Author Topic: Growing university gap: Democratic professors now outnumber Republicans nearly 12 to 1 in top fields  (Read 757 times)

rangerrebew

Growing university gap: Democratic professors now outnumber Republicans nearly 12 to 1 in top fields
By Joseph Lawler (@josephlawler) • 10/3/16 10:55 AM
Tweet
Mail
Print
More

Registered Democratic professors outnumber Republican ones nearly 12 to 1 in economics, journalism, psychology and law programs at leading U.S. universities, according to new research.

Many departments at top schools have no registered Republicans, and in many cases, Republicans are outnumbered by registered members of third parties.

The analysis, published in the online journal Econ Journal Watch, presents new evidence that elite universities lean to the Left. It also suggests that Democratic partisanship may be increasing at those schools, as the Democrat-to-Republican ratio appears to have risen significantly in recent years and younger faculty are even more Democratic than their older peers.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/growing-university-gap-democratic-professors-now-outnumber-republicans-nearly-12-to-1-in-top-fields/article/2603428
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:56:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The left has very nearly won insofar as education goes...

Offline endicom

The left has very nearly won insofar as education goes...

There are a few thousand colleges from which to choose so find some without safe spaces and you may be good to go. Online programs are proliferating so the choice may be wide.

Offline The_Reader_David

Well, given the claim about "top fields", I'm glad to see "top fields" don't include mathematics (which now houses most of the trivium and quadrivium) or any of the natural sciences.  Of course, the fact that mathematics and the natural sciences are not included in the author's notion of "top fields" calls into question his or her understanding of the nature of a university.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

In my senior year I had a professor that I simply could not understand. I wasn't just her thick accent, I had plenty of professors and TAs with heavy accents, it was also that she came to class completely unprepared, spoke very quietly (usually facing the chalkboard) and frankly just didn't seem interested in even trying to get her point across.  I was not the only one who complained.  She was not a competent instructor.

However, when I brought this up with the department, I was informed that her research brought in lots of grant money.  I responded that since I was paying tuition to receive an education, I felt like I should be provided with at least a semi-professional level of service.  This concept simply didn't register with some very intelligent people.  They were there to spend other people's money to do research, and teaching was an unavoidable part of the deal.  The concept that we, the students, were their customers simply didn't seem to register with them (or they didn't care?).

That was when I realized that academia was not for me.

And then a friend graduated and went to work for a company writing grant proposals.  Seriously, there are professors spending other people's money to (find someone else to) beg for other people's money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.