recently argued that concerns about campus censorship are overblown because he and people he knows haven’t personally encountered them. Humphreys warned that those who had “been reading Conor Friedersdorf’s or [FIRE President and CEO] Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt’s writings about campus culture in The Atlantic” might expect students to react with unreasonable, self-righteous outrage to the smallest imagined slights on campus. To the contrary, Humphreys argued:

People come to my university from all countries and all backgrounds with a huge range of beliefs and customs. Yet I have never (and I do mean never) witnessed anything on campus suggesting that the atmosphere of widespread intolerance, suspicion and emotional fragility that I keep reading about in The Atlantic actually exists. Yes, some students now and then have goofy ideas or act in rude ways, but, *cough*, I seem to remember that being just as much the case when I was a student 30 years ago.

https://www.thefire.org/yes-free-speech-is-threatened-on-campus/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:19:31 pm by rangerrebew »