Author Topic: WV House of Delegates passes Workplace Freedom Act (Right to Work)  (Read 1657 times)

Offline mountaineer

House of Delegates Passes Workplace Freedom Act
West Virginia On Path To Be 26th Right To Work State

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia Republican Party Chairman Conrad Lucas issued this statement on the House of Delegates' passage of SB 1, to make West Virginia a Right To Work state:

"Today, West Virginia Republicans kept another promise from our platform. Members of the House of Delegates chose to make West Virginia a Right To Work state and this bill will likely go to the Governor. That means workplace freedom. Being a member of a union can no longer be held as a condition of employment.

The power to make professional decisions now rests with the individual, not a union or a labor contract that might have been negotiated decades ago. Ending closed shops set free the economies of many of our southern neighbors, like the Carolinas. Most recently, Indiana and Michigan have made the same choice to revitalize industrial jobs and grow their economies.

West Virginia needs to take every step necessary to grow our economy and Republican leadership has again delivered on a promise to advance our Comeback Story.

This was hard work, with voter input and pressure on all sides of this issue at all-time highs. We credit our Speaker Tim Armstead, Senate President Bill Cole and their leadership teams for shepherding this legislation through to the finish line and giving West Virginia's economy a fighting chance."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: WV House of Delegates passes Workplace Freedom Act (Right to Work)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:57 pm »
Right to work passes House 54-46
By Jeff Jenkins in News | February 04, 2016 at 4:33PM

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — West Virginia is on its way to becoming one of the more than two dozen states that have a right to work law following a marathon debate and a close vote Thursday afternoon in the House of Delegates that mainly focused on the labor movement and its future.

The House approved the bill (SB 1) called the West Virginia Workplace Freedom Act on a 54-46 vote following nearly five hours of debate.

The bill reads “a person may not be required as a condition or continuation of employment to 1) become or remain a member of a labor organization, 2) pay any dues, fees, assessments or similar charges, however denominated of any kind or amount to any labor organization, 3) to pay any charity or third party in lieu of those payments any amount that is equivalent to dues, assessments or other charges required of members of a labor organization.”

Violation of the provisions could result in criminal penalty against the employer; conviction carries a fine from $500 to $5,000.

The debate was long and emotional with House Speaker Tim Armstead (R-Kanawha) pounding his gavel several times admonishing the pro-union crowd in the chamber gallery to come to order.

Much of the debate was spent with delegates sharing personal stories.

Del. Amy Summers (R-Taylor) told a story about a nurse who crossed the picket line at a hospital to help a pregnant woman. She said the union there retaliated against the worker. She said that nurse should have had a choice.

“As a nurse it is our joy and professional duty to care for people. Why in this day and age should we have to pay dues to a union that does not share the same values as we do?” Summers asked.

Most of the opponents of the bill questioned the need for the legislation.

“We’re passing bills that are wanted. They’re not needed but they’re wanted,” Del. Nancy Guthrie (D-Kanawha) said. “I don’t want them. I think this Democratic minority doesn’t want them either.”

The debate turned personal and political.

“There is a difference between politics and policy,” Del. Justin Marcum (D-Mingo) said. “This is politics. This ain’t policy.”

But proponents argued unions, which make up 10 percent of the state’s workforce will survive, but the bill is about giving workers a choice.

“Let’s trust these people. Let’s trust these people to make the right decision for them and their families,” Del. Michael Ihle (R-Jackson) said.

Del. Shawn Fluharty (D-Wheeling) said the unions have fought long and hard for what they have and it shouldn’t be taken away,

“You deserve the right to earn a living. You deserve the right to collectively bargain. You deserve to have a chance and a voice and we should not be taking it from you,” Fluharty said.

One only needs to look at job losses in the state over the years, House Judiciary Committee Chair John Shott (R-Mercer) said.

“We have to change. We are going down the tubes fast,” Shott said.

The House made a change to the Senate’s bill so before it goes to the governor the Senate would have to agree to the changes. Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin has already said he’ll veto the bill, releasing a statement early Thursday evening.

“I remain committed to growing West Virginia’s economy, but I do not believe right-to-work legislation is the best way to do that. We can continue to improve our state’s business climate by strengthening our workforce, combating substance abuse and creating new sites for development, all of which continue to be his top priorities in the coming year. I have submitted proposals to address these issues, and I urge the Legislature to consider them during the session,” the governor said. “I will veto the legislation passed today, which received bipartisan opposition but only partisan support.”

WV Metro News
 The legislature would likely have enough time this session to take an override vote.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:18:04 am »
West Virginia turning red?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58:00 am »
WV has been turning red in recent years. Last few presidential races went for the Republican. All 3 US reps are GOP, one of the two US senators, Repubs control both houses of Legislature (for now). Now we need a Repub governor!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:35:30 am »
WV has been turning red in recent years. Last few presidential races went for the Republican. All 3 US reps are GOP, one of the two US senators, Repubs control both houses of Legislature (for now). Now we need a Repub governor!

Congratulations!  We finally got a Republican governor (Matt Bevin) here in Kentucky! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:41:38 am »
Excellent move!

I'm sure the union bosses aren't to happy tonight!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:26 am »

Doesn't look like the veto can be overridden.  Correct?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:33 am »
I'll have to see how many votes are needed to override a veto. The Republican margin in both houses is slim.