Author Topic: Trump to Nevada delegates: I'll pay your travel, hotel costs  (Read 1974 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to Nevada delegates: I'll pay your travel, hotel costs
« on: April 17, 2016, 06:39:53 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-to-nev.-delegates-ill-pay-your-travel-hotel-costs/article/2588755

Trump to Nevada delegates: I'll pay your travel, hotel costs
By David M. Drucker (@DavidMDrucker) • 4/17/16 10:30

Donald Trump's campaign is going all out to win delegates in Nevada, offering to cover transportation and lodging costs for Nevada supporters who travel to Reno in mid May to participate in delegate elections.

Trump's Nevada activities contradict his claim that he has deliberately declined to invest resources in the election of delegates to the Republican nominating convention in Cleveland because the process is "corrupt."

"With overwhelming success throughout each county, we're in a strong position going into the state convention being held in Reno on May 14th and 15th," Charles Munoz, Trump's Nevada state director, wrote in an email to the billionaire's grassroots supporters. "We'll also be announcing training's, lodging and transportation opportunities for delegates within the next couple days."

Ted Cruz, Trump's closest competitor, has run circles around the reality television star in delegate elections across the country. The Texas senator has installed loyalists on convention delegations that are prepared to vote flip to him once unbound from their obligation to support the candidate that won the caucus or primary in their state.

Cruz swept delegate elections in states like Colorado and Wyoming that elected delegates directly and are automatically bound to the Texan. And, more significantly, Cruz appears to be winning over delegates in states where Trump won primaries, including in Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Louisiana and several others.

Trump explains his campaign's delegate failures by saying that the process was "rigged" against him. The New Yorker said he understood the rules, but chose not to shower money on prospective delegates to win their support.

But his offer to pay for his Nevada supporters' travel to the May 14-15 state GOP convention in Reno undercuts that claim.

"I don't want to waste millions of dollars going out to Colorado knowing the system is rigged. I don't want to waste millions of dollars going out to Wyoming, many months before, to wine and dine and essentially pay off all these people, because a lot of it's a payoff, you understand that," Trump said Saturday during an interview on Fox News. "They treat them, they take them to dinner, they get them these hotels, I mean the whole thing is a big payoff. Has nothing to do with democracy."

Trump, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination with 744 delegates, has attacked the party's process for electing delegates to the July convention. If Trump fails to win a 1,237 majority on the first ballot, Cruz, who has 559 delegates, and Gov. John Kasich of Ohio, who has 144, would be able to challenge Trump for the nomination in subsequent voting.

Trump won the Feb. 23 Nevada caucuses easily, with 46 percent of the vote. That netted him 14 of the state's 31 delegates to Cleveland bound to support him on first ballot. But Nevada is among the few states where Trump's campaign appears to be relatively well organized since and positioned to post victories in delegate elections and protect his hold on the delegation.

The process in Nevada began with electing delegates in county conventions. Those winners proceed to the state convention. Pro-Cruz forces expect the senator to have a solid showing in terms of electing delegates but have conceded that the Trump team is competitive and likely to install its own share of loyalists onto the Nevada delegation.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: Trump to Nevada delegates: I'll pay your travel, hotel costs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:47:38 pm »
Is it legal for him to pay for those things

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:56:05 pm »

Is it considered a bribe?
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »
This headline and subsequent story is a lie.

Below is the link to Trump's press conference from earlier today.  Forward to 34.0 and listen to what Trump says.  He is talking about the corrupt system.  He begins talking about what he COULD do because he has better "toys"....and sites his plane and hotel.  Then he says he WON'T do that because it is corrupt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgL47NyLCzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgL47NyLCzE

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 07:16:36 pm »
Nah. 
Cat houses are legal in NV.  .

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:19:22 pm »

Your question is moot, Myst.  Watch the video and hear what he actually said.  Trump is pointing out the corruption of the system and saying he will NOT engage in it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:11 pm »

It doesn't have to be a bribe. It is still an ethics violation and against the law, if the implication is true.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »
Your question is moot, Myst.  Watch the video and hear what he actually said.  Trump is pointing out the corruption of the system and saying he will NOT engage in it.

:silly:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 07:27:06 pm »
http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2016/04/17/donald-trump-nevada-pledged-delegates/

Donald Trump hastily scrambles to go buy him some pledged delegates in Nevada.

By: Moe Lane (Diary)  |  April 17th, 2016 at 11:30 AM  |  13

How bad for Donald Trump is the upcoming delegate selection situation in Nevada?  It’s apparently so bad that he’s… that he’s… that he’s thinking to spend money on the problem. The Washington Examiner reports that Trump’s Nevada campaign will be “announcing training’s, lodging and transportation opportunities for delegates within the next couple days” (please note that the rogue apostrophe in that quote is the fault of the Trump campaign, not the Examiner).  Well.  Perhaps pain is an excellent motivational tool, after all.

A few things that jump out at me about this story:

Yes, in fact, as the Examiner notes: this absolutely steps on Trump’s narrative that he’s being somehow cheated out of his birthright by corrupt DC insiders (which must infuriate Donald Trump, seeing as apparently those same corrupt DC insiders are unaccountably refusing to simply let him buy them). I mean: to quote Trump elsewhere… “They treat them, they take them to dinner, they get them these hotels, I mean the whole thing is a big payoff. Has nothing to do with democracy.” But everything to do with hypocrisy, apparently. Isn’t it adorable when fake-populists finally stop pretending that they aren’t Just Another Politician?

Speaking of hypocrisy: schmoozing people is, the last time I checked, a common tool in the real estate developer’s toolbox.  It’s just that they like to reserve it for people who matter, at least as a real estate developer defines the term. It’s no accident that Trump’s campaign is doing this in Nevada and not elsewhere – after all, Nevada is where the man makes a decent hunk of his money. And if a Trump delegate from, say, Georgia is reading this and wondering why he didn’t get offered similar treatment, well: the answer is straightforward enough. Trump didn’t think that you’re worth it.

Also: yes, Donald Trump’s state organization is stronger in Nevada then elsewhere – probably a byproduct of his business connections in the state – so expect a brawl over delegates. Not least because it would be absolutely embarrassing for Donald Trump to have unreliable delegates in Nevada. Dude fairly obviously considers Nevada to be his. Mind you, Trump didn’t get 50% of the vote in Nevada, so taking those delegates away anyway isn’t impossible; it’s merely not going to be a romp. Like it’s been so far, and probably will still be elsewhere.

Finally: …I don’t want to say this, but basic humanity and my ongoing struggle to follow the tenets of Christianity compel me to: any delegate or delegate-candidate that wants to take up Donald Trump’s offer for resources needs to get that money in advance. Donald Trump doesn’t have a name for paying his bills on time. Or sometimes at all. And if the campaign goes with in-kind offers, expect the bare minimum being offered.  Donald Trump, like many extremely wealthy people, is a cheapskate when it comes to his own money
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »
Thanks for the video RIV!
Support the USO

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:40:22 pm »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 07:46:32 pm »

Yes, that was my question. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 08:08:55 pm »
It doesn't have to be a bribe. It is still an ethics violation and against the law, if the implication is true.

Interesting that Trump whines that he is being treated unfairly and the system is rigged when Cruz is following the rules, but yet he does something unethical and that is supposed to be ok. This is nothing more than Trump's liberalism on full display.  With the DEMS they tend to look the other way with ethics violations and see it as perfectly acceptable as long as it obtains their objective.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »
Then he says he WON'T do that because it is corrupt.

That has never once in his life stopped him before. He has  a lifetime of corruption

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:12 pm »

According to Reagan's former lawyer, paying for travel or meals is legal and on par (sustenance). Anything beyond that could be crossing the line into bribe territory.
http://www.wfuv.org/content/can-candidate-pay-delegates-plus-3-possible-gop-convention-scenarios
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:51:11 pm by AbaraXas »

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 08:59:48 pm »
According to Reagan's former lawyer, paying for travel or meals is legal and on par (sustenance). Anything beyond that could be crossing the line into bribe territory.
http://www.wfuv.org/content/can-candidate-pay-delegates-plus-3-possible-gop-convention-scenarios

I'll bet "bribery" of delegates hasn't ever happened before.  :facepalm2:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 09:17:44 pm »
I'll bet "bribery" of delegates hasn't ever happened before.  :facepalm2:

And God forbid anyone should question Saint Donny's right to bribe whomever he wishes, including delegates.  It may be unethical for some, but if Saint Donny does it,  then it must be ok.