Author Topic: Next Stop: 4th of July  (Read 880 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Next Stop: 4th of July
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:37 pm »
Definitely not to early to start getting ready for a 4th of July bash!

This year is the last year we can legally shoot off fireworks here in America's Vancouver, so we are going to do it up right.  We can begin at high noon, and I plan on firing the ceremonial gun, playing Stars and Stripes Forever, Anchors Aweigh, and the Star Spangled Banner, just to kick things off.

We're expecting about 30 people starting around 5:00 and ending after dark when we finally run out of ammo. 

I'm cooking a whole pig on the smoker this year; what could be more patriotic than hot smoked pork??  Sure to keep the muzzies at bay.  I picked up a medium piggie today, vacuum bagged and frozen solid at about -10F.  He's cuddled into a styrofoam cooler packed with ice and will take several days just to warm up to freezing.  I am beating the rush to get pigs because they always run out here early.  Mine is 36 pounds @ $3.22/lb.  Not too spendy.  Their big hawgs are cheaper but they go a minimum of 100 pounds.

I intend to Spatchcock the little oinker, remove most of the bones while leaving his skin intact.  I'll trim out the ribs for another BBQ this summer.  The bones go in the freezer for making stock and gravy.  My 9 year old nephew is helping me with the pig, and I'll let him have the smoke-dessicated tail.  I'll stick a beer can in its mouth to hold it open, and put an apple in it later for presentation.

I figure to trim 12-15 pounds of bone out which cuts down the cooking time dramatically, and exposes more of the meat to the hot smoke which is what does the cooking.  Cooking time is about 15 minutes per pound, but I am looking for an internal temp in the thickest meat of 180 degrees for pulled pork.  I plan on slicing the loins & tenderloins, save both slabs of bacon, and shred the shoulders and hams for sammiches.  A couple of tubs of slaw and some big soft buns, and we'll be in bidnez...

I'm getting our patio cleaned up this week and ready for company.  Our nephew gets married on Saturday July 2nd, so it will be a busy holiday weekend for sure...

:beer:

geronl

Re: Next Stop: 4th of July
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:12 pm »
My 9 year old nephew is helping me with the pig

Our nephew gets married on Saturday July 2nd, so it will be a busy holiday weekend for sure.

Please tell us this is not the same nephew.  :tongue2:

Sounds like a great holiday for you and yours!

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:59 pm »
Enjoy!

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SquirrelCutter

• Hey Moe, I'm tryin' to think but nothin' happens!
    • My homepage over on FR, if things continue as current I may find a new host.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:14 pm »
Well hell, that makes my two little pork butts and poor skinny chicken look like a snack.

Y'all sound like my kind of people! I got a big old Hellyeah for Vancouver pig cooking. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

"Do right, and risk the consequences" -- Old Sam Houston

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

I tend to say what I think, sometimes before I think.

And, as always, my opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:12 am »
Please tell us this is not the same nephew.  :tongue2:

Sounds like a great holiday for you and yours!

The 9 year old is actually my Great Nephew, and my youngest (36!) Nephew is the lucky fellow getting married the Saturday before.  We have a bunch of 'em out here, along with Nieces and Great-Nieces as well....gets hard keeping track of 'em all after a bit, and they do just seem to keep on coming.  No doubt we'll be 1 or 2 more by this time next year.  Funny how that happens....I hear they found our what causes it.....

Making some proper Hawg Sauce tomorrow.  The Mrs. is picking me up a fifth of Jack Daniels and I have a couple of dried Anchos soaking in some V-8 to rehydrate them.  I gotta hit the store for some onions and other goodies, we have an early 4th party to attend this Saturday and I'm making a hot side of Chorizo con Papas (Sausage and Potatoes) to take along.  In the past I've cooked big for this party, but only if we were not having a big do at our place, which we are this year.

I've had a charcoal smoker now for several years.  I never could see cooking with pellets, and I have a reliable local source that sells 50 pound bags of real Mesquite charcoal for $16 a pop.  I cook outdoors with nothing else.  I've got a bunch of good chunks of unburnt Mesquite that I piece up and use for extra smoke.  When we host Thanksgiving dinner, I usually smoke 4 turkey breasts and forego the oven roasted bird.  Everyone goes home with leftovers and Mrs. King is lucky to have enough left for a sammich...

I also do corn on the cob, on the grill.  I soak the un-shucked ears in cold water then wrap each one in aluminum foil.  A few minutes over hot charcoal and they cook completely.  Once that cob gets hot, it stays hot for a while. 

I also make grill breads.  I use a yeast dough with olive oil, essentially a flavored, doubled pizza dough recipe.  I usually spice up the dough with a tablespoon of my favorite spice mix... I use a Tex/Mex blend they sell at the store. Roll out small balls of dough, let 'em rise on parchment, then at the grill, I roll each one out flat and toss it right on the cast iron burners over hot coals.  They need about 1 minute per side to brown up nicely, then pull 'em, slice in half and serve hot.  These are an instant hit and are great for slopping up BBQ sauce and melted butter from your corn....

More to come....