Author Topic: McConnell: Talk radio responsible for misleading GOP base  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
McConnell: Talk radio responsible for misleading GOP base
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:02 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mcconnell-talk-radio-responsible-for-misleading-gop-base/article/2593259

Talk radio is the reason Republican base voters have unrealistic expectations, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Tuesday, adding that it may have contributed to Donald Trump's win in the party's presidential primary.

"A lot of base voters have been really misled by a lot of talk show hosts and others about what's achievable when you don't have the White House," McConnell said at an event sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute, responding to a question about why voters seem to be fed up and have largely favored outsider candidates over the course of this year's presidential election.

He said that while the Constitution is discussed regularly, "people don't seem to know anything about it."

"There is a president, the only one … who can sign something into law or veto a bill. The notion of shutting down government to defund Obamacare, even if that would achieve the result … is what my friend George Will would call the politics of futile gesture, or put another way, doing dumb things.

"I'm not in favor of futile gestures and doing dumb things," McConnell added. "I think the reason people are unhappy is because of the condition of the country. And because they've been fed the notion that somehow a Republican Congress can overcome a Democratic president and somehow bring him to his knees when it's not possible.

McConnell then listed measures that have been brought to Obama's desk.

"One thing we have done is we got control of the Senate, and we put the repeal of Obamacare on his desk, we put the Waters of the United States on his desk, we put the Keystone Pipeline on his desk, but all of those who enjoy being a circular firing squad will not pay attention to the fact that we've gone as far as we can go without having somebody who can sign the measure that you put on his desk," he said.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Timber Rattler

Re: McConnell: Talk radio responsible for misleading GOP base
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:02:44 pm »
I guess McConnell has never heard of the separation of powers and checks and balances provisions in the U.S. Constitution, or the idea of the power of the purse.

Oh yeah, I forgot...he's the world's worst poker player.

"McConnell's vow: No more government shutdowns"

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/250223-mcconnells-vow-no-more-government-shutdowns
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:04:54 pm »
No Mitch. YOU are. And we know it.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:05:12 pm »
I guess McConnell has never heard of the separation of powers and checks and balances provisions in the U.S. Constitution, or the idea of the power of the purse.

Oh yeah, I forgot...he's the world's worst poker player.

"McConnell's vow: No more government shutdowns"

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/250223-mcconnells-vow-no-more-government-shutdowns

He's largely right. A GOP COngress' power is limited to be obstructionist for the most part.

Shutdowns (ie power of the purse) are the exception, but I've never seen one work in the GOP's favor. Ever.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mcconnell-talk-radio-responsible-for-misleading-gop-base/article/2593259

The notion of shutting down government to defund Obamacare, even if that would achieve the result … is what my friend George Will would call the politics of futile gesture, or put another way, doing dumb things.

This is why you don't elect lesser evil folks. It's too stupid to breath on it's own.

Offline Yogafist

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:22:49 pm »
Excuses, excuses, excuses.  To be sure, Obama is a particularly difficult president to deal with because he derives pleasure from hurting the American people.  But for seven years we have listened to these losers surrender before every fight began.  They have increased spending above and beyond what Obama has asked for, and completely failed to present any opposition.  The reason Obama is so confident overstepping his authority is because Republicans in Congress have refused to fight him.  Now this idiot, Mitch, thinks Republican animosity toward party insiders is because we are all too stupid to think for ourselves.  Funny, most of my friends don't listen to talk radio and they are all just as disgusted as I am. 

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »

(excerpt)
"There is a president, the only one … who can sign something into law or veto a bill. The notion of shutting down government to defund Obamacare, even if that would achieve the result … is what my friend George Will would call the politics of futile gesture, or put another way, doing dumb things.

"I'm not in favor of futile gestures and doing dumb things," McConnell added. "I think the reason people are unhappy is because of the condition of the country. And because they've been fed the notion that somehow a Republican Congress can overcome a Democratic president and somehow bring him to his knees when it's not possible.

The Republican Party was able to take control of both the Senate and the House in 1994, for the first time since the 1950s, and maintained that control throughout the length of Bill Clinton's presidency. They managed to get quite a lot of their agenda passed into law, as well as thwart quite a lot of Pres. Clinton's agenda.

Perhaps Sen. McConnell should have called up Bob Dole and asked for pointers on how to effectively wield the power of the Congress.  Note: for those that can't tell, that was typed in a sarcastic tone of voice.

Edited to add the note.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:48:13 pm by Bear_in_RoseBear »
Let it burn.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:28:45 am »
This is the same thing Speaker Boehner said shortly before he retired.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:01 am »
Well, a blind squirrel can still find a nut every once and a while.

And he found a good chestnut in this.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:58:29 am »
He's largely right. A GOP COngress' power is limited to be obstructionist for the most part.

Shutdowns (ie power of the purse) are the exception, but I've never seen one work in the GOP's favor. Ever.
The GOP retook the Senate after the shutdown in a landslide.

McConnell needs to learn the art of negotiation: get ahold of something the other guy wants, then beat him over the head with it until he caves on what you want. Let's see the President veto a duly passed budget bill during a shutdown.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:01:02 am »
Can I vote for the circular thing he mentioned? 

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:18:16 am »
"One thing we have done is we got control of the Senate, and we put the repeal of Obamacare on his desk, we put the Waters of the United States on his desk, we put the Keystone Pipeline on his desk, but all of those who enjoy being a circular firing squad will not pay attention to the fact that we've gone as far as we can go without having somebody who can sign the measure that you put on his desk," he said.

Circular Firing Squad .... If the boot fits ...

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 05:23:30 am »

Except the 'obstructionist' is McConell himself.  You cannot have a two party system if the leader of one party continuously sides with the other.  Boehner for a long time was the 'obstructionist' in the House who more times than not pandered to the left.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 05:23:47 am »
Excuses, excuses, excuses.  To be sure, Obama is a particularly difficult president to deal with because he derives pleasure from hurting the American people.  But for seven years we have listened to these losers surrender before every fight began.  They have increased spending above and beyond what Obama has asked for, and completely failed to present any opposition.  The reason Obama is so confident overstepping his authority is because Republicans in Congress have refused to fight him.  Now this idiot, Mitch, thinks Republican animosity toward party insiders is because we are all too stupid to think for ourselves.  Funny, most of my friends don't listen to talk radio and they are all just as disgusted as I am.

I miss your Avatar pic. I used to be a Frazier Smith junkie when I was in SoCal for a bit long ago. BEST DJ EVER.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 05:28:26 am »
Except the 'obstructionist' is McConell himself.  You cannot have a two party system if the leader of one party continuously sides with the other.  Boehner for a long time was the 'obstructionist' in the House who more times than not pandered to the left.

The GOP can put all the bills on his desk they want. While they are talking about their accomplishments, they might want to talk about half the party leading up to those events ran around the media sabotaging their own positions and their own people that were NOT sabotaging it.

Japan may have invented Kabuki Theater but the GOP mastered it in America. Look how many votes were lost by the 'majority' party. Look how many vetos they never fought and simply gave into or never voted on at all once the Dems threatened Veto alone.

Circular firing squad my lilly white foot. America willingly empowered a liberal GOP and has itself and no one else to blame for their idiocy.

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:26:29 am »

The current congress is the least productive in history because of their opposition to the President.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:12:30 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline Yogafist

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:04 pm »
I miss your Avatar pic. I used to be a Frazier Smith junkie when I was in SoCal for a bit long ago. BEST DJ EVER.
Thanks.  They had a long list of great DJ's, and excellent programing, even down to Dr. Demento. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:01 pm »
Since McConnell so reveres the Constitution he undoubtedly is beside himself over Obama's profligate & clear abuses of the executive action device and can tell us specifically what he has done to defend the congress's prerogatives against them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:38:46 pm by skeeter »

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 02:05:39 pm »
Ridiculously ignorant post and pure talk radio pablum. The current congress is the least productive in history because of their opposition to the President.

So you think the winning strategy is for the current Congress to actually support Obama?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 02:07:10 pm »
Talk radio shouldn't be who the people turn to for political leadership.  It is supposed to be our politicians -- that is why we elect them, right?  So the two real problems are this:

1) Even assuming that McConnell is right about us "not understanding" how things work, the fault is that of both he and Boehner, and the members who elect them.  The positions of Speaker and Majority leader have become about who is best at working tricking legislative details, and working intra-chamber politics.  The idea that those positions should be about communicating effectively with the American people seems to be an afterthought at best.  Neither McConnell nor Boehner is/were good at framing issues for voters, nor did they even seem to think that was important.  Apparently, we were supposed to just "trust them" without them ever providing clear communication back to us.  Ryan, at least, seems to understand that function of the Speaker better than any other those yahoos, and is at least attempting to become sort of a party spokesman on substantive issues.  McConnell still doesn't seem to care, and is a crappy, mush-mouthed public speaker even when he does attempt such communication.

2) The biggest problem, though, is the excessive delegation of authority by Congress to the executive branch.   They pass major legislation that routinely gives "the Secretary" wide latitude in interpreting and implementing the law in question, which essentially amounts to a delegation of the law-making function to the executive branch.  And once that power is delegated, it cannot be overrriden absent passage of an entirely new law.  So, the balance of powers that we all learned about in school is much more of an illusion than it is reality.  That's not really the fault of the current Congress -- Congresses have been delegating that authority for decades.  But I don't really hear much about a movement to scale that back, nor (see point 1) does our political leadership emphasize that structural problem when communicating to the American people.

Personally, I would love to see a Presidential candidate push for a law stating that no substantive regulation that normally would go straight into the Federal Register/Code of Federal Regulation is effective unless and until it is ratified by both Houses of Congress, and that this law applies to all current laws in effect as well as to new legislation.  Restore much of the lost Congressional authority in one fell swoop.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:13:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:07 pm »
So you think the winning strategy is for the current Congress to actually support Obama?

:silly:

Right, because that's what I said.  :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 02:24:09 pm »
The current congress is the least productive in history because of their opposition to the President.

Quit quoting facts to the Uniparty conspiracist crowd.  I've been doing that for more than a year, and it never, ever takes.

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 02:29:45 pm »
Quit quoting facts to the Uniparty conspiracist crowd.  I've been doing that for more than a year, and it never, ever takes.

To me it's just perfect talk radio pablum: get the base riled up, raise their blood pressure, convince them that "our side" is laying down for Obama. It simply isn't happening.

But hey it gets ratings right? That's what these AM radio stooges are after.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »
To me it's just perfect talk radio pablum: get the base riled up, raise their blood pressure, convince them that "our side" is laying down for Obama. It simply isn't happening.

But hey it gets ratings right? That's what these AM radio stooges are after.

To your point, I think most of them are intelligent and informed enough to know that the core problem is the delegation of legislative power to the Executive Branch.  Yet, how often do they actually try beating that drum?  That is what absolutely must change, and yet, they don't discuss it.  Probably because it just isn't sexy enough for listeners.

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 02:40:14 pm »
The GOP retook the Senate after the shutdown in a landslide.

Technically you're right, but I don't think there is any proof that one followed the other: shutdown was in September 2013, takeover was well over a year later in 2014. The public was angry about Obamacare and Obama in general. The 2014 midterms had one of the lowest voter turnouts in history. This is a big reason the GOP won it.