Author Topic: Students cancel annual ‘Speedo Hike,’ say it’s not inclusive enough to all body sizes  (Read 567 times)

rangerrebew

Students cancel annual ‘Speedo Hike,’ say it’s not inclusive enough to all body sizes
Jennifer Kabbany - Fix Editor •September 28, 2016
 388  1561 Share146  5
speedo1   

Concerns: ‘body image,’ ‘bro-iness’

The Claremont Colleges’ “On the Loose” outdoors club has canceled its annual Mt. Baldy Speedo Hike, in which male students typically don Speedos and female students bikinis as they trek up the mountain, citing concerns that the activity is not inclusive enough to all body shapes and fitness levels, and that it also sends an overly masculine message.

“By having the Speedo Hike as our official welcome event each year, we unintentionally sent the message that to participate in OTL, you must be fit and comfortable with your body image,” the student group stated this week on its Facebook page announcing the decision. “The name ‘Speedo’ itself inherently implies bro-iness. OTL is so much more than just that, but many potentially interested students get turned off to our club each year because of Speedo Hike. … We are always working to make OTL a more open and inclusive space …”

The club also said the hike is more difficult than people realize.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29226/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:16:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Our Country won’t go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race! -Chesty Puller
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
When I see stuff like this I always think of my Grandpa. He was 15 y/o when the Depression hit and he went thru it living in the deep South. It was much worse there than in the more industrialized North. Very desperate for many families.

My dad recalls in the late 60's, seeing all the worthless hippies running around doing their stupidity, Grandpa saying 'I wonder if it isn't time we had another Depression to straighten people out.'

It's articles like these that make me think he was on to something.

The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Well now they often call me "Speedo", but my real name is Mr. Earl.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

geronl

I think America and good taste wins this time.

Wingnut

I think America and good taste wins this time.

I don't want an america with good taste I want one that tastes good.-
-Charley