Author Topic: Trump Complains: GOP Delegate Threshold 'Unfair'  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Complains: GOP Delegate Threshold 'Unfair'
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:13 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/03/20/majority-threshold-unfair-in-g-o-p-nomination-process-donald-trump-complains/?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Trump Complains:  GOP Delegate Threshold 'Unfair'

Mar.20

3:27 PM ET By Nick Corasaniti

Majority Threshold ‘Unfair’ in G.O.P. Nomination Process, Donald Trump Complains

With the prospect of a contested convention looming over the Republican presidential primary, Donald J. Trump on Sunday complained about the party’s rules requiring a candidate to have a majority of delegates to clinch the nomination outright.

Asked by George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week” why he should be “guaranteed the nomination” if he failed to amass the 1,237 delegates needed to win it on the first ballot, Mr. Trump said that he might be unable to clear that threshold. But he blamed the number of contenders in the Republican field.

“If I’m a little bit short – and one of the reasons was we had so many candidates,” he said. “I mean, we started off with 17 candidates.”

He added: “There are so many candidates, so it’s very hard to get over that number. It’s very unfair.”

He said that denying him the nomination under those circumstances would “disenfranchise” people who voted for him.

But the party’s national chairman, Reince Priebus, appearing on CNN’s “State of the Union,” defended the system for how Republicans choose their standard-bearer as a “delegate-driven process.” He noted that his own floor battle to win the chairmanship went to the seventh ballot, and said that a plurality alone would not be treated as a majority.

“History would show, whether it be Walter Mondale, Gerald Ford, when someone’s a little bit short, you know, you let the process play out,” he said. “And generally if it’s that close, generally that’s what happens. But certainly what I would say is that the minority of delegates doesn’t rule for the majority.”

He and Mr. Trump were in agreement, however, on what would happen if a “stop-Trump” movement of Republicans recruited a conservative to run an independent third-party candidacy: Both said in separate interviews on ABC’s “This Week” that such a gambit would doom Republicans from winning the White House.

“Well, sure it would,” Mr. Priebus said. “Of course it would. But I also think it’s far too late. Some folks find it to be interesting and that’s great. But it isn’t likely and it’s probably too late and there is no definitive answer right now as to who the nominee is going to be of our party.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump Complains: GOP Delegate Threshold 'Unfair'
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:51 pm »

Pluralities at Conventions: the Record

by RAMESH PONNURU   

March 17, 2016 10:01 PM

Party nominees usually come to the convention with a majority of delegates. That could very well happen for the Republicans this year.

What if it doesn’t? A friend noted on Facebook that in five of the last seven cases in which a candidate came to a party convention having earned a plurality of delegates, he didn’t win the nomination. He concludes, “Usually if the front-runner is unable to clinch a majority, it’s a sign of entrenched opposition limiting the potential of the candidacy.”

From a little bit of Googling, he appears to be right. Candidates who came to their conventions with a plurality won the Republican nominations in 1976 and 1948. But the candidate who started with more delegates than anyone else did not win the 1952 Democratic, 1940 Republican, 1924 Democratic, 1920 Republican, or 1920 Democratic nominations.

In those instances the nominations ultimately went to the candidate who came in third, third, seventh, sixth, and third, respectively, on their conventions’ first ballots.

Also worth noting: In only one of the seven cases in which nobody had a majority of the delegates at the start of the convention did the party go on to win in November. The Republicans won in 1920–but they were up against a Democratic party in which no candidate came to the convention with a majority of delegates, either.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432946/pluralities-conventions-record

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:29:28 pm »
Ah. I see there was a typo in his original words ...

"There's going to be so much whining. You'll get tired of whining."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »

Ba-dum bssssssssssssssh!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:33:13 pm »
Whoever came up with the idea that a candidate should actually win a majority of delegates?  Obviously unfair.  Or so says Donald.

HonestJohn

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:34:03 pm »
JFC...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:18 pm »
Unfortunately Trump has talked a big game, about all the yuge winning and the domination. Now he's hedging and even whining.

Yes we did have 17 candidates, but only 4 have delegate counts of any significance. There is plenty of room to win this outright, or If Trump ends up short, well Donald you are the dealmaker, so make a deal already.

He's talked himself into the corner, he's going to have to dig himself out of this.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:59:02 pm »

Priebus: 'The minority of delegates doesn't rule for the majority'
KCRA Channel 3 · 9 hrs ago

"This is a delegate-driven process. This is the first time in a long time people actually cared about delegate count, but delegates matter," Priebus said. "The minority of delegates doesn't rule for the majority." "But I will say this, you're going to have a lot of very unhappy people. And I think, frankly, for the Republicans to disenfranchise all those people because if that happens, they're not voting and the Republicans lose."

Conservatives plot Trump demise before July convention
Dhaka Tribune · 3 hrs ago

A Hail Mary heave to block Trump
Standard Digital News · 3 hrs ago

RNC Chair Priebus All But Admits The GOP Is Trying To Steal The Nomination From Trump
PoliticusUSA · 4 hrs ago

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:51 am »
Priebus: 'The minority of delegates doesn't rule for the majority'
KCRA Channel 3 · 9 hrs ago

"This is a delegate-driven process. This is the first time in a long time people actually cared about delegate count, but delegates matter," Priebus said. "The minority of delegates doesn't rule for the majority." "But I will say this, you're going to have a lot of very unhappy people. And I think, frankly, for the Republicans to disenfranchise all those people because if that happens, they're not voting and the Republicans lose."

Conservatives plot Trump demise before July convention
Dhaka Tribune · 3 hrs ago

A Hail Mary heave to block Trump
Standard Digital News · 3 hrs ago

RNC Chair Priebus All But Admits The GOP Is Trying To Steal The Nomination From Trump
PoliticusUSA · 4 hrs ago

Sounds like the frat boy dick dominance parade is a little worried. His Yugeness was supposed to be doing victory laps right now.

Problem is the Trumpkin whispering and accusing of conspiracies is hollow, as no one has taken from him anything he has earned. They are simply mad that he has opposition, and the opposition is effective to the point.

Shouldn't be a problem for His Yugeness to dispatch these ankle biters with a flick of his finger, so what's he waiting for already?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 01:04:47 am »
Does Trump think he can whine his way to winning the election?  The rules are the rules.  And this is the thing that gets me... When he is saying if they steal the nomination from me....  You haven't won yet so there isn't anything to steal.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 01:08:47 am »
Does Trump think he can whine his way to winning the election?  The rules are the rules.  And this is the thing that gets me... When he is saying if they steal the nomination from me....  You haven't won yet so there isn't anything to steal.

Trump is about blaming somebody else. It's what narcissists do. Obama does it.  Trump does it.

Something good happens, it's all his.  Something bad, it's somebody else's fault.

He's laying the predicate for blaming the GOP for taking his nomination from him, if he doesn't get it. 

A Bart Simpson, squared.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 01:10:09 am »
Trump is about blaming somebody else. It's what narcissists do. Obama does it.  Trump does it.

Something good happens, it's all his.  Something bad, it's somebody else's fault.

He's laying the predicate for blaming the GOP for taking his nomination from him, if he doesn't get it. 

A Bart Simpson, squared.

And blaming, someone, anyone, else for everything that ails America is the essence of Trump's political pitch.

A-Lert

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 01:23:04 am »
Sounds like the frat boy dick dominance parade

That's supposed to be intelligent or used to impress?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 01:41:02 am »
That's supposed to be intelligent or used to impress?

It's a play off Trump's own words and style. The yuge winning, slogans, and talk about his own member and all that. He is not exactly running a hothouse orchid high society mensa campaign here.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 01:46:46 am »

LOL ^-^

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 01:49:24 am »
It's a play off Trump's own words and style. The yuge winning, slogans, and talk about his own member and all that. He is not exactly running a hothouse orchid high society mensa campaign here.

His detractors are even worse.