Author Topic: Students told not to use term ‘Greek Life’ because of ‘cultural appropriation’  (Read 1290 times)

rangerrebew

Students told not to use term ‘Greek Life’ because of ‘cultural appropriation’
Jason Chulack - UC Merced •October 5, 2016
 76  98 Share1  0
greeklife   

Students involved in a fraternity or sorority at the University of California Merced have been instructed not to use the terms “Greek,” “rush” or “pledge” because they are “appropriating Greek culture” and are “non-inclusive,” several students told The College Fix.

In particular, they’ve been told:

Replace “Greek Life” with “Fraternity and Sorority Life”

Replace “rush” with “recruitment”

Replace “pledge” with “potential new member”

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29333/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:32:56 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Virtually every word spoken by Americans has been "appropriated" from some other language so what makes "Greek Life" so exceptional it shouldn't be used?  Oooooh!  It's progressive PC at it's worst. ****slapping

Online mountaineer

"Rush" is a Greek word? Mr. Limbaugh might be surprised.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

James Madison U. Gives Students Seven Page Guide to Free Speech
Comments

Posted by Aleister      Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 1:30pm

Here’s what you can’t say…
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/James_Madison_University_2.jpeg   

If you need seven pages to describe which types of speech qualify as free speech, aren’t you sending a mixed message? George Orwell would be proud.

The College Fix reports:

University distributes seven-page speech guide

’35 dumb things well-intended people say’ list passed out to James Madison University student orientation leaders

Student leaders of this year’s freshman orientation at James Madison University were given a list of 35 things they should avoid saying, including phrases such as “you have such a pretty face,” “love the sinner, hate the sin,” “we’re all part of the human race,” “I treat all people the same,” “it was only a joke,” “I never owned slaves,” and “people just need to pick themselves up by their bootstraps,” among other expressions.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Virtually every word spoken by Americans has been "appropriated" from some other language so what makes "Greek Life" so exceptional it shouldn't be used?  Oooooh!  It's progressive PC at it's worst. ****slapping
Yep, our entire language is appropriated. What about when other country's transliterate the word "computer" into their language. Is that cultural appropriation?

I guess we can't accuse people of living a Bohemian lifestyle any more. If you are in Rome don't do as the Romans do, that would be cultural appropriation.

I'm starting to think that all of my dreams of traveling to other lands was just so I could appropriate their culture. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They don't seem to understand that the whole use of the term 'cultural appropriation' is in itself racist. How exactly do you own a culture and prevent others from not using any part of it?
The Republic is lost.

Online dfwgator

They don't seem to understand that the whole use of the term 'cultural appropriation' is in itself racist. How exactly do you own a culture and prevent others from not using any part of it?
So does that mean black women shouldn't straighten their hair anymore?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
So does that mean black women shouldn't straighten their hair anymore?

To not let them do that would be racist. The rules only apply to whites and especially WASPs.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
To not let them do that would be racist. The rules only apply to whites and especially WASPs.
And let's not forget our culture itself is racist. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
And let's not forget our culture itself is racist. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Although it would be tempting to tell anyone of non-English ancestry that they could no longer use English, because that is cultural appropriation.

That'd really make it hit the fan.
The Republic is lost.