Author Topic: Rep. John Lewis: Trump isn't a 'legitimate president'  (Read 14738 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Rep. John Lewis: Trump isn't a 'legitimate president'
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2017, 04:49:19 pm »
Nah -- some of them are.  But the way this has brought the true evil of the left to the surface is amazing.  People saying the election is not legitimate, calling for martial law, bullying anyone who does business with Trump supporters, threatening people who want to perform at the inauguration, privileged Hollywood elites whining and berating Middle America, while issuing whiny videos that are almost a self-parody...these are the kinds of things that really alienate/turn off ordinary Americans.   It highlights the core leftist belief that they have the right to power -- regardless of what other citizens think, or for whom they vote.  They are fundamentally undemocratic.

Look at it this way -- how many times have you read on this site someone saying "I don't like Trump and didn't support him, but the way the left is reacting is forcing me to come to his defense?"  That's become almost a common refrain.

I personally was a reluctant Trump supporter, but this election has highlighted how close we were to losing our status as a representative Republic.  4/8 more years of the left -- which is what we'd have gotten under Hillary -- would have given them a vise grip on the Supreme Court, and I truly think they would not have let go of power peacefully after that.  I wouldn't have believed that before this election, but I do now.

We were closer to the abyss than we've been perhaps ever, and as much as Trump himself makes me cringe, I am very thankful he came along to point it out.

The "true evil" of the left has been known for decades.

Trump didn't point it out...hes simply allowing the bullies on the right more concerned with revenge and getting even than getting us back to a Constitutional Republic.

They are perfectly fine with Trump using the very same illegal tactics as Obama has used the last 8 years and the Libs have been using my entire life because now it's "their guy" doing it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »
Nah he doesn't need to kiss their ass I agree there. But he does need to make them look like the ones unwilling to compromise and make the people in their districts know it.   And there are ways to do that...but it involves more than 140 characters LOL.

You know, what you're saying is right in theory, and I generally would prefer that approach myself.  But I'm starting to believe that approach is mistaken.

First, I don't think the people in their districts would listen anyway -- they are unreachable politically.   The true audience really must be broader than that.  And I'm not sure that most of the media would even report accurately what Trump said if he did make a more measured statement.  The MSM is pretty much in the tank in terms of trying to kneecap Trump, and is pushing the idea that Russian interference delegitimized the election.  If Trump said something measured and reasonable, they'd just skip it and focus on something else.

The virtue of the Twitter approach -- and I can't believe I'm even saying this because I don't even do twitter -- is that it reaches people regardless of what the MSM says.  And yes, the tweets themselves sometimes make me cringe.  But -- and this is a Rosie O'Donnell-sized "but", the tweets have the effect of re-emphasizing/repeating what the target of the tweet (Lewis in this case) originally said.  In other words, every time Trump tweets at Lewis, it amounts to saying "Lewis said the duly elected President of the United States is illegitimate."  And I think enough people are repulsed by that thought that it is a net win for Trump.

Trump is drawing battle lines that needed to be drawn.  Conservatism -- or anti-leftism, really -- has been on the ascension since 1987, largely because conservatives tend to be polite.  At least we're now actually fighting back against leftism, even if it's not conservatism per se doing the fighting.  The war on political correctness badly needs to be fought, because the left has been winning by controlling the language.  Trump may be throwing some haymakers that leave him open to counter-punches, but some of those haymakers are definitely landing.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »

Trump didn't point it out...hes simply allowing the bullies on the right more concerned with revenge and getting even than getting us back to a Constitutional Republic.

They are perfectly fine with Trump using the very same illegal tactics as Obama has used the last 8 years and the Libs have been using my entire life because now it's "their guy" doing it.

The guy hasn't even taken office yet, and you're assuming that's how Trump is going to be.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »

Agreed.  But when was the last time a presidential-level Republican wasn't afraid to say that?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »
Look at it this way -- how many times have you read on this site someone saying "I don't like Trump and didn't support him, but the way the left is reacting is forcing me to come to his defense?"  That's become almost a common refrain.

That describes me to a "T" right now.  Furthermore, I've been predicting this situation since Trump announced his run.  I knew that eventually, despite my dislike for him, I would have to defend somebody I think is a creep, human debris.

Rather pisses me off.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2017, 04:58:02 pm »
Agreed.  But when was the last time a presidential-level Republican wasn't afraid to say that?

Shhhh......he's funnier in his deluded, ignorant state-of-mind.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
That describes me to a "T" right now.  Furthermore, I've been predicting this situation since Trump announced his run.  I knew that eventually, despite my dislike for him, I would have to defend somebody I think is a creep, human debris.

Rather pisses me off.

Of course.....I'd be pissed off too!   .....when reality interferes with your inner bias.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
You know, what you're saying is right in theory, and I generally would prefer that approach myself.  But I'm starting to believe that approach is mistaken.

First, I don't think the people in their districts would listen anyway -- they are unreachable politically.   The true audience really must be broader than that.  And I'm not sure that most of the media would even report accurately what Trump said if he did make a more measured statement.  The MSM is pretty much in the tank in terms of trying to kneecap Trump, and is pushing the idea that Russian interference delegitimized the election.  If Trump said something measured and reasonable, they'd just skip it and focus on something else.

The virtue of the Twitter approach -- and I can't believe I'm even saying this because I don't even do twitter -- is that it reaches people regardless of what the MSM says.  And yes, the tweets themselves sometimes make me cringe.  But -- and this is a Rosie O'Donnell-sized "but", the tweets have the effect of re-emphasizing/repeating what the target of the tweet (Lewis in this case) originally said.  In other words, every time Trump tweets at Lewis, it amounts to saying "Lewis said the duly elected President of the United States is illegitimate."  And I think enough people are repulsed by that thought that it is a net win for Trump.

Trump is drawing battle lines that needed to be drawn.  Conservatism -- or anti-leftism, really -- has been on the ascension since 1987, largely because conservatives tend to be polite.  At least we're now actually fighting back against leftism, even if it's not conservatism per se doing the fighting.  The war on political correctness badly needs to be fought, because the left has been winning by controlling the language.  Trump may be throwing some haymakers that leave him open to counter-punches, but some of those haymakers are definitely landing.

I agree.  I thought the Twitter usage was not compatible with the role of the President, but now I'm rethinking it.  It allows Trump, or whomever, to go right around the MSM and talk to regular people. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »
Of course.....I'd be pissed off too!   .....when reality interferes with your inner bias.    :laugh:

I still think he's a creep, but the liberals need defeating more than I dislike Trump.  What more do you want from me (and the others) DC?  If you want adoration of Donald Trump you have a significant wait.

Yes, that's my "inner bias."  Some call that "principle."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:33 pm »
I still think he's a creep, but the liberals need defeating more than I dislike Trump.  What more do you want from me (and the others) DC?  If you want adoration of Donald Trump you have a significant wait.

Yes, that's my "inner bias."  Some call that "principle."

He chose to campaign that way for a reason.   It worked, in case you didn't notice.

If he would have responded like McCain or Romney....we wouldn't be here today.  And you know it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2017, 05:28:21 pm »

Rather pisses me off.

I know -- it pisses off conservatives.  But our core problem was that there were simply too many people on the other side.  The left had pushed PC to the point where a lot of people were afraid to say publicly that they supported Trump because they were worried about the reaction.  That's really an abomination in a democracy.

Trump is pissing off conservatives -- but he's also taking big chunks out of the left, and ending their stranglehold on the willingness to speak openly.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the anti-Trump rhetoric, etc., is pissing off a lot of the "middle".  They may not like Trump, but many are finding out for the first time ever how evil the left really is.  What he may be accomplishing is something of a reset -- where the left will chase off a lot of ordinary people who thought that siding with progressives was the virtuous thing to do -- it was the side that all the nice people supporting.  But with this ugliness coming out of the woodwork, I think the left is pushing away enough people that it may create major opportunities moving forward for actual conservatives to win simply because some in the great middle may have distanced themselves from the left.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:03 pm »
I know -- it pisses off conservatives.  But our core problem was that there were simply too many people on the other side.  The left had pushed PC to the point where a lot of people were afraid to say publicly that they supported Trump because they were worried about the reaction.  That's really an abomination in a democracy.

Trump is pissing off conservatives -- but he's also taking big chunks out of the left, and ending their stranglehold on the willingness to speak openly.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the anti-Trump rhetoric, etc., is pissing off a lot of the "middle".  They may not like Trump, but many are finding out for the first time ever how evil the left really is.  What he may be accomplishing is something of a reset -- where the left will chase off a lot of ordinary people who thought that siding with progressives was the virtuous thing to do -- it was the side that all the nice people supporting.  But with this ugliness coming out of the woodwork, I think the left is pushing away enough people that it may create major opportunities moving forward for actual conservatives to win simply because some in the great middle may have distanced themselves from the left.

Flawed men can still accomplish good things.  And if Trump takes down the Left, that will be a good thing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:13 pm »
He chose to campaign that way for a reason.   It worked, in case you didn't notice.

If he would have responded like McCain or Romney....we wouldn't be here today.  And you know it.

I agree with all of that.  Other than his smearing of Cruz, which could cost us the Senate, I was OK with his campaigning style.  I just think he's an undependable vessel.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:44 pm »

Rather pisses me off.

Makes two of us!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2017, 05:39:15 pm »
I agree with all of that.  Other than his smearing of Cruz, which could cost us the Senate, I was OK with his campaigning style.  I just think he's an undependable vessel.

"if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life...
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you"

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »
Nah -- some of them are.  But the way this has brought the true evil of the left to the surface is amazing.  People saying the election is not legitimate, calling for martial law, bullying anyone who does business with Trump supporters, threatening people who want to perform at the inauguration, privileged Hollywood elites whining and berating Middle America, while issuing whiny videos that are almost a self-parody...these are the kinds of things that really alienate/turn off ordinary Americans.   It highlights the core leftist belief that they have the right to power -- regardless of what other citizens think, or for whom they vote.  They are fundamentally undemocratic.

I can agree with that analysis.  And whether or not you realized it - you illustrated that we are fast arriving at the point in this country where these factions can no longer co-exist peacefully.  A belief in the inherent right to power and control by ideologues hell-bent on power will always resort to stoking their minions to violence to intimidate and force capitulation.  Pushback to that is usually always of greater measure, and the mindsets of each faction is given over to revenge, payback, punishment and threat.

War.  Or "Civil war" if you like, though there is nothing civil about such conflicts, because they are always the most brutal with the highest death counts.

It's what always happens when civil societies collapse into chaos and ruin when their foundations have been dug up and removed. 

Something will always replace it - and it is never what was intended at their establishment.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2017, 05:49:57 pm »

Exactly.

This does not bode well for either the civil society or liberty to last much longer.

But as I am learning - the Trump militant do not care about liberty anymore than the Left does.

They want their pounds of flesh and they want payback - and they are fine with an egomaniacal tyrant as dictator to achieve it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2017, 05:56:13 pm »

:amen:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:17 pm »
"if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life...
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you"

One of Mrs. Liberty's favorite songs, sung to her by her father....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2017, 06:05:37 pm »
I can agree with that analysis.  And whether or not you realized it - you illustrated that we are fast arriving at the point in this country where these factions can no longer co-exist peacefully.  A belief in the inherent right to power and control by ideologues hell-bent on power will always resort to stoking their minions to violence to intimidate and force capitulation.  Pushback to that is usually always of greater measure, and the mindsets of each faction is given over to revenge, payback, punishment and threat.

I agree.  But I don't think it is inevitable that the bubble goes up.  What's happening right now is that a lot of gas is being let out of the leftist bag -- I think they've alienated a lot of people whom might have leant them at least tacit support.  It is possible that the hard left fringe will continue to discredit itself to the point where they'll build a majority on the other side.  People don't like cops being ambushed, etc..  While there might be some leftist-initiated violence, the fact that their extremist views are a comparatively a small minority, and they won't control either the police or the military, will dampen their ability to cause major damage.

War.  Or "Civil war" if you like, though there is nothing civil about such conflicts, because they are always the most brutal with the highest death counts.

I think that is a more remote possibility.  Modern American society is too interconnected in terms of transportation of foodstuffs, fuel, and other essentials, the transmission of life-sustaining electricity, etc., for the vast majority of people to support violence on that level.  We also are completely intermingled -- there really isn't aren't any national geographic lines that can be draw that would place overwhelming support for one POV over the other -- cities are found in every state, and they tend to be leftist.  Simply put, a modern day Civil War is impractical for both sides, and the vast majority of modern Americans lack the cojones for such a bitter thing anyway.

If we got to the point of significant violence, it is far more likely to be small-scale guerilla or terrorist in nature.  Either from the right or the left.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2017, 06:11:37 pm »
Shhhh......he's funnier in his deluded, ignorant state-of-mind.

You really don't know how to react when people engage in intelligent conversation about issues do you?

No wonder Trumps simplistic small minded tweets appeal to you.

Why don't you leave the important conversations to the adults.

I'm sure FR is missing your particular brand of snark right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:35 pm »

Reagan. Cruz and a few others like Mike Lee aren't afraid to point it out.

Problem is they get stabbed in the back by members of their own party.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:14:19 pm by txradioguy »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »
You really don't know how to react when people engage in intelligent conversation about issues do you?

No wonder Trumps simplistic small minded tweets appeal to you.

Why don't you leave the important conversations to the adults.

I'm sure FR is missing your particular brand of snark right now.

That's what I 'like' about you, @txradioguy

You demonstrate that you expect to be able to insult at will, but when somebody kicks you in the nutz...you get all wimpy.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »
That's what I 'like' about you, @txradioguy

You demonstrate that you expect to be able to insult at will, but when somebody kicks you in the nutz...you get all wimpy.

Ooooh!  Is there gonna be a nutz-kicking fight??   22222frying pan ****slapping

:2popcorn:
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
Exactly.

This does not bode well for either the civil society or liberty to last much longer.

But as I am learning - the Trump militant do not care about liberty anymore than the Left does.

They want their pounds of flesh and they want payback - and they are fine with an egomaniacal tyrant as dictator to achieve it.

QFT