Author Topic: Senate Majority Whip Senator John Cornyn Says He Won’t Be Helping Ted Cruz In His Reelection Bid  (Read 11573 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sorry about that.  Just read the thread and couldn't resist replying and when you live in Maui, you get the last word because no one else is awake.

Nothing to be sorry for!  TRUTH is always welcomed here!  At least by some of us!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@corbe

Dewhurst beat him by 10 points in the first round (44-34), not exactly a ringing endorsement of Cruz's base support...

In fact Cruz was down for the count before Sarah Palin got involved, something Cruz himself readily acknowledges.

So yeah, squeaker...and no mama grizzly to pull his fat out of the fire in 2018.

Cruz started wit 2% name ID. Dewhurst was the sitting, and very personally wealthy, Lt. Governor and he got his political career ended very decisively by Cruz!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

@Emjay
The inability to distinguish valid criticism from mindless hatred is a hallmark of cognitive dissonance.  :seeya:
I know valid criticism when I see it.

There's been pitiful little of it from the Trump folks where Cruz is concerned.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:36:44 pm by skeeter »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Cruz started wit 2% name ID. Dewhurst was the sitting, and very personally wealthy, Lt. Governor and he got his political career ended very decisively by Cruz!

According to his book, a runoff against Dewhurst was exactly what Ted Cruz was hoping for.

Offline Longmire

Cruz started wit 2% name ID.

Cruz had a much bigger profile than that, he was the Texas state solicitor general for a decade and argued cases in front of the USSC.

Keep trying hoss.

Offline sinkspur

Longmire, never said this before to you, understand that I don't want to make trouble for you either by what I'm about to say.

Don't take this the wrong way. But, I need to take this opportunity to tell you - YOU ROCK.

Carry-on.

Be careful, Longmire.  The tongue bath comes next.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Cruz had a much bigger profile than that, he was the Texas state solicitor general for a decade and argued cases in front of the USSC.

Keep trying hoss.

Uh, quick. Name the solicitor general of the US.

See? 

Cruz had no name recognition in Texas. 

Offline thackney

Keep trying hoss.

Take a look at the news from that time, instead of trying to make up your own history.

Tea Party Win: 3 Reasons Why Ted Cruz Won the Texas Election
https://mic.com/articles/12210/tea-party-win-3-reasons-why-ted-cruz-won-the-texas-election#.2rJsdRhr1
August 03, 2012

Once seen as nearly impossible due to his lack of name recognition and funding, former Solicitor General of Texas Ted Cruz beat Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst on July 31 in a primary runoff to win his first election and become the Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Texas. This is being billed by “the grassroots” (a phrase Cruz uses every thirty seconds) as the ultimate Tea Party triumph, a slaying of dragons bigger even than the takedown of longtime Senator Lugar of Indiana earlier in this primary cycle.

- - - - - - - - - -

How Ted Cruz did it
http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/02/how-ted-cruz-did-it/
 08/02/2012

...When Cruz’s eventual campaign manager told me in early 2011 that the former Texas solicitor general would likely run for retiring U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison’s Senate seat, I scoffed at the idea. The race was beyond his reach, he couldn’t raise enough money, he had never been on the ballot before, other likely candidates possessed statewide name recognition and Cruz’s Hispanic surname would hurt him in a Republican primary.

But Cruz and his team were undeterred by the naysayers. They went to work.

In Texas, if a primary candidate wins less than 50% of the vote, the top two primary candidates advance to a runoff. Cruz’s biggest insight was that he could win a runoff against Dewhurst; the hard part would be making it to the runoff....

- - - - - - - - - - -

Paul Sadler says Ted Cruz is unknown to vast majority of Texans
http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/aug/20/paul-sadler/paul-sadler-says-ted-cruz-unknown-vast-majority-te/
August 20th, 2012

The night that Ted Cruz won the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate, the Democrats’ nominee characterized Cruz as an inexperienced man of mystery.

In his July 31, 2012, statement, former state Rep. Paul Sadler, who also won a runoff that night, said: "Because of low turnout and outside money, a loud angry mob inside the Republican Party... nominated Ted Cruz who is untested, untried and unknown to the vast majority of Texans."
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline chae

Oh wow, knock me over with a feather!  A member of the GOP establishment won't support Cruz?  How is this not a positive point in Cruz's favor?

"Some men change their party for the sake of their principles; others their principles for the sake of their party"--Winston Churchill

Offline Longmire

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:33:27 pm by Longmire »

Online Right_in_Virginia

Ted Cruz certainly has the courage to do what he thinks is right and best for the country.

What Cruz did has nothing to do with the good of the country ... and everything to do with the good of Rafael Cruz, Jr.

And it has backfired. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

Do you realize what you just said?  Cruz has all the power.  Trump will lose ... badly ... it will be all Cruz's doing.  What a guy!  He can make or break elections.

Last time:  IF Trump loses, Cruz will carry the stain---whether you like it or not--whether you believe it or not. That's just how it's gonna be.  :shrug:

Offline EtX

• Ready for Trump
Interesting how some now believe that someone is not an actual Conservative because he neither endorsed or reputed the parties candidate and not by his actual record. So I guess all the real sellout out, cross the aisle liberal toadies are now real conservatives, as long as they endorsed Lord Trump that is.

I suppose until election day we will continue getting trumpbot misrepresented versions of fact in their breathless endeavor to get all in the lemming march toward the mystical cliff.

McLame was just a practice run on holding nose in voting booth.

Offline sinkspur

What Cruz did has nothing to do with the good of the country ... and everything to do with the good of Rafael Cruz, Jr.

And it has backfired.

It has not backfired.  When Trump is crushed, Ted will look like a genius.

You, on the other hand................................

Offline sinkspur

Last time:  IF Trump loses, Cruz will carry the stain---whether you like it or not--whether you believe it or not. That's just how it's gonna be.  :shrug:

In your mind, Cruz will carry a stain.

The vast majority of Texans will be glad we dodged a bullet.

Offline SirLinksALot

What Cruz did has nothing to do with the good of the country ..

And it has backfired.

Here is what Ted Cruz said in the convention:

If you love our country, and love your children as much as I know that you do, stand and speak and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution.

Explain to me why it has "nothing to do with the good of the country .."

As for backfiring. Let's ask ourselves...

Why are so many Republicans outraged by the exhortation to vote according to conscience? Aren't they confident in the case for Trump? Aren't they assured that he fits the description of a candidate "who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution"? Shouldn't this be a moment of affirmation? Shouldn't Republicans be able to honestly declare their conscientious support for their party's nominee?

The boo's only tell me that the Republican party is not really conservative any longer.

Offline GrouchoTex

I think things in DC would be considerably different if state legislatures chose senators again.

When state legislators could easily remove a sitting senator, those senators had good reason to put their state first.

That is a good point.

Offline aligncare

And it has backfired.

They will not consider even remotely the possibility that Ted Cruz was simply a politician, and not a very good one at that.

I do have some evidence to support my opinion, though. He came in a distant second, and in the Bible belt, came in a distant distant second -- to a New York "liberal."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:50:35 pm by aligncare »

Offline Longmire

Take a look at the news from that time, instead of trying to make up your own history.

I see a story that lists name recognition as a third level concern for Cruz behind money and campaign experience, and another story quoting a democrat opponent saying Cruz is unknown.

Nothing objective showing him at 2% name recognition when the race started.  :pondering:

As I stated before, as an experienced solicitor general, Cruz had a higher profile than that in the state of Texas.

Offline sinkspur

I see a story that lists name recognition as a third level concern for Cruz behind money and campaign experience, and another story quoting a democrat opponent saying Cruz is unknown.

Nothing objective showing him at 2% name recognition when the race started.  :pondering:

As I stated before, as an experienced solicitor general, Cruz had a higher profile than that in the state of Texas.

You're completely wrong, but, then you know that by now.

Offline GrouchoTex

They will not consider even remotely the possibility that Ted Cruz was simply a politician, and not a very good one at that.

I do have some evidence to support my opinion, though. He came in a distant second, and in the Bible belt, came in a distant distant second.

I concur that Cruz is a politician, and like all, should be scrutinized, just like every other one out there.
I like his stances he has taken and I see no reason not to re-elect him in 2018, as one of our states U.S. senators.

As far as being a politician goes,I, for one, am glad he is "not a very good one at that".

Dewhurst and Cornyn would fall into the category of what a "good politician" is, in my book.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 02:54:59 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You're completely wrong, but, then you know that by now.

He's being purposefully obtuse.  Just like another poster we all know.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

I concur that Cruz is a politician, and like all, should be scrutinized, just like every other one out there.
I like his stances he has taken and I see no reason not to re-elect him in 2018, as one of our states U.S. senators.

As far as being a politician goes,I, for one, am glad he is "not a very good one at that".

Dewhurst and Cornyn would fall into the category of what a "good politician" is, in my book.

In my book, "good politician" = REMF
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

In my book, "good politician" = REMF

Sorry, I do not know the reference, REMF

Offline skeeter

In your mind. Not everyone shares the perspective of the Trump "enthusiast".

Thankfully.