Author Topic: Windows 10 Grows Market Share, Accounts for 19.14% of Desktop OS Space; Windows 7 Still has Nearly Half of the OS Market Share.  (Read 595 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WIN BUZZER

URL: http://www.winbuzzer.com/2016/07/01/windows-10-grows-market-share-accounts-19-14-desktop-os-space-xcxwbn/

by: Luke Jones

Windows 10 is hugely popular, with the latest figures from market analyst NetMarketShare that the platform grew again through the month of June. The company shows that Windows 10 now accounts for 19.14% of the whole desktop operating system market, which places it in second place behind Windows 7.

Microsoft has been widely criticized for its Windows 10 upgrade strategy, but it has certainly paid off with the platform now on over 350 million active devices.

The company has been lambasted and even sued over Windows 10 updates, before announcing this week a change to the policy to stop the OS forcing itself onto machines.

What is clear is that Windows 10 is a platform user’s like, regardless of how they get it. During May the platform had a 17.43% market share, which means in a single month it grew it position by 1.71%, impressive considering Win 10 is only a year old.

Windows builds usually have slower penetration rates because many enterprise customers are reluctant to seat an entire fleet of machines with a new OS.

As mentioned, Windows 7 is still the dominant PC operating system, with a massive 49.05% of the market. It remains the main OS for enterprises, but Windows 10 is growing at a rate that suggests it will overhaul Windows 7 quicker than is traditionally the case for one Windows build to outperform an older version.

Interestingly, Windows XP still accounts for 9.78%, which is almost as much as all of Microsoft’s competitors combined. Apple’s Mac OS, Linux, and the “other category” offer a combined market share of 11.58%, with Mac leading that band with a 4.93% share.

Highlighting just how much of a miss the Windows 8 era of the platform was, Microsoft’s Windows 8.1 build only accounts for 8.01% of the market.

Offline SirLinksALot

Here's an even LATER NEWS:

EXCERPT:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-sets-new-personal-best-windows-7-drops-to-all-time-low-in-june-505876.shtml

StatCounter data for the month of June shows that Windows 10 continues to be the second most-used desktop operating system in the world, but its growth accelerated last month.

Windows 7 keeps leading the charts, but the only problem is that it’s quickly losing ground, especially because more users are moving to Windows 10 these days. Windows 7 now has a market share of 42 percent while Windows 10, the runner-up, has 21.9 percent.

This means that Windows 10 now has more than half the market share of Windows 7, despite the fact that the operating system launched in 2009 was running on more than 60 percent of PCs in the world back in July 2015, when Windows 10 was officially released.

Mac OS X (now called macOS) is third with 9.92 percent while Windows 8.1 is also losing ground because of the free Windows 10 upgrade promo and is now at 8.68 percent. Windows XP continues to decline at an incredibly slow pace and is running on 6.5 percent of the PCs around the globe whereas Windows 8 is far behind with 3.52 percent.

All these figures show that the world is moving to new operating systems much faster than before, and the closer we get to July 29, when Microsoft ends the free upgrade offer, the more users decide to at least give Windows 10 a try. All users missing the offer and sticking with any other Windows version by July 29 will have to pay the full price for a Windows 10 license, which in the United States is $119.99 for the Home edition.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I have my windows 10 touchscreen laptop, set up to look as much like my windows 7 laptop.

I use the touchscreen part of the time, but sometimes need the mouse to navigate better.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Still running XP on seven machines. Can't afford to buy new ones, and the old ones run just fine.  Touch screens suck for my applications, which can include grubby fingers. I prefer mouse and keyboard. (so much better than paper tape, punchcards, and those huge floppies). Some day I will have to upgrade to something else, but these run for now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis