Author Topic: Jeff Sessions accused of making racist comments 35 years ago  (Read 2630 times)

Offline endicom

Jeff Sessions accused of making racist comments 35 years ago
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:51:27 am »
American Thinker
Ed Straker
Nov. 17, 2016

Excerpt:

One African-American prosecutor testified that Mr. Sessions had called him “boy” and joked that he thought that the Ku Klux Klan “was O.K. until I found out they smoked pot.”

Mr. Sessions denied calling the lawyer “boy” but acknowledged or did not dispute the substance of the other remarks. Mr. Sessions said his comment about the Klan was meant as a joke and said it was so preposterous — especially since he was in the middle of prosecuting a case involving the group — that he thought nobody could take it seriously. Asked whether he ever said the N.A.A.C.P. hates white people or was “a commie group and a pinko organization,” Mr. Sessions said he could not recall specifically saying that. “I am loose with my tongue on occasion, and I may have said something similar to that or could be interpreted to that,” he testified.

More... http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/11/jeff_sessions_accused_of_making_racist_comments_35_years_ago.html

It never ends.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Re: Jeff Sessions accused of making racist comments 35 years ago
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:55:52 am »
I called this on TOS a year ago. It was bound to come up. It cost him a judgeship. He will NEVER be confirmed for a cabinet position.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:45 am »
American Thinker
Ed Straker
Nov. 17, 2016

Excerpt:

One African-American prosecutor testified that Mr. Sessions had called him “boy” and joked that he thought that the Ku Klux Klan “was O.K. until I found out they smoked pot.”

Mr. Sessions denied calling the lawyer “boy” but acknowledged or did not dispute the substance of the other remarks. Mr. Sessions said his comment about the Klan was meant as a joke and said it was so preposterous — especially since he was in the middle of prosecuting a case involving the group — that he thought nobody could take it seriously. Asked whether he ever said the N.A.A.C.P. hates white people or was “a commie group and a pinko organization,” Mr. Sessions said he could not recall specifically saying that. “I am loose with my tongue on occasion, and I may have said something similar to that or could be interpreted to that,” he testified.

More... http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/11/jeff_sessions_accused_of_making_racist_comments_35_years_ago.html

It never ends.

There are bad things to say; from what I read in the past, I don't think Sessions' remarks crossed the threshold of unacceptable.  I will reread the article, I may be wrong.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:17:54 am »
He made a freaking joke.

After coming back from the Gulf, one of my more obnoxious law school classmates asked me how i could shoot kids, and i gave her the classic "you just have to lead them a bit."

Sessions was doing the same thing.  Hope he gets nominated and confirmed just to tick off the bed-wetters.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:37:46 am »
"Boy", even though the negative connotation is saying it to an African American, "boy" is used or was used a lot in the past, maybe more in places like Alabama, no matter what skin color one was. I don't think they will be able to prove Sessions said this. So then, this other is just horsing around. I read something about this in the past.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 04:27:31 am »
I called this on TOS a year ago. It was bound to come up. It cost him a judgeship. He will NEVER be confirmed for a cabinet position.

This same incident/accusation cost him a judgeship?

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 04:31:20 am »
He made a freaking joke.

After coming back from the Gulf, one of my more obnoxious law school classmates asked me how i could shoot kids, and i gave her the classic "you just have to lead them a bit."

Sessions was doing the same thing.  Hope he gets nominated and confirmed just to tick off the bed-wetters.

Or a question is so stupid that you say yes when you should have said no. I've done that and wished I hadn't.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 09:59:57 am »
Hearsay from 35 years ago? I'm underwhelmed.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 02:10:26 pm »
35 years ago, there was Sandford and Son, Richard Pryor, back then, there was a lot of humor that today, would be slapped down as not being politically correct as well.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 03:05:55 pm »
35 years ago, there was Sandford and Son, Richard Pryor, back then, there was a lot of humor that today, would be slapped down as not being politically correct as well.

Ethnic humor was a staple of radio and television.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 03:06:05 pm »
LMAO!!! A vague accusation from 35 years ago?  That's all they have??

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 03:09:41 pm »

My personal idea for a "Snowflake Conversion Class": view two movies - Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Blazing Saddles. If that doesn't work, add an hour of Sam Kinison videos.

I don't think it's widely known that Richard Pryor was one of the screenwriters for Blazing Saddles. I would have loved to been a fly in the room when Mel Brooks and Pryor were collaborating.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:11:11 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline PoloSec

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »
Let's recall the esteemed Democrat Senator who served congress until 2010 some sixty years total, a man who was once a Exalted Cyclops of the KKK; always held in the highest regard by democrats, a man who used the phrase "White bleep" while a sitting Senator in the late 2009 while on Live TV, and the democrats always defended him in every step of his career until he died and I bet they all would still defend him today.  I know he said on one occasion he regretted his life in the KKK but I am pretty sure he never apologized for it.

The following is just some of the comments by Sen Robert Byrd:

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.
— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944

In 1997, Byrd told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics but also warned, "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena.  (Not exactly repentant only somewhat sorry for other young racists that they must hide their true thoughts and actions)

Now democrats want to stretch Sessions words to the breaking point in an effort to try and disgrace an honorable man who has not done or said anything of any real negative consequences to even a single minority.

The Democrats want us to forget all their continued deceit and phony outrage; let us continually remind them they are the supreme authority on how to practice racism and get away with it.

Facts, Reason, Logic and Common Sense when consistently applied ultimately leads to the proper conclusion!  It worked for our Founding Fathers.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »
My personal idea for a "Snowflake Conversion Class": view two movies - Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Blazing Saddles. If that doesn't work, add an hour of Sam Kinison videos.

I don't think it's widely known that Richard Pryor was one of the screenwriters for Blazing Saddles. I would have loved to been a fly in the room when Mel Brooks and Pryor were collaborating.

@Night Hides Not

Here's the Monty Python clip to show to the LGBTQ crowd to make their heasd explode, although this one is from Life of Brian.  Absolutely nails it.   Wish I could figure out how to embed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:18:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »

The way I heard it was that Pryor wrote the "white" parts and Brooks wrote the "black" parts.
They were probably cracking each other up the whole time.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 07:33:40 pm »
They had to go back 35 years....wow..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 07:36:01 pm »
Liberals and the media clearly think the "he's racist" accusation still works. As Trump just showed us, nobody cares anymore.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:28 pm »
This Movie was made some 40 years ago, would they be able to make something like this today?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 09:13:05 pm »
This Movie was made some 40 years ago, would they be able to make something like this today?

I believe in a recent interview, Mel Brooks stated it would be impossible to make Blazing Saddles today.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 09:43:27 pm »
Boy, I say Boy. This is, I say, this is ridiculous. A non issue that is.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:05 pm »
This magazine which I have on CDs published some outrageous things, if I didn't like something, I might shake my head, turn the page and just go on, they could not publish a lot of the things they did nowadays.

Shock jocks have probably done a lot of things in bad taste, I just tend not to listen to it, never listened to Stern. I listened to Imus and what he was called out on was pretty mild.

The lampoon started out if I have it right, by people like PJ O'Rourke and it went from Harvard lampoon to national.

Some of what they had was absolutely racist but it was almost done in a way to make fun of or poke fun at American culture without having a malicious element involved.