Author Topic: Newt Gingrich Tops Trump's VP List  (Read 5150 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newt Gingrich Tops Trump's VP List
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:21:50 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=728194

Newsmax
Newt Gingrich Tops Trump's VP List
Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:55 PM

By: John Gizzi

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is now the leading candidate to be tapped by Donald Trump as his running mate, a close confidante of Trump tells Newsmax.

On Tuesday, Trump told the AP that he has whittled down his choices to 5 or 6 names.

"I have a list of people that I would like," Trump revealed in his interview Tuesday.

But the name that keeps cropping up as his favorite is Gingrich, a Trump confidante tells Newsmax.

Trump has tapped former presidential contender Ben Carson to help pick his running mate.  Carson said Tuesday that he is stepping down from that post to focus on the Thursday meeting between Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan. Trump also announced this week that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will head his transition team.

Trump is said to favor Gingrich for several reasons.

First, Trump recognizes he is a Washington neophyte and sees in Gingrich someone who can school him in the legislative process and “make nice” with Capitol Hill.

Trump admitted to the AP he wants a running mate who can help him "with legislation, getting things through."

As Speaker, Gingrich successfully got Bill Clinton to sign legislation abolishing welfare, while agreeing to budget constraints that led to the first balanced budgets in a generation.

Trump has other reasons he is leaning toward Gingrich. He is said to personally like him. Rubio, Newsmax reported, has already been eliminated though he lobbied through surrogates for the job. Rubio has denied doing so.

Trump also finds Ohio Gov. John Kasich “kind of quirky” and not someone he resonates with, the confidante said.

Trump is apparently discarding the traditional approach of picking a running mate to provide geographic or ideological balance to his ticket. Instead he wants someone he “can live with for eight years,” the Trump source said.

This concept of a “simpatico ticket,” while rare, occurred when then-Gov. Bill Clinton of Arkansas turned to then-Sen. Al Gore of nearby Tennessee to run with him in his successful 1992 bid for president.

Though Gingrich did not endorse Trump, the Fox News commentator was an early defender of Trump in the GOP primary.

In addition, they pointed out, Gingrich helped organize a key meeting of Washington insiders for Trump that included former House Appropriations Committee Chairman Bob Livingston, R.-LA, and Heritage Foundation President and former Sen. Jim DeMint, R.-S.C.

“Donald values loyalty,” the source said, and Gingrich has been loyal.

Trump told the AP that he also is looking for a candidate who has held office and been under the public microscope.

"For the most part, they've been vetted over the last 20 years," he explained to the AP.

Gingrich has had such vetting, and survived a bitter, though unsuccessful run for president in 2012 against Mitt Romney.

Gingrich is also considered one of the best communicators in the party, and Trump is placing great emphasis on who can go toe-to-toe against Hillary Clinton’s running mate in upcoming debates.

Trump’s camp also is also said to be worried that his move to the center, already underway, may alienate conservative voters.

Gingrich remains a popular “Reaganite” – and could re-assure these voters if Trump takes positions not in line with party orthodoxy, the source said.

Newsmax queried Gingrich if he has been in discussions with the Trump campaign about the VP slot.

He offered a terse email reply: "No."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Newt Gingrich Tops Trump's VP List
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »
Newt would be good. I think even Donald knows he's in over his head, but Newt is a solid conservative for the most part (save for some embarassing photo shoots with Pelosi). Plus nobody knows government, policy, or procedure more than him.

I'd feel better voting for Donald with Newt as the power behind the throne.

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:41:48 pm »
I somewhat agree.  Newt could make a world of difference.  The problem as I see it is that Trump, being a crazed narcissist, will not follow Newt's advice.  It would wound his ego too much to do so.

We could just feed Donald's narcissism and let Newt run things in the background.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:42:18 pm »
Newt was about impeaching Activist Judges...
 :pondering:
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
Newt would make a great choice.  He has vast experience and is intellectually astute.  He has not attacked Trump, so there is no worry about the VP's statements coming back in attack ads.

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »
Trump/Gingrich 2016: It Is What It Is!

Good campaign slogan.  :laugh:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:50:29 pm »
Aaaaah...maybe. It certainly would be more palletable if Trump would resign and go back to his crony capitalism palace after 2 years and a couple days, and turn the reins over to Gingrich.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »
Newt was about impeaching Activist Judges...
 :pondering:

There is precedent for it, something that isn't widely known:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 03:07:20 pm »
LOL. Yeah. Donny/Newt '16. That's the ticket. A Crony Capitalist and the consummate DC insider who hasn't seen a Progressive big govt' solution to something he didn't love.

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 03:12:21 pm »
Trump/Gingrich 2016: It Is What It Is!

Good campaign slogan.  :laugh:

Hey, I like that. Maybe we can come up with some alternatives?

Trump/Gingrich 2016: What else can you do?

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 03:20:08 pm »
Trump/Gingrich 2016 "Hillary for prison and her surrogate judges too."
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »
A good choice overall, that Pelosi commercial was bizarre though.
It will help heal some wounds.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 03:29:15 pm »
LOL. Yeah. Donny/Newt '16. That's the ticket. A Crony Capitalist and the consummate DC insider who hasn't seen a Progressive big govt' solution to something he didn't love.

Frank, I think he's running out of options.   But, I agree with you.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
Newt was my choice in 2012. If this is real it could move me from NeverTrump to MaybeTrump. I just cant see Trump completing his term. I think living in the isolation and political kindergarten of DC will cause him to bail..in other words I could possibly hold my nose and vote for an unprincipled liberal to hopefully get a principled Conservative....

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »
Newt was my choice in 2012. If this is real it could move me from NeverTrump to MaybeTrump. I just cant see Trump completing his term. I think living in the isolation and political kindergarten of DC will cause him to bail..in other words I could possibly hold my nose and vote for an unprincipled liberal to hopefully get a principled Conservative....
It moves the needle a bit for me as well.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 03:42:45 pm »
A good choice overall, that Pelosi commercial was bizarre though.
It will help heal some wounds.

It isn't bizarre if you are on record supporting man made global warming and have pitched big govt' solutions to handle it. Newt is also all about the health care mandate and a whole host of Progressive gems.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 03:45:25 pm »
It isn't bizarre if you are on record supporting man made global warming and have pitched big govt' solutions to handle it. Newt is also all about the health care mandate and a whole host of Progressive gems.

Yes, Newt, like someone else we know, talks a good talk, and even has some historical credibility, but he's so much more than that.

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
Yes, Newt, like someone else we know, talks a good talk, and even has some historical credibility, but he's so much more than that.

Newt basically created the modern conservative movement IMO. He had way more influence than Reagan.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:01 pm »
Newt basically created the modern conservative movement IMO. He had way more influence than Reagan.

And he flushed it all down the toilet when he did this...

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:30 pm »
And he flushed it all down the toilet when he did this...

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm happy to attribute it to alcohol or a midlife crisis.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:59 pm »

That's baloney. Reagan's policies lasted far longer than anything Newt did. There is a solid argument to make that the reason we haven't fully collapsed yet is because we are still using some of Reagan's tax and regulatory policies.  Reagan was also well like universal except for the hard left. At the end of 3 years as Speaker Newt was hated by many and he was basically thrown out of the House (Ethics violation) after barely surviving a coup by his own leadership.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »

Frank, Yes, you are correct and I may have to rethink this pick.
After your post, I did some research and found this:

– Continually supported increased federal spending.
– Supported the National Endowment for the Arts;
– Voted for the creation of the Federal Dept. of Education in 1979 under Jimmy Carter.
– Big supporter of Foreign Aid — even to Soviets through the Export-Import Bank.
– In one year (1994-1995) Gingrich voted for nearly $45 billion in foreign aid.
– He helped push through Federally-funded loan guarantees to Communist China.
– Urged the House to repeal the War Powers Act and give the Presidency more power.

Thanks for the warning. I guess I had rose colored glass on.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 04:01:44 pm »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 04:04:57 pm »
Everyone makes mistakes. I'm happy to attribute it to alcohol or a midlife crisis.

Then what was his excuse for supporting an expansion of Medicare, No Child Left Behind, TARP and so on and so on?

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 04:09:32 pm »
Shimmering Immaculate Republican Candidate Appears Before GOP Officials

‘It’s Him,’ Stunned Conservative Leaders Mutter

http://www.theonion.com/article/shimmering-immaculate-republican-candidate-appears-52710

I'll just post my rebuttal.  ^-^