Author Topic: If the Donald Loses in November, It Won’t Be #NeverTrump That’s to Blame  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This conversation is becoming repetitious and stagnant ... .

I'm out.

See y'all around campus.   :beer:

Bill Cipher

This conversation is becoming repetitious and stagnant ... .

I'm out.

See y'all around campus.   :beer:

Yah, the truth can be that way; it's inconvenient, it doesn't change, and it sticks around no matter how often you deny it.

Offline sinkspur

Ah, Sink .... newsflash:  if this is how you see the election choices, come January 20 you will be drinking one or the other - - - so you might want to be saving that straw.    ^-^

If I drink neither, I choose neither.  That you can't see that is some kind of logical blindness.

70 million voting-age Americans won't vote in November.  They're voting for neither Trump nor Hillary.  I'm just joining their number.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HonestJohn

Luis, I "get" how you feel about Donald Trump.  And I don't think "hate" is too strong a word.  And, that's fine.  If you hate him, you hate him.  I'm not going to try and talk you out of that.

But if on election day your choice is Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump and you withdraw because Trump is "not fit to lead this country" ... you are saying, by default, that Hillary Clinton is.   

If this is what your conscience is telling you, why not drop the defensiveness.   :shrug:

The Trump supporter (a minority of GOP primary voters), despite knowing that the majority of GOP voters actively despise the candidate, have brought us close to that scenario.  That lays solely at their feet.

And there is still time to stop it.  But they won't.  That lays at their feet as well.

Trump supporters own this, as they knew *BEFOREHAND* of the consequences.  It's pure chutzpah and it not looked on with any sort of favor.

The Trump supporter (a minority of GOP primary voters), .

How can you say this?

HonestJohn

How can you say this?

Add up the number of all votes cast in the GOP primaries - the total number of Trump votes cast in all the GOP primaries = most than 50% of all votes cast in the GOP primaries have been for someone other than Trump.

Add up the number of all votes cast in the GOP primaries - the total number of Trump votes cast in all the GOP primaries = most than 50% of all votes cast in the GOP primaries have been for someone other than Trump.

This is a silly argument, IMHO, John.  How many have voted for someone other than Cruz?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
This is a silly argument, IMHO, John.  How many have voted for someone other than Cruz?

That's not a "silly argument", that's a fact.

Trump supporters are less than 50% of the votes cast. That's a minority no matter how you look at it, and the fact that Cruz supporters are also a minority doesn't make it less true.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

Beside the point.  Close to 60% of voters have not cast a vote for Trump.  He'll barely eke out a win at the Convention.  And he's made it clear that he doesn't care if the party unites behind him or not.

He'll get his wish.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

Aren't neverTrump people saying their self-righteous hatred of Donald Trump is more important to them than stopping another eight years of a Clinton presidency?    :shrug:

Trump is a phony, corrupt, ego-maniacal, vulgar, perverted liberal Democrat. I don't see why anyone would vote for him.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Luis, I "get" how you feel about Donald Trump.  And I don't think "hate" is too strong a word.  And, that's fine.  If you hate him, you hate him.  I'm not going to try and talk you out of that.

But if on election day your choice is Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump and you withdraw because Trump is "not fit to lead this country" ... you are saying, by default, that Hillary Clinton is.   

If this is what your conscience is telling you, why not drop the defensiveness.   :shrug:

Amazing.

In order for me to fit your narrative you have to belittle political opposition by deeming it to be emotionally based and lacking reason.

I don't hate Trump. I don't know the man.

I oppose his candidacy and I firmly believe that he will lose come November.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The Fallacy of the False Dichotomy.

There will be several choices on that ballot in November.

Those voting for Trump or Hillary will be the ones voting for people who are (in my eyes) unqualified to lead the country.

That's not a "silly argument", that's a fact.

Trump supporters are less than 50% of the votes cast. That's a minority no matter how you look at it, and the fact that Cruz supporters are also a minority doesn't make it less true. 

Even IF (a big IF) what you propose is true, Cruz is doing worse.  Cruz is being rejected outright by GOP voters.

Yes, you present a silly argument.

Amazing.

In order for me to fit your narrative you have to belittle political opposition by deeming it to be emotionally based and lacking reason.

I don't hate Trump. I don't know the man.   

I don't have a narrative, Luis.  Again.... I'm responding to an article written by a neverTrump person.  This is his agenda, not mine.

And I'm glad you don't hate the man. 

Thanks.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Even IF (a big IF) what you propose is true, Cruz is doing worse.  Cruz is being rejected outright by GOP voters.

Yes, you present a silly argument.

He never presented the argument that Cruz would do better and neither did I. He just stated the fact that Trump supporters are a minority of the votes cast in the GOP primaries to date.

That's an irrefutable fact.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
I don't have a narrative, Luis.  Again.... I'm responding to an article written by a neverTrump person.  This is his agenda, not mine.

Thanks.

Of course you do.

You portray political opposition as "hatred". You do it all the time, and you do it to besmirch the opposition.

Offline MajorClay

Great article!  Jonah knocks it out of the park.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Fallacy of the False Dichotomy.

There will be several choices on that ballot in November.

Those voting for Trump or Hillary will be the ones voting for people who are (in my eyes) unqualified to lead the country.
This.

If I choose not to vote for Donald Trump, my vote does not count toward Hillary Clinton's. No candidate is entitled to my vote or anyone else's by default, and not choosing one is not a vote for another. Period.

Candidates are not subjected to a yes-or-no vote in this country. If they were, Donald Trump would have been eliminated long ago.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

The article brings up an interesting question:  why, if Trump supporters are convinced their guy is an inevitable juggernaut who will end up sweeping the nation in November, are they so infuriated by #NeverTrump?

I suspect part of the answer is that their confidence is exaggerated.  Another part is that they can't bear it when someone refuses to kiss Trump's ring.  I browse Twitter, and I've seen the angry yells that we will eventually "bow down before Trump."

We won't, and when Trump loses, the blame can be traced to this, very simply: we moaned and wished for years for a conservative candidate who would actually fight, and we got one.  But we trashed him in favor of a morally bankrupt, know-nothing vulgarian & cretin....a reality show celebrity.  We warned and we tried to reason with them for months.  Those of us who refused to go along with the foolish self-deception will bear no culpability.

Bill Cipher

The article brings up an interesting question:  why, if Trump supporters are convinced their guy is an inevitable juggernaut who will end up sweeping the nation in November, are they so infuriated by #NeverTrump?

I suspect part of the answer is that their confidence is exaggerated.  Another part is that they can't bear it when someone refuses to kiss Trump's ring.  I browse Twitter, and I've seen the angry yells that we will eventually "bow down before Trump."

We won't, and when Trump loses, the blame can be traced to this, very simply: we moaned and wished for years for a conservative candidate who would actually fight, and we got one.  But we trashed him in favor of a morally bankrupt, know-nothing vulgarian & cretin....a reality show celebrity.  We warned and we tried to reason with them for months.  Those of us who refused to go along with the foolish self-deception will bear no culpability.

Well put. 

#NeverTrump

Offline bolobaby

Thanks.

Yep. Cruz *is* being rejected by *GOP* voters. You know, the lightweights - the people conservatives rail against. The people who are willing to say, "Yeah, that Obamacare... it's settled law now. Time to move on." The people who brought us McCain, Dole, and Romney.

Meanwhile, actual conservatives are supporting Cruz in droves.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!