Author Topic: Trump will quit the race if he thinks he'll lose by a wide margin..  (Read 1405 times)

Wingnut

http://www.sentinel-standard.com/blogs/20160601/hunch-trump-will-quit-race-if-he-thinks-hell-lose-by-wide-margin?template=printart

By Pat Cunningham

June 01. 2016 2:23PM

As I've acknowledged on several previous occasions, my predictions over the past year regarding Donald Trump's presidential candidacy have all been wrong.

I said he wouldn't actually make good on his talk about getting into the race. I said he wouldn't file the required financial data. I said he wouldn't have a chance of winning the Republican nomination. I said…well, you get my point. I have been wrong all along.

Oh, sure, I still stand by my prediction that The Donald will not win the presidency. But I'm also prepared to pass along a hunch that's occurred to me concerning the coming  course of events before any of the actual  votes are counted.  No, it's not a flat-out prediction. Rather, it's just my conditional sense of things.

While watching Trump's pathetic news conference on the subject of his fundraising for veterans'  organizations,  I suddenly became aware of how thin-skinned he seems to be at criticism from his favored constituencies. He doesn't seem to care about the barbs he gets from the media, liberals in general or even the Republican establishment. But he seemed genuinely upset yesterday  at suspicions about his claims concerning  his contributions to veterans.

We already know that Trump is  a world-class narcissist. We also know that he follows the polls very closely. On countless occasions in the past year, he has  bragged about  polls showing his political strength. But what would happen if the polls showed serious erosion in support for his candidacy? What would happen if the tide suddenly turned against him in a big way? What would happen if it became apparent that he was going to lose in a landslide in November?

Such a turn of events is not as unlikely as some people seem to think. It's not a cinch, but neither is it out of the question. And Trump's response is probably more predictable than almost anything else about him.

My hunch is that his narcissism would explode, blowing all the fuses in his mind. His only available out — short of bravely suffering the unflattering judgment of the electorate — would be to quit the race before the voting begins. He could claim that a health problem has arisen. Whatever.

But the last thing I expect is for Donald J. Trump to suffer defeat with the grace that the  vast majority  of   other presidential losers in American history have.

Such grace simply is not part of the man's character.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump will quit the race if he thinks he'll lose by a wide margin..
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »
Yep.  I've always thought that Trump, if he's down by 10 in early October, will just quit.

The worst kind of person in the world to Trump is a loser, and the thought that 330 million people would see him as a loser is abhorrent to him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
The flip side is he is so cock-sure of the BS his "people are feeding him that he truly believe he can not lose.  Trumps mind is like a soup dish, wide and shallow. It can hold a small amount of nearly anything, but at the slightest bump.... it spills everything all over. THen he finds himself lost in thought - which for Trump is very unfamiliar territory.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:00:30 pm »
But what would happen if the polls showed serious erosion in support for his candidacy? What would happen if the tide suddenly turned against him in a big way? What would happen if it became apparent that he was going to lose in a landslide in November?

I don't have that much faith in the American people.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:26 pm »
The flip side is he is so cock-sure of the BS his "people are feeding him that he truly believe he can not lose.
That's what I'm thinking.

He could be down 20 and think that everyone else is a liar.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:23 pm »
It might be the plan anyway, when it is too late to replace him on the ballots

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »

The author admits being wrong several times concerning Trump, so that makes him a highly considered source for #nevertrumps.

Maybe French will pull this one out, for the Sea Island Election Committee. Romney, Bushx3, Rove, Kristol, Graham, et all.

Join the "Wish for the Week Society."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:35:45 pm »
Trump can't quit, by his own definition. It is a kind of circular logic puzzle.

Losers are losers, ergo, he cannot lose. Quitters are losers, ergo, he cannot quit.

The only thing he can possibly do to save any dignity, according to his own world, is to stay in it and fight (in the courts if he has to) until some external arbitration decides the outcome.

"Selected no Elected" is his only way out, other than winning, and this requires staying in until the very, very, final, end.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:01:45 am »
Trump can't quit, by his own definition.

he will claim that he got bored and wants to do something else