Author Topic: Trump closes up shop in New Jersey  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Trump closes up shop in New Jersey
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:46 pm »
http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2016/08/trump-nj-headquarters-closed-not-long-after-it-opened-104651

Donald Trump and his supporters claimed, once the Republican nomination was wrapped up, that traditionally blue New Jersey could be in play come November.

With great fanfare, Trump's campaign opened a New Jersey office on May 3 in Edison, which attracted a crowd of more than 1,000 supporters, according to a local news account.

Later that month, when one statewide poll showed Trump within 4 points of Hillary Clinton in the state, the Republican nominee projected confidence about the outcome.

”I think so,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity on May 31, when asked if he could win New Jersey. “I mean, I love New Jersey. I am New Jersey. Like a second home. I have property there. I have a lot of employees there. And frankly, I think we're going to do well."

But the Trump campaign appears to have pulled up stakes in the Garden State.

After two messages left at the number of Trump’s New Jersey headquarters were not returned, POLITICO visited the nondescript suburban complex listed as its address.

That office no longer exists.

There were few signs the Trump campaign ever occupied the now-vacant office space — save for several peeled-off Trump campaign stickers visible through the front door.

Trump's latest FEC filing shows the campaign last made a rent payment on May 11 for the Edison property. The campaign vacated the office at least a month ago, according to two employees of the paper company located next door.

Republican state Sen. Joseph Pennacchio, one of Trump’s few vocal backers in the New Jersey Legislature, said the campaign’s plan all along was to close the office after New Jersey’s primary on June 7.

But that timing was odd. The opening party for the Edison headquarters was the same night as the Indiana primary, when Trump’s victory over Ted Cruz essentially sealed the Republican nomination for Trump, making future contests, including New Jersey’s, a formality.

The invitation to the opening event did not mention that the headquarters was meant to be temporary, and even Pennacchio acknowledged he was unaware of the plan at the time.

“I didn’t get that memo either,” Pennacchio said.

Pennacchio said the Trump campaign hopes to open another office in New Jersey, though he knows of no immediate plans to do so.

A spokesperson for Trump's campaign, Hope Hicks, did not return a request for comment.

The scaling back in New Jersey comes as Trump's campaign has attempted to professionalize its operations and focus on a handful of key states, following Trump's grand pronouncements during the primary that he would compete in states like California and New York.

Despite Trump's professed bullishness after trailing by just four points in May, a more recent poll showed Clinton with a double-digit lead. New Jersey has 700,000 more registered Democrats than Republicans and hasn't voted for a GOP presidential candidate since 1988.

Catherine Martinez, New Jersey state director for the Trump campaign, did not return a call to her cell phone or a Twitter message.

Martinez was paid just over $10,000 by the Trump campaign on May 31, but did not receive any payments in June (aside from a travel reimbursement).

Two other staffers were also paid within a few days of the June 7 primary.

Spencer Silverman, a Franklin & Marshall student who served as an intern for Chris Christie until March, but now lists himself as the New Jersey field director for the Trump campaign, according to his LinkedIn page, was paid just over $5,000 on June 8.

Leonel Cantiolo, who also lists himself as the campaign's New Jersey field director, was paid $3,261 on June 10. Neither received additional payments in June. Spending data for July is not yet available.

By contrast, Hillary Clinton opened four campaign headquarters in New Jersey, including one at the Middlesex County Democratic headquarters, located in Metuchen, just a few miles from the site of the former Trump headquarters.

POLITICO also visited that office unannounced and found a few people inside, surrounded by Hillary Clinton campaign signs, cardboard cutouts of Clinton and President Obama, and a list of phone bank volunteers on a clipboard. Nobody in the office wanted to comment, instead referring questions to Middlesex County Democratic Chairman Kevin McCabe and a spokeswoman, Julie Roginsky.

McCabe said about 15 to 20 volunteers come to the Middlesex office about twice a week to make calls for the Clinton campaign, often calling voters in other, more competitive states.

Roginsky, a Democratic strategist, said the fact that the Trump campaign opened an office and shut it down so quickly was “all smoke and mirrors.”

“It’s not a surprise that he’s written off New Jersey because for the first time in my political life, he has to worry about winning states like Arizona and Georgia,” Roginsky said.

Trump's New Jersey supporters remain hopeful that he will make inroads in the state.

Asked how Trump could compete in deep blue New Jersey when Clinton is competing in traditionally Republican state, Pennacchio said “the election is three months from now.”

“Hopefully ... all the white noise stops and we can start focusing in on Hillary Clinton,” he said.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:34:58 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump closes up shop in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »
I guess Snooki will have to find another candidate to support.    :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »
After getting blown off for the VP slot, I bet Christie told Manafort to pack up and get out.   :silly:
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 05:15:17 pm »
Cruz's fault.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

geronl

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »
Once he was done getting the nomination, anything resembling an actual campaign ended.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:48:54 pm »
Once he was done getting the nomination, anything resembling an actual campaign ended.

Correct!

Offline Dirt for sale

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 06:03:29 pm »
"Potemkin village" came to mind. In the article they call it smoke and mirrors. A Potemkin campaign, built to give this farce the appearance of a duel, also to give Hillary her dues. I bet that commenter yesterday was right; trump will parley infamy for fame come 2017. Part of his payoff for being such a useful schlemeil.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 06:43:34 pm »
After getting blown off for the VP slot, I bet Christie told Manafort to pack up and get out.   :silly:

He is depending on rallies and twitter to win the election.  He will have workers in the battleground states and that will be it.  He is also not spending HIS money anymore (his campaign contributions paid him back for the money he spent in the primary), so no television ads unless the national Republican Party gives him money. 

I read a piece on here today that one of his campaign people said he is exhausted and only getting sleep in two hour naps.  That person said he is folding physically.   He may be ready to give it up as the polls show him going down more and more.

I am watching him at a rally right now in Erie, Penn., and he does look different, his face looks stale, like it doesn't know what is being said.  The mouth is saying something but his face isn't with it.  His eyes are slits, mostly closed, not wide open.   His voice is affected, too.  Not bombastic as usual, more forced.  He needs cough drops to keep his vocal cords moving well.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 06:49:45 pm »
He is depending on rallies and twitter to win the election.  He will have workers in the battleground states and that will be it.  He is also not spending HIS money anymore (his campaign contributions paid him back for the money he spent in the primary), so no television ads unless the national Republican Party gives him money. 

I read a piece on here today that one of his campaign people said he is exhausted and only getting sleep in two hour naps.  That person said he is folding physically.   He may be ready to give it up as the polls show him going down more and more.

I am watching him at a rally right now in Erie, Penn., and he does look different, his face looks stale, like it doesn't know what is being said.  The mouth is saying something but his face isn't with it.  His eyes are slits, mostly closed, not wide open.   His voice is affected, too.  Not bombastic as usual, more forced.  He needs cough drops to keep his vocal cords moving well.

His 70 years have finally caught up to him then, and he's finding out the hard way that he actually has to work in a campaign. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »
I think it was the ghost of the late, great Bob Grant made him do it.

Edison also has some wonderful Indian restaurants and the world famous REO diner. Maybe Trump doesn't like Indian food or NJ diners.

Or maybe he feels he has the NYC voters in his pocket and Christie will do something to make him carry my state.

He doesn't have my vote.

Ping @rodamala
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:46:23 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 07:53:05 pm »
@Freya

Great avatar!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 07:55:54 pm »
@Freya

Great avatar!

Thank you! I like your name on here. I'm trying to learn to play guitar but it's difficult.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:33 pm »

Thank you! I like your name on here. I'm trying to learn to play guitar but it's difficult.

Stick with it.  It's worth the effort.

Out of Towner:  "Excuse me, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
Pedestrian:       "Practice!"

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:10:23 pm »

I saw a clip of him yesterday, he had absolutely no energy.  He actually seemed stoned.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 08:19:34 pm »
Quote from: Pollutico
Leonel Cantiolo, who also lists himself as the campaign's New Jersey field director, was paid $3,261 on June 10. Neither received additional payments in June. Spending data for July is not yet available.

By contrast, Hillary Clinton opened four campaign headquarters in New Jersey, including one at the Middlesex County Democratic headquarters, located in Metuchen, just a few miles from the site of the former Trump headquarters.

Once Trump found out that there was already a Democrat campaign HQ in New Jersey, he stopped paying his staff.  He figured there were at least four other job opportunities out there for them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:13 pm »
Once Trump found out that there was already a Democrat campaign HQ in New Jersey, he stopped paying his staff.  He figured there were at least four other job opportunities out there for them.

888high58888

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 08:53:49 pm »
Now lets talk Florida.

Donald Trump has 1 Field office in Florida. Romney at this time in the election had 10.

This is part of why the RNC is having this "come to Jesus" meeting with him. If he's not going to run a serious campaign they would rather direct money to hold the Senate and House seats rather that throw it away on his campaign.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

HonestJohn

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 11:45:39 pm »
Now lets talk Florida.

Donald Trump has 1 Field office in Florida. Romney at this time in the election had 10.

This is part of why the RNC is having this "come to Jesus" meeting with him. If he's not going to run a serious campaign they would rather direct money to hold the Senate and House seats rather that throw it away on his campaign.

How many come to Jesus meetings does this now make it?