Author Topic: Science shows Thomas Hobbes was right – which is why the Right-wing rule the Earth  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Jemima Lewis

29 September 2016 • 9:25pm

The state of nature is a war of all against all. Hooray! Credit: Steve Bloom/Barcroft Media

A Tory MP once told me, when I complained that I couldn’t identify my political tribe, that all politics boils down to one question. Who was right: Hobbes or Rousseau?

It was surprising – and somehow consoling – to think that behind every parliamentary skirmish over tax credits or NHS funding lies something much deeper: a 300-year-old philosophical dispute about the origins of evil.

"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains."Jean-Jacques Rousseau

In the Right-wing corner we have Thomas Hobbes, founding father of political philosophy, who argued that man is born wicked and must be civilised. Left in a “state of nature”, Hobbes famously argued, our lives would be “nasty, brutish and short”. We would fight continually over power and resources. Deference to authority is therefore an act of self-preservation: we put our faith in strong leaders, and civic institutions such as the law, to save us from ourselves....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/09/29/science-shows-thomas-hobbes-was-right--which-is-why-the-right-wi/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
And, here's the article mentioned:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=227624.new#new

Excellent posts. It may be further demonstrated that reason does not lead to morality, but rather to a state rather more like the organism in the remake of "The Thing". Utterly superior, utterly immoral and wantonly, indiscriminately destructive. 

Without God, there is no morality because God is a symbol for Objective Morality aka, an absolute Right and Wrong which does not change according to context.

That is why philosophies such as Marxism and Satanism (aka Thelema in the Aleistair Crowely system) rapidly and inevitably lead to violence, needless suffering, licentiousness and self-annihilation, regardless of the overtly held/expressed motives at the root of the movement.*

*Though he professed that his brand of Satanism was "benign and centered on love and freedom" Crowley is widely thought to have engaged in pederasty human sacrifice, specifically child murder in several of the poorer, less-civilized nations in which he travelled ( such as Arab and sub-Saharan African nations).   
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I always favored Locke's views on nature myself, but the article makes an excellent point.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour