Author Topic: Scientists figured out how to regenerate teeth and eliminate root canals  (Read 815 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/06/scientists-figured-out-how-to-regenerate-teeth-and-eliminate-root-canals.html

by Chris Smith

Root canals are always fun, right? In reality, word that you need a root canal is some of the worst news most people get at the dentist. Whenever your dentist tells you that's the next procedure you're going have to go through, two things are clear beyond the pain you're about to endure: One, that your throbbing will finally soon go away, and the second is that the tooth that's getting the root canal is dead.

However, researchers have come up with a new kind of biomaterial that not only encourages the natural regeneration of teeth, but also might eliminate root canal procedures for good.

So how do we get root canals in the first place?

It all starts with a cavity that needs to be filled with either porcelain, a tooth-colored filling material, gold or other metal alloys. But as soon as that filling fails, the pain returns. That usually means the nerve and vascularization of the tooth are infected and need to be removed. Their place is taken by a special compound that is then cemented into the tooth. All that is done via a root canal procedure. The tooth is saved, but it's no longer served by nerve or blood vessels. And over time, the tooth might be lost because of that.

Researchers from the University of Harvard and Nottingham have come up with a biomaterial for fillings that is regenerative, according to Popular Science. The material stimulates the growth of stem cells in the pulp, which could prevent further tooth decay. Because fillings wouldn't fail as often, root canal procedures could be virtually unnecessary.

The team took home the second prize in the materials category during the Royal Society of Chemistry's Emerging Technologies competition. That said, we likely still have quite a long wait until this new synthetic biomaterial becomes widely available.

Offline montanajoe

That said, we likely still have quite a long wait until this new synthetic biomaterial becomes widely available.

My last root canal was 1500 bucks, can't imagine many dentists in any hurry to lose that revenue stream....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
That said, we likely still have quite a long wait until this new synthetic biomaterial becomes widely available.

My last root canal was 1500 bucks, can't imagine many dentists in any hurry to lose that revenue stream....

Interesting thread on Reddit, a lady added up all the dentistry for a single tooth (amount many) in her lifetime and the total came to over $40,000.

Cheaper to get it pulled.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I have never had a root canal.  I'm sure my turn is coming one day, but so far so good.

Me neither, my wife has had a few. Her mouth was horribly screwed up by a previous childhood dentist and she actually needed part of her jaw removed.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have never had a root canal.  I'm sure my turn is coming one day, but so far so good.

Yeah, I was able to say that until a few months ago. 

It wasn't really that bad - the inflamed tooth was what was really painful.

Oceander

I've gone way beyond root canals!!  Got two implants on the upper right side and am waiting for the bone graft to heal to get one on the upper left side.  Damned genetics.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:48:27 pm by Oceander »

Offline Suppressed

Me neither, my wife has had a few. Her mouth was horribly screwed up by a previous childhood dentist and she actually needed part of her jaw removed.

I drive 2.5+ hours to a dentist who repaired bad work done by a previous one.  I haven't gotten up the guts to gamble on a new one closer.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn