Author Topic: James Bond meets Samuel Colt [actually meets Mossberg]: Seeking to build a safer gun  (Read 504 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
http://www.thonline.com/news/national_world/article_5c423cf5-c348-55ad-b23e-f59f56c34df6.html

Associated Press |

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Jonathan Mossberg is among a small number of pioneers looking to build a safer gun. But unlike many others, he was in the gun business when he started down that path.

His family is renowned for its premier line of shotguns treasured by law enforcement, hunters and the military. Mossberg already has spent more than a decade working to develop — and someday bring to the market — a firearm that the wrong person cannot fire. It is intended to work without fail in the hands of its owner in a life-or-death situation.

“We’re gun people, so we know when you pick up a gun you want to shoot it,” Mossberg said. “You don’t want to swipe your finger. You don’t want to talk to it. In an emergency situation, you want to pick it up and use it.”

Mossberg’s iGun Technology Corp., based in Daytona Beach, Fla., relies on a simple piece of jewelry — a ring — that “talks” to a circuit board imbedded in a firearm to let it know the user is authorized.

The ring must be within centimeters of the gun for the gun to fire.

The road to a safer gun has been long. Initial efforts encountered a public wary of the technology, but that has eased as iPhones, tablets and other smart devices have become common.

[excerpted]
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Suppressed

Once this becomes available, laws such as in NJ automatically trigger (no pun intended).

So many problems with it.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I have the strange urge to imamate that Johnny Cash picture and show them which finger they can put that ring on.

If someone breaks into my house I want my wife or myself to be able to grab the gun and shoot no matter when. I don't want her to not be able to shoot, because she took the elctro-ring off to knead bread.

If we take an EMP attack I want my gun to work.

If an assailant chops off my finger with a knife, I want my gun to work.

If I suffer a tragic boating accident and somehow miraculously rescue this gun. I want it to work.

The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. - Scotty from Star Trek.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour