Author Topic: Trump: Cruz's campaign bought rights to GQ photo  (Read 2767 times)

Offline flowers

Trump: Cruz's campaign bought rights to GQ photo
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/274411-trump-cruzs-campaign-bought-rights-to-gq-photo

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump on Sunday slammed rival Ted Cruz for the recent ad produced by an anti-Trump super-PAC featuring a photo of Trump's wife posing nude.

"From what I hear, he and his campaign went out and bought the cover shoot.  Melania did a cover story for 'GQ,' a very strong modeling picture.  No big deal," Trump said on ABC's "This Week."

ADVERTISEMENT
"But it was a cover story for 'GQ,' a big magazine.  And it was, you know, fine.  And from what I hear, somebody bought the rights to it and he was the one or his campaign bought the rights and they gave it to the super PAC."

Trump said Cruz knew about the ad, adding he started the latest fight between the two. Last week, Trump threatened to "spill the beans" on Cruz's wife in response to the ad featuring Melania Trump. He then shared a tweet featuring a photo of his wife next to a photo of Cruz's wife, stating, "A picture is worth a thousands words."

Cruz has denied knowing anything about the ad, and called it deplorable on Sunday.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump: Cruz's campaign bought rights to GQ photo
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:41:33 pm »
That nonsense has been peddled here, too, that Cruz went out and bought the pic.

The problem is, the pic in the ad was the same blurry image one finds on the internet when one does a search on "Melania, GQ".  A purchased image would have been clear and with much better resolution than an image pulled off the web.

Trump lies, habitually, so his "I heard" is just made up, intended to justify his outrageous response, now that he's been caught.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:23:48 pm »
Am I correct in thinking that if an image is going to be used as an ad or something - that one would have to buy the rights to it?  That even if one didn't and used a blurry internet image - it would violate the copyright on the photo? 

I have heard the rumor that Cruz, knowing that the NE story was coming out, engineered this whole Melania thing to get Trump's goat and to get him to fire back - so that when the NE story came out, it would look like Trump was behind it for revenge. 

All speculation, of course - but that explanation sounds plausible to me.  The timing of the thing does not favor Trump.  If he was sitting on a story like the Cruz mistress one - surely he would have released it before Utah - to try to turn the Mormon vote away from Cruz?  Why was the story released after Utah?  Must be a lot more to it than my mind can come up with since I'm not an insider with access to the different campaign's strategies. 

It could be an interesting week.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:45:05 pm »
That nonsense has been peddled here, too, that Cruz went out and bought the pic. 

The Cruz campaign, dear.

That's what is meant here.

Thanks.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
So basically the proof is Trump channeling mob wife Teena Maria Dillavecachelli at a beauty salon in Queens saying 'well I heard Anna Marie went to Jersey and had a face lift and a boob job.'

Iron clad right there.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:49:57 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 05:55:08 pm »
Oh. Trump lying through his teeth again that he heard a rumor from some guy on the street corner is proof this happened even though it has already been debunked.

It this what the Trump supporters are stuck peddling now to boost their loser candidate? They must feel terribly demoralized stooping to non facts to boost their guy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »
The Cruz campaign, dear.

That's what is meant here.

Thanks.

Why would they buy it?  It's all over the web.

No proof of Cruz's campaign doing anything.

However:

Chuck Todd:  Evidence is that Trump campaign planted sex scandal story

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,200378.msg824744/topicseen.html#msg824744
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:00:58 pm »
Wow.  "From what I hear."   That's certainly definitive proof.  Not. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:06:11 pm »
"From what I hear, he and his campaign went out and bought the cover shoot.  Melania did a cover story for 'GQ,' a very strong modeling picture.  No big deal," Trump said on ABC's "This Week."

So Trump is repeating a debunked blog suggestion that even big pro-Trump Gateway Pundit said seemed bogus.

Here is my boilerplate response to this:

First of all, the reports Roe purchased it have been dismissed. It was claimed by a blog with no evidence. Even the Trump supporting Gateway Pundit website said that report looks bogus. No legitimate source is claiming that, and even biased sources for Trump say it isn't true.

Second, if a campaign of any sort paid for usage rights of an image, they wouldn't be using a low resolution magazine scan that is all over Google.  This looks like an image some kid scanned off his home computer, not a high quality image a magazine would supply if rights-use was purchased.

Third, in the nature of politics, a campaign or PAC can claim fair use on an image that is in the public discourse.  This image is all over Google and just like the media reporting using the image, a campaign can also claim it is germane to public discourse and protected under fair use guidelines. (in the same way Trump used an image of Heidi Cruz from a Reuters snapshot that I'm sure he didn't get permission for).

Fourth, don't assume Liz Mair (who admitted she was behind it) even thought of copyright issues. Images like this are used constantly in memes and I doubt anyone even thinks of purchasing image rights.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »
Am I correct in thinking that if an image is going to be used as an ad or something - that one would have to buy the rights to it?  That even if one didn't and used a blurry internet image - it would violate the copyright on the photo? 

I have heard the rumor that Cruz, knowing that the NE story was coming out, engineered this whole Melania thing to get Trump's goat and to get him to fire back - so that when the NE story came out, it would look like Trump was behind it for revenge. 

All speculation, of course - but that explanation sounds plausible to me.  The timing of the thing does not favor Trump.  If he was sitting on a story like the Cruz mistress one - surely he would have released it before Utah - to try to turn the Mormon vote away from Cruz?  Why was the story released after Utah?  Must be a lot more to it than my mind can come up with since I'm not an insider with access to the different campaign's strategies. 

It could be an interesting week.

Nope, it wasn't in an ad, it was in a story. (see post above). It was also being used for political commentary on a public figure so it falls under Fair Use exceptions so a copyright wouldn't be necessary. And frankly, how many people do you think buy copyrights when they make memes or political graphics like that?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »
Nope, it wasn't in an ad, it was in a story. (see post above). It was also being used for political commentary on a public figure so it falls under Fair Use exceptions so a copyright wouldn't be necessary. And frankly, how many people do you think buy copyrights when they make memes or political graphics like that?

What a laugh.  I was looking for the GQ article where they say that Fundraisers purchased the picture.  What did I find?  GQ magazine getting into the action. 

Warning x rated!
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/donald-trump-melania-trump-knauss-first-lady-erections

Very tasteful.  Not.  Looks like Milania had more than one photo shoot.  I wonder if Trump is going to sue GQ?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 12:17:23 am »
What a laugh.  I was looking for the GQ article where they say that Fundraisers purchased the picture.  What did I find?  GQ magazine getting into the action. 

Warning x rated!
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/donald-trump-melania-trump-knauss-first-lady-erections

Very tasteful.  Not.  Looks like Milania had more than one photo shoot.  I wonder if Trump is going to sue GQ?

You do realize that Trump hates Free Speech..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:11:25 am »
So basically the proof is Trump channeling mob wife Teena Maria Dillavecachelli at a beauty salon in Queens saying 'well I heard Anna Marie went to Jersey and had a face lift and a boob job.'

Iron clad right there.

:beer:  Should be moved to one of the 'here say' columns perhaps.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 03:55:00 am »

You do realize that Trump hates Free Speech..

I don't have any money.  Nearly broke.  Paycheck to paycheck. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 03:56:06 am »
:beer:  Should be moved to one of the 'here say' columns perhaps.
You are correct.  It is s Hill blog :beer:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02