Author Topic: Retired Army Vietnam Vet to Receive the Medal of Honor  (Read 964 times)

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Retired Army Vietnam Vet to Receive the Medal of Honor
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
President Obama will award retired Army Lt. Col. Charles Kettles the nation’s highest award for heroism for saving 44 American soldiers during a May 15, 1967 enemy ambush in the Vietnam War.

On Monday, July 18, 2016, Kettles is scheduled to receive the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry for his actions while serving as a flight commander assigned to 176th Aviation Company (Airmobile) (Light), 14th Combat Aviation Battalion, Americal Division.

"Then-Major Kettles distinguished himself in combat operations near Duc Pho, Republic of Vietnam, on May 15, 1967," according to a June 21 White House press release. "He led a platoon of UH-1Ds to provide support to the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, during an ambush by a battalion-sized enemy force."

After leading several trips to the hot landing zone and evacuating the wounded, he returned, without additional aerial support, to rescue a squad-sized element of stranded soldiers pinned down by enemy fire. Kettles is credited with saving the lives of 40 soldiers and four of his own crew members, according to the press release.

Kettles was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan on Jan. 9, 1930. He was drafted into the Army at age 21 while enrolled in Michigan State Normal College (now Eastern Michigan University) where he studied engineering.

[excerpted]

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/21/retired-army-vietnam-vet-to-receive-the-medal-of-honor.html?ESRC=airforce-a_160622.nl

https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/kettles/?from=osmd_kettles
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Retired Army Vietnam Vet to Receive the Medal of Honor
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »
I cannot help but suspect that his real qualifications are political.  Just saying that because of Obama.  I don't know. 

I doubt you will follow my advice, to delete your disrespect for this man, who risked his like.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:02:03 pm »
Well congratulations I guess.  Better late than never?  I cannot help but suspect that his real qualifications are political.  Just saying that because of Obama.  I don't know.  So congrats to the guy and also a "thank you for your service."
Go to the army.mil link and read about what he did, there are tabs in the upper RH margin...I hope it causes you to rethink the "political" angle of your comment.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:27:30 am »
Well congratulations I guess.  Better late than never?  I cannot help but suspect that his real qualifications are political.  Just saying that because of Obama.  I don't know.  So congrats to the guy and also a "thank you for your service."
From reading his bio and the account of the action for which he will receive the medal, he earned it. God Bless Him and many like him. It is a shame it took so long for the award.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Thanks for the info guys.  It does sound like he earned it.  I thought that from the start.  I questioned the reports just because I trust nothing Obama does.  Happy to be wrong.
@RAT Patrol

It's tough not to be jaded after almost 8 years of the clown prince in the white hut...I like to think that having to present these makes him look like the complete and utter piece of excrement that he is...he's accomplished absolutely nothing of value in his life and here he's facing MEN who were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for their BROTHERS in arms...it shows just how small he is.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
If one wanted to put what's wrong with our country into a nutshell it would be that everyone knows all about the Kardashians but damned few know anything at all about men like Lt. Col. Charles Kettles!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:35:06 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:20 pm »
If one wanted to put what's wrong with our country into a nutshell it would be that everyone knows all about the Kardashians but damned few know anything at all about men like Lt. Col. Charles Kettles!
What's a Kardashian?  Some kind of nut?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
What's a Kardashian?  Some kind of nut?

Exactly! A whole family of them in fact!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien