Author Topic: Donald Trump’s Surprisingly Progressive Past  (Read 308 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Donald Trump’s Surprisingly Progressive Past
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »
Donald Trump’s Surprisingly Progressive Past

by ISAAC COHEN   July 10, 2015 5:30 PM

onald Trump says he’s running for president because he wants to “make America great again.” That he’s chosen to run as a Republican is puzzling: As we here at National Review have often pointed out, all of the hubbub over Trump’s newfound embrace of populist, rightist rhetoric tends to conceal his many progressive stances. Here, then, a refresher course on what The Donald actually believes:

ABORTION

In early 2015, Trump said, “I’m pro-life and I have been pro-life. It’s an issue and a strong issue.” In 1999, however, he told Fox News that he was “totally pro-choice,” and that abortion was a “personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors.” Of course, flip-flopping isn’t always bad, as long as you do it for the right reasons, but Trump has wavered in the past on whether the Constitution contains a “right to privacy” in the context of abortion. This ought to give committed pro-lifers pause, at the very least.

HEALTH CARE

Fifteen years ago, on the subject of single-payer health care, Trump wrote that he was “a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one.” He argued that America needed to “reexamine the single-payer plan, as many individual states are doing,” and “improve on the prototype” of the Canadian single-payer system. Vermont, for one, took Trump’s advice and, in 2014, returned the verdict: “tax increases too big for the state to absorb.”

SOCIAL SECURITY

Many potential presidential candidates on the right — Scott Walker, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, et al. — have spoken about the need to cut out-of-control spending on entitlement programs such as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. In April, asked why he didn’t support any cuts to these programs, Trump responded that “even tea-party people don’t like” the idea and that the real problem in America was the loss of “manufacturing jobs to China.” He said that he was “gonna make us rich again” so that we wouldn’t “have to” cut entitlement spending.

TAXES

Trump may refuse to cut spending on entitlements, but he also knows that Social Security is approaching insolvency. In 2000, he proposed a solution: “a one-time 14.25 percent tax on individuals and trusts with a net worth over $10 million.” Such a large sum might have paid down the whole national debt in 2000, but today it wouldn’t make much of a dent, and certainly wouldn’t leave any extra cash to sustain the Social Security Trust Fund. Perhaps even more important, a one-time wealth tax would set a terrible precedent: Few policy prescriptions stay “one-time” for long, especially taxes.

FREE TRADE

Trump is as big an opponent of free trade as Bernie Sanders is today. Trump has said that he’d “love to have a trade war with China,” and has argued that the Trans-Pacific Partnership “is an attack on American businesses.”

PROPERTY RIGHTS

The Fifth Amendment allows for “eminent domain,” a procedure by which the government make take private property for “public use” as long as “just compensation” is provided. June marked the tenth anniversary of the Kelo decision, in which, as Robert VerBruggen puts it, the Supreme Court held that “public use” could include, well, private use, so long as the new property owner paid more in taxes than the previous one. In other words, it allowed developers and the government to gang up on homeowners. The developer gets more land, the government gets more tax money. The only losers are the original owner and his property rights. In 2005, when Kelo was decided, Donald Trump told Fox News that he happened to “agree with [the decision] 100 percent.” A genuine conservative would have more regard for private property rights. In his campaign announcement speech, Trump sang a populist tune: “Nobody would be tougher on ISIS.” He’d “stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons.” He would “immediately terminate President Obama’s illegal executive order on immigration” and “fully support and back up the Second Amendment.” He said that “Common Core is a disaster,” that “education has to be local,” and that Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security have to be “saved without cuts.” Some of these claims are reasonable; others are ridiculous. But the reality is that it’s nearly impossible to know what Trump believes. He’s reversed himself on abortion, advocated for single-payer health care, supported one-time wealth taxes, vouched for auto bailouts, backed a ban on assault weapons, and opposed free trade. Does that sound like the kind of consistent conservatism the GOP needs?

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421043/donald-trump-progressive-issues?target=topic&tid=1707
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Donald Trump’s Surprisingly Progressive Past
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:47 pm »
Tricky Dick, meet Tricky Don. Old is new again. Bring back the Old Establishment, to replace the New Establishment that is the heir to the Old Establishment. The best sellers trick in the world - pitch old crap as the new gold.

The ironies here are too many to list.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »
Tricky Dick, meet Tricky Don. Old is new again. Bring back the Old Establishment, to replace the New Establishment that is the heir to the Old Establishment. The best sellers trick in the world - pitch old crap as the new gold.

The ironies here are too many to list.

:amen:  :thumbsup:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:55 pm »
Surprising? Not really.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:26:29 pm »
If conservatives can hold his feet to the fire on Supreme Court nominations, I think I can accept the man's other flaws.   As the race seems to be coming down to Rubio or Trump, I am inclined to go with Trump.  I see Rubio as neo-con through and through, plus I think Rubio is still a bit wet behind the ears to be POTUS.  I don't see a path for Cruz unless Trump implodes, and that is very unlikely, even if (as he says) he shot someone dead in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »
Donald Trump will have to disclose his net worth and earnings from Trump University, judge rules

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/donald-trump-reveal-net-worth-judge-rules-article-1.2280019

- J. R. R. Tolkien