Author Topic: Trump Is Planning His Exit Strategy In Case He Loses  (Read 1643 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Trump Is Planning His Exit Strategy In Case He Loses
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:48 pm »
IMHO I believe it is unlikely that Trump will get the 1237 delegates needed and has a very slim chance of winning at the Convention.  Donald right now is throwing nothing more than a temper tantrum...very childish indeed.

Donald Trump is planning his exit strategy in case he loses the GOP nomination

One of the reasons that so many incorrect political observers (including myself) assumed Donald Trump wouldn’t actually run for president was that he wouldn’t be able to cope with certain loss.

Early last year when he was considering a run, he was registering nothing in the polls and his favorability ratings were comically poor among Republicans and the general population alike.

Since he was going to lose everything, and by a lot, what would be his exit strategy from the race? Wouldn’t he have to quit by, say, December, after getting some good publicity but before real voting commenced, so he could lie about how he could have won the presidency but didn’t feel like it?

As I was saying: incorrect. Trump will almost certainly finish primary season with the most votes, states won, and delegates to his name. But he has not won anything since Arizona’s primary on March 22 and, in the meantime, he has lost the Wisconsin primary and has been outhustled on the ground by Sen. Ted Cruz in Colorado’s convention delegate hunt.

His disorganization in selecting loyal convention delegates from the states he’s already won means he has little chance of winning the nomination if it extends beyond a first convention ballot, and winning on the first ballot will likely rest on his ability to woo some not-insignificant number of scattered unbound delegates to his corner...

...After all that, it returns us to that original question: How would Donald Trump cope with a loss, or as he might call it were anyone else in his shoes at this point, a “choking?” How would he spin such a convention defeat to prevent his brand and his legacy—because he has earned himself a sizable legacy in modern American political history, regardless of what happens next—from forever being associated not just with defeat, but with an inability to close out the greatest deal of his life?...

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-is-planning-his-exit-strategy-2016-4/Donald

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Wingnut

Re: Trump Is Planning His Exit Strategy In Case He Loses
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 01:56:34 pm »
People are tiring of his Howard Beale, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore." act. 

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:13:30 pm »
I think he has already lost.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »
Someone was on the news show I was watching, maybe Rich Lowry, and he pointed out that Trump was already talking like a loser, in being mad that he lost these delegates. He's complaining about delegates and he hasn't even lost yet. Delegates can vote however they want.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:21:05 pm »
In this, he would be right and wrong. The party will have used every trick it had to stop him. But that he has gotten as far as he has demonstrates the dearth of tricks available to the party, since winner-take-all or winner-take-most rules frequently allowed him to turn his narrow pluralities into majority delegate pickups.

Exactly.  Trump is not the popular front runner; he is front runner solely because of the way the WTA state primaries skew things. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:21:31 pm by Bill Cipher »

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:26:21 pm »
Exactly.  Trump is not the popular front runner; he is front runner solely because of the way the WTA state primaries skew things.

WTA was enacted to "wrap thing up fast". If the GOP went proportional, it would basically guarantee that anytime you had a viable 3 person race it would end up as a brokered/contested convention.

The strategy really blew up in the GOP's face this year.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »
WTA was enacted to "wrap thing up fast". If the GOP went proportional, it would basically guarantee that anytime you had a viable 3 person race it would end up as a brokered/contested convention.

The strategy really blew up in the GOP's face this year.

We should have a brokered/open convention anytime no one candidate can build a real consensus in the primaries.  We shouldn't be afraid of real small-d democracy. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »
I really don't see the panic about a contested convention. We've had them before and we will have them again.

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 08:35:14 pm »
We should have a brokered/open convention anytime no one candidate can build a real consensus in the primaries.  We shouldn't be afraid of real small-d democracy.

My changes to the primary system:

1) All 50 primaries happen on the same day: Super Tuesday in March.
2) Delegates awarded proportionally, bound to assigned candidates on first ballot, delegates unbound after that. Majority of delegates required to nominate on any ballot.

Think it'd be way better with those two changes.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 08:38:31 pm »
I really don't see the panic about a contested convention. We've had them before and we will have them again.

Frank,   They haven't taught original US history in school for a generation or two.  How are they supposed to know?   

Bill Cipher

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »
Frank,   They haven't taught original US history in school for a generation or two.  How are they supposed to know?   

I know. They used to teach civics classes, which exposed Americans to their basic obligations as Americans; now they don't. 

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 08:48:50 pm »

I know. They used to teach civics classes, which exposed Americans to their basic obligations as Americans; now they don't.

Civics.   What a novel concept.   Liberals hated civics and Home EC.   It was axed about the same time the big push for the ERA was launched.   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:49:42 pm by Wingnut »

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
Along the lines of a contest convention is something that hasn't happened in almost 200 years... a Presidential election ending up in the HOuse of Representatives. All you need is for no candidate to reach a majority of electoral college votes, which could easily happen in a viable 3 way race.

I would like to see it once in my lifetime.  :laugh:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 09:24:33 pm »
Along the lines of a contest convention is something that hasn't happened in almost 200 years... a Presidential election ending up in the HOuse of Representatives. All you need is for no candidate to reach a majority of electoral college votes, which could easily happen in a viable 3 way race.

I would like to see it once in my lifetime.  :laugh:

Would that be settled by the lame duck house, or the house after the elections.

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »
Would that be settled by the lame duck house, or the house after the elections.

It's weird. It's the newly elected House and each state gets one vote, and each state delegation votes to decide which way their state goes. Eg., California gets one vote and the Representatives vote on who to give it to.

If nobody is chosen by the time the inauguration happens, then the newly elected vice president, chosen by the Senate, becomes President.

Crazy. What's funny is that you could have a President and Vice President from different parties. It would be awesome.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 10:04:20 pm »
People are tiring of his Howard Beale, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore." act.

I never did like the "I'm as mad as heel, and I'm not going to take this anymore act" from our side..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 10:08:07 pm »

I never did like the "I'm as mad as heel, and I'm not going to take this anymore act" from our side..

I Trump was on our side That would be a fair statement.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:18 pm »
I Trump was on our side That would be a fair statement.

True, but I have heard that type of act from a lot talk show hosts who claim to be on our side.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »

True, but I have heard that type of act from a lot talk show hosts who claim to be on our side.

Yes, they have done that often, and in spades.   But his Trumpness amps it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 10:12:15 pm »
Yes, they have done that often, and in spades.   But his Trumpness amps it.

True, and I hope this is the last time see this act.