Author Topic: BREAKING UPDATE: Nebraska Republicans PASS RESOLUTION to Reprimand #NeverTrump Senator Ben Sasse  (Read 8910 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
If the first line is fact, then the conservatives MUST leave.

That first line has been fact for a long enough time, and was isolated in a splendid book
published in 2007:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I will.  You are aiding and abetting the enemy.
The problem is, now both your side and the Hillary supporters are the enemy.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bilo

The problem is, now both your side and the Hillary supporters are the enemy.

You're right and the issue is how to respond. We stay in the Pub party and get thrown table scraps, or leave and try to become a key swing vote. I don't believe we can transform the Pub party. I used to think we could transform the party, but seeing how they responded to a real conservative I think it's obvious they won't change.

If conservatives left the Pub party would we be able to get any existing members of Congress to do the same? 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bolobaby

Dissent vill not be tolerated!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline RetBobbyMI

You're right and the issue is how to respond. We stay in the Pub party and get thrown table scraps, or leave and try to become a key swing vote. I don't believe we can transform the Pub party. I used to think we could transform the party, but seeing how they responded to a real conservative I think it's obvious they won't change.

If conservatives left the Pub party would we be able to get any existing members of Congress to do the same?
I don't think the GOP can be transformed in the right direction.  They are being pulled so far left to compete against Dems that has moved even further left.  Since they have no competition to the right, they are free to do so.  If current incumbent Reps and Senators felt there was something worth joining and they had a chance of success, maybe they WOULD jump.  Right now the only party to the full right spectrum is the Constitution party.  Some may argue the Libertarians are there too, but they are a combination of right on the constitution, and on the left socially.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I will.  You are aiding and abetting the enemy.

You really need to leave the Free Republic speak there with the fascist mob.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

I'm some circles, the idea that the best possible outcome for the GOP at this time is a Hillary victory in the GE.

A disastrous Trump Presidency will forever be used as an example of "conservatism" in charge by the Democrats and will adversely affect down ballot races.

With Clnton in the WH, the GOP can rally around a common enemy and work to take her out in four years.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline GAJohnnie

They did not just pass it. They passed it 400 to 8.

Let this serve notice on the Petulance Party. Your crybaby behavior is not selling to the voters. You have painted yourselves into a lose lose situation here.

Offline GAJohnnie

With Clnton in the WH, the GOP can rally around a common enemy and work to take her out in four years.

You do realize your opinions are not facts right? This is how the Petulant Party has painted itself into a corner of fail. You all continually assume your emotion based opinions are facts. They aren't.

Offline GAJohnnie

Dissent vill not be tolerated!

Wrong. You don't get to use the party to get elected to office then cry hysterically and threat to sabotage it just because your candidate of choice did not win an election. This isn't "dissent" this is childish petulance and arrogant grandstanding. It is a clown act by petulance children too arrogantly stupid to realize they don't get to dictate their emotional whimsy to everyone else in the party. The voters of the party have overwhelming spoken. Don't like it? Resign your office, resign you party membership, run for office as an independent.

There is no principals involved here merely childish petulance.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
They did not just pass it. They passed it 400 to 8.

Let this serve notice on the Petulance Party. Your crybaby behavior is not selling to the voters. You have painted yourselves into a lose lose situation here.

Yawn, it's a big nothing burger.

Not a hill to die on.

</Free Republic speak>
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Wrong. You don't get to use the party to get elected to office then cry hysterically and threat to sabotage it just because your candidate of choice did not win an election. This isn't "dissent" this is childish petulance and arrogant grandstanding. It is a clown act by petulance children too arrogantly stupid to realize they don't get to dictate their emotional whimsy to everyone else in the party. The voters of the party have overwhelming spoken. Don't like it? Resign your office, resign you party membership, run for office as an independent.

lol nonsense, same tactic over and over.   Never a discussion by a Trump supporter.  its always an all out attack for any disagreement.

Trump doesn't have ANY principles.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

More Trump cry bully garbage. When he wasn't getting the yuge winning he promised, Trump whined and cried about his treatment and insinuated he'd go third party.

Now that he's the presumptive nominee, his supporter are doing the bully thug mob intimidation routine tell everyone to 'get in line'.

Trump said he doesn't need our vote. He's the Dealmaker. We took the deal.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm some circles, the idea that the best possible outcome for the GOP at this time is a Hillary victory in the GE.

A disastrous Trump Presidency will forever be used as an example of "conservatism" in charge by the Democrats and will adversely affect down ballot races.

Luis, I appreciate the sentiment, but when, in the last however many years, has the GOP responded to extreme provocation by rallying to do anything but give in?  I just don't think they have it in them. 

HAPPY2BME

Nebraska GOP Convention Humiliates Ben Sasse with Crushing 400 to 8 Reprimand

Delegates to the State Republican Convention in Nebraska dealt a near unanimous reprimand to Sen. Ben Sasse on Saturday for his outspoken support for the “Never Trump” effort designed to deny presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump the presidency in November.

Sen. Ben Sasse’s reprimand passed by a voice vote, which a reporter at the event said was at least 400 to 8.

“It was a lopsided vote. The ‘ayes’ in the room of more than 400 had an audible win. Only about six or eight yelled ‘nay,'” Robynn Tysver, staff writer for the Omaha World-Herald, tweeted from the event as it happened.

“[T]he Nebraska freshman found himself rebuked Saturday by party loyalists upset at his call for a third candidate to arise and give conservatives such as himself an alternative to Donald Trump in the fall election,” the hometown World-Herald reported of Sasse’s Saturday debacle.

Not only did “[d]elegates at the State Republican Convention overwhelmingly [pass the] resolution opposing Sasse’s call for a third candidate” in the voice vote, delegates doubled down in their support of Trump as the presumptive nominee.

“They roundly rejected a counterresolution that sought to condemn the presumptive GOP presidential nominee for making ‘degrading’ comments toward women and minorities,” the World-Herald reported.

It was a huge hometown comeuppance for the young Nebraska senator who easily won his first political race in 2014.

Though the former official in the George W. Bush Department of Health and Human Services has been popular in his home state until Saturday, the utter rejection of the “Never Trump” efforts he has championed is sure to hurt his credibility with GOP voters in Nebraska.

His strongly conservative voting record on all matters except trade, where Trump is strongest, kept people from even speculating about a primary challenge when he runs for re-election in 2020. But now — with his “Never Trump” effort becoming a hugely unpopular misstep back home — that clear path to renomination may be in question.

As the World-Herald reported, the seeds of doubt in Nebraska about Sasse have now been sown:

Despite being upset with Sasse over Trump, many delegates in the room said they continued to have deep respect for the Republican. In fact, a majority gave Sasse two standing ovations during his speech, although pockets of delegates pointedly refused to stand and almost everyone got a standing ovation at the convention on Saturday.

“I’m disappointed” with Sasse, said Jill Woodward of the Elkhorn area. “We all grow into our jobs, and I’m certainly not giving up on Sasse by any stretch of the imagination.”
    “He should realize he lines up more with Trump than Clinton,” said Jordan Janssen of Lincoln.

For his part, Sasse seemed unwilling to face the heat his “Never Trump” stance has generated back home.

“On Saturday, however, Sasse did not want to talk about Trump in the slightest,” the World-Herald reported.

Though Sasse’s speech at the convention received two standing ovations, the World-Herald reported that Sam Fischer, nephew of Sen. Deb Fischer, and a veteran in his own right of GOP politics in Nebraska said, “it indicated more the inherent politeness of Nebraskans and the respect they hold for officeholders than support for Sasse.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/15/nebraska-gop-convention-humiliates-ben-sasse/

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Luis, I appreciate the sentiment, but when, in the last however many years, has the GOP responded to extreme provocation by rallying to do anything but give in? I just don't think they have it in them.

The last time there was a Clinton in the White House.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
You do realize your opinions are not facts right? This is how the Petulant Party has painted itself into a corner of fail. You all continually assume your emotion based opinions are facts. They aren't.

Neither are yours.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The last time there was a Clinton in the White House.

Good point, but I think they've moved on since then.  I would like to be wrong.

Offline GAJohnnie

Find it remarkable that the same people in the GOPE  who demanded absolute party loyalty when their clown candidates Dole-McCain-Romney won now what to throw a childish temper tantrum because their hand picked Bushie lost.

You lost, Get over it. Don't double down on stupid.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Find it remarkable that the same people in the GOPE  who demanded absolute party loyalty when their clown candidates Dole-McCain-Romney won now what to throw a childish temper tantrum because their hand picked Bushie lost.

Yeah, Conservatives lost. We've been kicked out - exactly as the Establishment intended.

We're over it.

We're done with your party.

We'll write in our own or vote third party.

What are you gonna do about it?

Put a gun to our heads?

You go ahead and vote for your Nationalist Fascist Populist.

We want nothing to do with him, you or your Uniparty.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

The same garbage that obama told Pub leaders after his election.

I'll stand on my principals. Trying to lump conservatives in with the GOPe is disingenuous at best.

The GOPe is warming up to Trump for some of the same reasons conservatives are walking away. Trump has no core values and will "negotiate" with anyone. If he were to win nothing changes for the inside the beltway crowd. If he loses the GOPe gets to say "hey, we supported a conservative and he lost badly, now it's time to get on board with us."
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Keen that sophomoric stuff over at TOS. It doesn't belong here.

The tactic of trying to delegitimize other people's political positions by trying to paint them as emotional or based on some sort of bias is what liberals do. Opposition to Obama and his policies were painted as being based on racism.

I am a life-long broken glass Republcan who understood that once the primaries were over, the Party rank and file should stand behind the nominee, irrespective of any previous support for other candidates.

This time is different for me.

I don't trust Trump.

He's taken way too policy positions that I vehemently disagree with, and I believe him to be a classic NE liberal pretending to be a Republcan.

My decision to not vote for him in the GE has NOTHING to do with being sour grapes.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Ben Sasse should immediately resign his Republican party alliance and declare himself a member of the Constitution Party. That would be one less vote the GOPe has in the Senate.  Three more and McConnell would loose his cushy elite status.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

A-Lert

lol nonsense, same tactic over and over.   Never a discussion by a Trump supporter.  its always an all out attack for any disagreement.

The hypocrisy of the neverTrumps is astounding.

A-Lert

Ben Sasse should immediately resign his Republican party alliance and declare himself a member of the Constitution Party. That would be one less vote the GOPe has in the Senate.  Three more and McConnell would loose his cushy elite status.

Yeah, that'll do it. Nothing more beloved than a sore loser.