Author Topic: Law firm argues on behalf of Detroit students: ‘constitutional right to literacy’  (Read 563 times)

rangerrebew

Law firm argues on behalf of Detroit students: ‘constitutional right to literacy’
Dave Huber - Assistant Editor •September 17, 2016
 28  14 Share0  0
lawsuit-shutterstock-ec   

The latest attempt at “fixing” broken education systems has come in the form of a lawsuit filed by several students in Detroit’s public schools.

Backed by the Los Angeles-based firm Public Counsel, the students’ suit is “seeking to establish a legal right to literacy based on the 14th amendment of the constitution,” reports ABC News.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29044/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:54:35 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Everyone has a "right" to literacy (education); some choose to take advantage of it, others don't.

Online mountaineer

I have a right to shoot 72 or better on my next golf outing. Where's my lawyer?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What they have is the freedom to learn.

What they don't have is the desire or will to learn.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Of course everyone has a right to literacy.

The problem is that the argument that these people are making is that there exists the right to have someone else pay for and provide those students with it.

The question of whether or not the right to the fruit of someone else's labor exists was decisively settled in places like Gettysburg and Appottamox.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx