Author Topic: I lost my seat in Congress because I stood up to Washington elites [Huelskamp]  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-lost-my-seat-in-congress-because-i-stood-up-to-washington-elites/2016/08/05/9a601fb6-5aba-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html

After a hard-fought race, I was disappointed on Tuesday to lose the primary to represent Kansas’s “Big First’”congressional district. Representing the citizens of Kansas has been a great honor. I hope that they — and other folks across the United States — will now heed my warning.

Americans are frustrated with what they see on Capitol Hill: career politicians wholly owned by special-interest groups. But why are so few elected officials willing to cast bold votes to reduce government spending, address the massive national debt, secure our border, stop the flow of unvetted refugees into the United States and so on? They’re afraid of being primaried by big-money Washington elites.

When I was elected to Congress in the conservative tea party wave of 2010, I committed both to my family and Kansans that I would not become a creature of Washington, that I would be willing to cast tough votes and that I would stand up to my own party when necessary. I have fought tooth and nail for accountable, open and limited government. For this, I was punished by my party’s leadership when I refused to support massive spending and borrowing that more reflected President Obama’s priorities than conservatives’. In Washington, it turns out that keeping your promises makes you a lot of enemies — especially in Republican circles.

In my case, the billionaires who ran ads that helped Hillary Clinton win Iowa worked against me — putting nearly a million dollars toward attacking me and supporting my opponent. A super PAC called the Ending Spending Action Fund (ESA Fund) — which masquerades as a small government organization and is funded by wealthy GOP establishment donors — has been working against me for months, despite my strong record on fiscal policy. In addition, another super PAC deceptively named Strong Leadership for America spent nearly $300,000 against me.

My opponents relied on false and deceptive information in their attacks. From Day One, they tried to claim I couldn’t adequately represent Kansas’s farming interests since I was kicked off the House Agriculture Committee by then-Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), despite the fact that I am a fifth-generation farmer. But very little of the outside spending against me came from agricultural groups. My opponents said I was a Washington insider, that I was a key ally of Obama, that I hated the military and even that I was associated with Planned Parenthood — all shameful lies.

Even the U.S. Chamber of Commerce joined the assault at the end. That should be no surprise: Its top policy priorities include passing amnesty for millions illegally in this country, keeping their crony Export-Import-Bank alive and maintaining a regulation-obsessed IRS that benefits the largest corporations at the expense of America’s small businesses — all of which I oppose, but for which my opponent will be a reliable yes vote.

Too many representatives come to Washington and go along to get along. These individuals are automatic yes votes for party leadership and special interests regardless of how bad the policy may be for not just their district — but also the nation. The result is an unsecured border, unrestrained government spending and $19.5 trillion in debt.

It is my hope that the people of the “Big First” of Kansas, and all Americans, hold their elected representatives accountable and remember that Congress belongs to them — not the special-interests groups that bought this primary. It is also my hope that my loss won’t deter other principled conservatives from voting their conscience in office and staying accountable to the people, not the Washington elites destroying our country.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Fantom

Essentially.. if the Chamber of Commerce is against you... you have the right enemy's... same as if the Unions are against you.

GOPE won one.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Crazieman

I had sent some money.  Don't live in his district though.  Couldn't vote.
Mixed-race Mutt.
Your racist accusations are invalid.

Start thinking Constitutionally and stop thinking in groups.

Offline Fantom

I hope he fights back and comes back.  He is a rising star.  This is just one set back.  DO YOU HEAR ME HUELSKAMP?  Stay the course and run again.  This man could make it to the White House one day.  He is very solid.

Yep... :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline kevindavis007

Maybe he lost his seat cause the people in his district didn't like the job he was doing? People like him could be blame the Washington Elites, but in the end of the day it boils down in how the people think he is doing the job. He should take responsibility for his loss.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Representing the people is no longer allowed in Washington!  You must get in step with the cartel or face the consequences!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Drewsmum

Maybe he lost his seat cause the people in his district didn't like the job he was doing? People like him could be blame the Washington Elites, but in the end of the day it boils down in how the people think he is doing the job. He should take responsibility for his loss.

No he's right.  When he stood up them, they snatched the AG committee spot from him.  That was used against him by his opponent, (that he lost the spot), but the truth wasn't told as to WHY. 

Many KS folks are attributing that to his loss. Even saying that's why they didn't vote for him. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

No one takes responsibility for anything any more. We live in a world made up of entitled victims of a greater dark force.

Want to "make America great again"?

Own the fact that your kids are failing at school. Hell, own up to your kids.

Own up to the fact that you live beyond your means because of your own irresponsible behavior. It's not up to an employer to pay you what you need to earn in order to live at the level that you want to live.

Own up to the fact that your lack of education and preparation are the reasons why you can't gat anything better than a job for which education and preparation are not requirements.

Own up to the fact that the guy you supported for POTUS is insane and he's going to lose the election because he is, not because others oppose him.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

I hope he fights back and comes back.  He is a rising star.  This is just one set back.  DO YOU HEAR ME HUELSKAMP?  Stay the course and run again.  This man could make it to the White House one day.  He is very solid.

You're not a "rising star" if you lose.  Why do these cry-babies always blame somebody else when they lose?  He lost because of HIM.

No farm state legislator votes against a farm bill and lives. And that's what Huelskamp did.   He never mentions that fact.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

No he's right.  When he stood up them, they snatched the AG committee spot from him.  That was used against him by his opponent, (that he lost the spot), but the truth wasn't told as to WHY. 

Many KS folks are attributing that to his loss. Even saying that's why they didn't vote for him.

Well maybe he shouldn't stab fellow Republicans in the back.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

No one takes responsibility for anything any more. We live in a world made up of entitled victims of a greater dark force.

Want to "make America great again"?

Own the fact that your kids are failing at school. Hell, own up to your kids.

Own up to the fact that you live beyond your means because of your own irresponsible behavior. It's not up to an employer to pay you what you need to earn in order to live at the level that you want to live.

Own up to the fact that your lack of education and preparation are the reasons why you can't gat anything better than a job for which education and preparation are not requirements.

Own up to the fact that the guy you supported for POTUS is insane and he's going to lose the election because he is, not because others oppose him.

:amen:

Offline Drewsmum

Well maybe he shouldn't stab fellow Republicans in the back.

Who did he stab in the back?  Boehner?  And you have a problem with that?

Offline kevindavis007

I thought that Boehner did a decent job considering the Circumstances. Just because he doesn't bow down to the suicide caucus doesn't mean he was bad.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The people who voted for him the first time didn't vote for him this time.

Maybe, instead of laying blame out on all the usual suspects, he needs to spend time to figure out why that happened.

Did the people who sent him to fight the dreaded GOPe last cycle, embrace the GOPe this time?

Why did that happen?

That doesn't make much sense, does it? 

The guy blames the fact that he had opponents who worked hard to defeat him. Has he forgotten that he once was an opponent who fought hard to defeat an incumbent?

At the end of the day, the people of Kansas decided it was time to send someone else up to Congress.

It's voter-imposed term limits.

It's politics.

Grow a set of stones and quit whining.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:04:45 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Drewsmum

The people who voted for him the first time didn't vote for him this time.

Maybe, instead of laying blame out on all the usual suspects, he needs to spend time to figure out why that happened.

Did the people who sent him to fight the dreaded GOPe last cycle, embrace the GOPe this time?

Why did that happen?

That doesn't make much sense, does it? 

The guy blames the fact that he had opponents who worked hard to defeat him. Has he forgotten that he once was an opponent who fought hard to defeat an incumbent?

At the end of the day, the people of Kansas decided it was time to send someone else up to Congress.

It's voter-imposed term limits.

It's politics.

Grow a set of stones and quit whining.

Just remember,  some of the same people who used to support Cruz in all endeavors,  especially fighting Washington,   bailed on him during the primaries because they believed the narrative put out to destroy him. 

Money and media are powerful tools.... especially against an ignorant populace.

Offline sinkspur

He stabbed his constituents in the back when he voted against the 2013 Farm Bill.  He lost his Ag Seat as a result.

Why put people on the Ag Committee who aren't going to support a Republican-sponsored Farm Bill?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I thought that Boehner did a decent job considering the Circumstances. Just because he doesn't bow down to the suicide caucus doesn't mean he was bad.

Suicide Caucus???  You mean the few who are actually provide  Constitutional government?

Count me as a member as well!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
He stabbed his constituents in the back when he voted against the 2013 Farm Bill.  He lost his Ag Seat as a result.

Why put people on the Ag Committee who aren't going to support a Republican-sponsored Farm Bill?

NO he didn't! He did the right thing and, as usual when someone does that in Washington, paid the price!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
No.  It was purchased media lies.  The establishment struck back against the Tea Party.  The were probably also partially behind those IRS audits to suppress the Tea Party.  May they reap what they have sown.  A bigger cheater fish will come and gobble them up.  Not by my hands.  I don't favor cheating by purchasing misinformation.  It is wrong before God and anyway it is anti-republic.  Vengeance is not my job.   But they are not alone in the cheater world.  Lots of other people will be willing to play that game back on them.

I'm going to put your liberal mouth back on ignore.

Interesting how differently you feel when it was Bush losing.

Find where I've whined about the evil dark forces destroying Jeb's candidacy.

Show me.

Jeb lost. In my opinion he was the most qualified candidate, but he lost and Trump won.

I supported no convention coup movements, I don't support Hillary and I don't make excuses for Jeb's loss.

This guy lost because the people who voted for him the first time didn't vote for him this time.

sink just posted a damned good reason why.

Offline Drewsmum

I thought that Boehner did a decent job considering the Circumstances.

And that's where you and I differ.

So you aren't of the Tea Party variety, are you?

Offline sinkspur

NO he didn't! He did the right thing and, as usual when someone does that in Washington, paid the price!

Yes he did.  From his constituents. 

The ironclad rule of politics is:  Don't piss off the people who vote for you.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yes he did.  From his constituents. 

The ironclad rule of politics is:  Don't piss off the people who vote for you.

They are pissed off only because the media and members of the Inside the beltway cartel told them to be!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Drewsmum

You talking about that extremely bloated farm bill that Boehner tried (and did )ram through without giving anyone a chance to read it or even present it to the public?

THAT one?

And just because a Republican does it,  doesn't mean all republicans must jump on board.  Sheesh. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You talking about that extremely bloated farm bill that Boehner tried (and did )ram through without giving anyone a chance to read it or even present it to the public?

THAT one?

And just because a Republican does it,  doesn't mean all republicans must jump on board.  Sheesh.

And especially when the "republican" doing it is actually a stealth democrat!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Drewsmum

And especially when the "republican" doing it is actually a stealth democrat!

I know!  And the same people who defend that crap are the ones who whine about high taxes and big govt!   I'm like HUH?  That does not compute.