Author Topic: WATCH: The world's highest bridge just opened and it's terrifying  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Don't look down.
DAVID NIELD
31 DEC 2016

Those with vertigo, look away now. Everyone else, gawp in wonder at the Duge Beipanjiang Bridge in southwest China, opened to traffic this week and now the highest bridge in the world, some 565 metres (1,854 feet) above the valley below.

The bridge stretches across a 1,341-metre (4,400-foot) span. Three years in the making, it's estimated to have cost the Chinese government around 1 billion yuan (or US$144 million)....

http://youtu.be/pjWuWO1c3qs?t=8

http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-here-s-a-dizzying-view-of-the-tallest-bridge-in-the-world?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

No way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:15:30 pm by Sanguine »

Offline uglybiker

Re: WATCH: The world's highest bridge just opened and it's terrifying
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
Why is it terrifying? Other than the fact that it was made with Chinese steel and concrete? :whistle:
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:31:43 pm »
Why is it terrifying? Other than the fact that it was made with Chinese steel and concrete? :whistle:

Exactly.  Height + chinese construction =  :yawn1:

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:43:23 pm »
They should stick to building "Great" walls.   They last longer.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:52:13 pm »
I don't take to heights.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:24:39 pm »
**nononono*

I have a phobia of bridges.

I don’t think for me that is so much a fear of heights, although I do have that, or a fear of water, which I don’t, but more like a type of claustrophobia –  no place to pull over if something goes wrong - the same reason I don’t like driving through construction zones with jersey walls on either side or driving through very long tunnels.

I once had a serious panic attack while driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (supposedly one of the top scariest bridges in the US); I started sweating and shaking, my heart was pounding out of my chest, my ears were ringing and I felt like I was going to pass out. So I rolled down all the windows in my car and turned the radio up loud as it could go and sung at the top of my lungs and held the steering wheel in a death grip, keeping my eyes focused on the car in front of me. 

To make matters worse, I had to drive back over it on the way back home on the Westbound span but they had two-way traffic on that span so I couldn’t drive in the center lane.

The Eastbound span is very narrow and is only two lanes wide but has jersey walls, although not very high. The Westbound span is three lanes wide but has a metal guard rail that is open, sort of like a fence and is sometimes is opened to two-way traffic. 

That was the last time I drove over it. I’ve been over it since as a passenger though, I just won’t drive over it myself. If I have to drive to the Eastern shore of Maryland, I take the overland route, up through Delaware and down Rt. 13.

FWIW I’ve driven across the Delaware Memorial Bridge a couple of times. I don’t like it, I feel very nervous and get into one of the center lanes, but it’s not nearly as scary as to me as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

And I’m evidently not alone. I would gladly pay someone to drive me across it if needs be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-B3j83ozJk

And my worst fear – not my driving but someone else’s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlWg2tNRCc&t=3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQwxN4UZCY
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 05:49:29 pm »
I've got a phobia with heights too.

No way could I go on that bridge
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:02:31 pm »
I lived in Tampa when the original Sunshine "Skyway" bridge  was hit by the Venture Summit and colapsed killing 35 people. 

26 were on this Greyhound bus that drove off the span...

Driving across the bay on that bridge never bothered me. Even when the converted the remaining span to 2 way traffic and you could look over and see what was left of the old span... But that Damn Suicide monster Gov Graham built to replace it scares the poop out of me. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 06:16:06 pm »
I didn't remember that event, @Wingnut.  What a tragedy:  http://www.sptimes.com/News/050700/TampaBay/Horrific_accident_cre.shtml 

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 06:32:24 pm »
I didn't remember that event, @Wingnut.  What a tragedy:  http://www.sptimes.com/News/050700/TampaBay/Horrific_accident_cre.shtml

The guy in the Yellow Buick was a very lucky man that day!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 06:55:12 pm »
**nononono*

FWIW I’ve driven across the Delaware Memorial Bridge a couple of times. I don’t like it, I feel very nervous and get into one of the center lanes, but it’s not nearly as scary as to me as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Agree @Neverdul!   There is always someone other than me behind the wheel of the car on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge---and that's a good thing because I've never crossed it with my eyes open.   That bridge is dreadful.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 12:55:27 am »
I love going over bridges.  The higher the better.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 03:32:18 am »
I don't mind bridges.

Been over these with freight trains:

Moodna Viaduct, Orange County NY

Looking across:

Looking up:

Starrucca Viaduct, Lanesboro PA

And for most of my career, over the great Hell Gate in New York City:

Both on the freight side:

And on the passenger side:

Comin' over the top:

HonestJohn

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 04:28:27 am »
These are tame!

Here's are some truly terrifying walking paths in China.

And then there is the Mt. Huashan plank walk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGC0lZ-5g8

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 05:54:48 am »
Don't accept the terrifying hype but it gives one pause....

Is there any way something like this could be built in the good old USA today..within 3 years and for $144 million..Nope

Most of that steel was forged in furnaces that once were in America and the iron ore is shipped there from here.

I suspect the Chinese will have the last laugh..

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 07:50:18 am »
Don't accept the terrifying hype but it gives one pause....

Is there any way something like this could be built in the good old USA today..within 3 years and for $144 million..Nope

Most of that steel was forged in furnaces that once were in America and the iron ore is shipped there from here.

I suspect the Chinese will have the last laugh..

The Chinese have a reputation for building stuff just to build stuff. This might be a bridge to nowhere.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 08:04:54 am »

The Chinese have a reputation for building stuff just to build stuff. This might be a bridge to nowhere.

I've spent a lot of time in Hong Kong and Shanghi. My experience is the opposite. They build stuff they may need far into the future. The American business model of maximizing quarterly profits is well...alien to them.. 

Underestimating the Chinese is a grave mistake ...

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:10 am »
I've spent a lot of time in Hong Kong and Shanghi. My experience is the opposite. They build stuff they may need far into the future. The American business model of maximizing quarterly profits is well...alien to them.. 

Underestimating the Chinese is a grave mistake ...

So is overestimating them.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 08:18:50 am »

So is overestimating them.

I'd argue that it far better to overestimate any opponent than underestimate them...

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:02 am »
I'd argue that it far better to overestimate any opponent than underestimate them...

Nonsense. The problem with overestimating is you may give credence to a economic, social, and political order that turns out to be flawed.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 08:23:34 am »

Nonsense. The problem with overestimating is you may give credence to a economic, social, and political order that turns out to be flawed.

Whatever...

I base my opinion on my experience in the country. If you have been there maybe your experience is different than mine..fair enough.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 08:26:28 am »
Whatever...

I base my opinion on my experience in the country. If you have been there maybe your experience is different than mine..fair enough.

Yeah whatever.   :whistle:

:shrug:

I don't trust anecdotal evidence, personally. You could arrive in the US in NYC, Detroit, or Kansas and make a lot of assumptions about the country at large.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:23 am »

Yeah whatever.   :whistle:

:shrug:

I don't trust anecdotal evidence, personally. You could arrive in the US in NYC, Detroit, or Kansas and make a lot of assumptions about the country at large.

Well getting back to the bridge, there is nothing anecdotal about the fact that they built it in 3 years for 144 million. This is something the US could have accomplished in 1940 but today would be impossible to do in 20 years....

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 08:43:45 am »
Well getting back to the bridge, there is nothing anecdotal about the fact that they built it in 3 years for 144 million. This is something the US could have accomplished in 1940 but today would be impossible to do in 20 years....

Don't disagree with that but there is plenty wrong structurally with China's economy and society. Not that ours is perfect of course.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 05:44:30 pm »

Could be it just doesn't last long.  That area is close to Himalayas and is subject to earthquakes, like the 6.6 that hit Lijiang in 1996.

Visited there, and it is brathtakingly beautiful.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington