Author Topic: Senate Majority Whip Senator John Cornyn Says He Won’t Be Helping Ted Cruz In His Reelection Bid  (Read 11495 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

@AbaraXas

I think you've described the situation pretty well. When the party and its leaders no longer espouse the things you believe in, its time to get out. Cruz's inability to put his country and his party over his own "principles" render him a Republican in name only. This will become more apparent when Trump wins and the GOP challenges Cruz for his Senate seat.

Which is worse, being a RINO, or a CINO?

Offline Longmire

Which is worse, being a RINO, or a CINO?

They're both just labels but I suppose it would depend whether you identify as a die hard Republican or die hard Conservative.

Recent behavior by the DC establishment informs me that the old Left/Right Democrat/Republican paradigm is crumbling. Cruz leaving the GOP would solidify his position outside the DC establishment and would better define the transition taking place. I doubt he has the courage to do that however.

Offline Fantom

Both were running to be a first time Senator.  Incumbent Republican U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison decided to retire instead of running for re-election to a fourth full term.

Not only that but Dewhurst was the LT Governor. The most powerful position in TX. A non-endorsement is a tacit endorsement of his opposition.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

To be fair, however, Cornyn also refuses to endorse or back McCaul in his reelection bid.

"I'm not going to get involved in any primary races particularly with my colleagues in the Senate,
" Cornyn said. "We'll see what happens, but we've got plenty to worry about between now and November 2016 before we start worrying about November 2018."

So, uh, why is this a story?  As it turns out, Cornyn doesn't endorse anyone in presidential primaries either.  He didn't endorse McCain in 2008 until after Romney dropped out, and didn't endorse Romney in 2012 until April, when he pretty much had the nomination locked up.

http://amarillo.com/news/2016-04-07/john-cornyn-still-not-endorsing-ted-cruz

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Perceived slight...what color koolaid are these folks drinking?  :shrug:

LOL!

Cruz, and only Cruz, put himself in an untenable political position.  If Trump loses, Cruz carries that stain forward.  If Trump wins, Cruz is (even further) marginalized.

For a smart man, it appears having an aptitude for strategy is not in his wheelhouse.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I looked long and hard at Senator Cruz and was ready to give him my full support.  Now, I don't know what to make of him.  Maybe the next time.

Offline aligncare

Voters seem in the mood for change. And that's a good thing.

I see you're new here, @EdJames. Welcome!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:33:16 pm by aligncare »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15

We can only hope.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Fantom

If Trump loses, Cruz carries that stain forward.

Nope, only a nutjob named trump is responsible for his loss.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Thank you alingcate, I too am looking for a change.  8 years of Obama has caused severe damage, 8 years of Hillary will more or less ice the cake, the way that I see it.

Offline flowers

I looked long and hard at Senator Cruz and was ready to give him my full support.  Now, I don't know what to make of him.  Maybe the next time.

Howdy I see you are new here!  Enjoy! @EdJames

Offline aligncare

Looking forward to seeing more of you. Cheers!  :patriot:

Offline bilo

LOL!

Cruz, and only Cruz, put himself in an untenable political position.  If Trump loses, Cruz carries that stain forward.  If Trump wins, Cruz is (even further) marginalized.

For a smart man, it appears having an aptitude for strategy is not in his wheelhouse.

This is the biggest pile of stinking garbage I've seen in a long while. What kind of man supports someone who insults his wife. promotes lies about some "alleged extramarital affairs", creates conspiracies about his father being involved in killing a POTUS, and lies about his campaign tactics. I have no respect for any of the candidates who were treated badly by Trump and now support him.

If there is no place for Sen Cruz in this "new" Pub party count me out.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Fantom

This is the biggest pile of stinking garbage I've seen in a long while. What kind of man supports someone who insults his wife. promotes lies about some "alleged extramarital affairs", creates conspiracies about his father being involved in killing a POTUS, and lies about his campaign tactics. I have no respect for any of the candidates who were treated badly by Trump and now support him.

Yep, my take is that the GOPE and trump are forging the new Democrat party. Or rather the old one circa 1970.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Longmire

Talk to Cruz, its his move.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
LOL. So Cruz not getting an endorsement from an establishment hack is a bad thing? Nice try. Thanks for playing.

God PLEASE let it be true!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I might have to spend some money in 2020 to unseat Cornyn.  POS RINO.....

I'm sure Mr. cruz will also be in for some payback.

I'll assure you that I will be HEAVILY involved in that effort!  As a matter of fact, I didn't vote for the POS in his LAST primary!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

LOL!

Yeah.  "Vote your conscience" is to Trumpkins what a cross is to Dracula. 

Trump is going to lose and Cruz is going to win his reelection bid handily.  McCaul won't even challenge him.

Texas Republicans are not enthralled with Trump.   
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
LOL!

If you really think Ted Cruz is in ANY kind of "untenable" political position you are even more crazy than I first imagined!

At the VERY least Ted Cruz will be a U.S. Senator from Texas for as long as he desires the position!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longmire

At the VERY least Ted Cruz will be a U.S. Senator from Texas for as long as he desires the position!

Cruz will be opposed by a well financed opponent in the GOP primary and if Trump loses it'll be someone already polling ahead of him in Texas.

He's gonna be toast, the only question is how burnt.  :laugh:

Offline libertybele

If you really think Ted Cruz is in ANY kind of "untenable" political position you are even more crazy than I first imagined!

:hands:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sinkspur

Cruz will be opposed by a well financed opponent in the GOP primary and if Trump loses it'll be someone already polling ahead of him in Texas.

He's gonna be toast, the only question is how burnt.  :laugh:

LOL!  Do you live in Texas?  Even if you do, you don't know jack.  Trump is not all that popular in Texas, not like previous nominees.  Cruz  (while I can't really stand him) IS popular and will win reelection easily. 

Almost any GOP officeholder polls ahead of Trump in Texas.  Texas GOP Senators tend to be lifers (i.e., Kay Bailey Hutchison) and Cruz will be no different because he knows how to work his state.

And, if Trump loses, Cruz can crow about not endorsing an 'effing loser.

Offline corbe

The hate for Christy, Carson, Coulter, Rush, Sowell and even Levin is only skin deep, BUT the hate the Trumpsters have for CRUZ is BONE DEEP.

Outrage builds after San Antonio mattress company makes Twin Tower commerciAl
Ksat.com ^ | 9-8-16

To: InvisibleChurch
And I’m always being told New York is a hellhole and Texas is the bastion of American values. At least, Ted Cruz told me that.

4 posted on ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎09‎:‎07‎ ‎PM by miss marmelstein (Richard the Third: With my own people alone I should like to drive away the Muslims)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

5 posted on ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎10‎:‎15‎ ‎PM by Lurkinanloomin (Know Islam, No Peace - No Islam , Know Peace)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

6 posted on ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016‎ ‎6‎:‎11‎:‎56‎ ‎PM by miss marmelstein (Richard the Third: With my own people alone I should like to drive away the Muslims)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:46:28 am by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Well, putting aside your rather frightening imagination, Ted Cruz is between that proverbial rock and a hard place in the Republican Party.  He, the man, has been extremely disliked since he stepped foot in the Capitol.  His not supporting the Republican nominee has deepened this dislike.  No matter the outcome of the election, Ted Cruz has seriously hurt himself within the Party.

He can always leave the party----but this would be another unsuccessful tantrum because the line holding the door open for him would long and deep.     

Untenable. :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

Well, putting aside your rather frightening imagination, Ted Cruz is between that proverbial rock and a hard place in the Republican Party.  He, the man, has been extremely disliked since he stepped foot in the Capitol.  His not supporting the Republican nominee has deepened this dislike.  No matter the outcome of the election, Ted Cruz has seriously hurt himself within the Party.

He can always leave the party----but this would be another unsuccessful tantrum because the line holding the door open for him would long and deep.     

Untenable. :shrug:

Hey, toots.  Cruz is popular in Texas, and that's all the approval he needs.

Not endorsing Trump is a badge of honor for him.  Trump is going to lose, and, when he does, Cruz will look like a friggin' genius.

Trump will likely leave the GOP and return to his natural, longstanding home with the Democrats.