Author Topic: Saudi says US well aware of Iran 'mischief'  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

Saudi says US well aware of Iran 'mischief'
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »
Saudi says US well aware of Iran 'mischief'

Saudi Arabia on Saturday said it does not see a "coming together" of Iran and the United States, which is well aware of Tehran's regional "mischief".

Saudi Arabia on Saturday said it does not see a "coming together" of Iran and the United States, which is well aware of Tehran's regional "mischief". The kingdom and its Gulf neighbours perceive a lack of engagement from their traditional ally Washington, particularly in the face of what they see as Iran's "interference" in Yemen, Syria, Lebanon and elsewhere. Those feelings crystallised...
Author AFP Posted January 23, 2016 11:35 GMT

The kingdom and its Gulf neighbours perceive a lack of engagement from their traditional ally Washington, particularly in the face of what they see as Iran's "interference" in Yemen, Syria, Lebanon and elsewhere.

Those feelings crystallised with a historic international deal -- backed by the United States and five other major powers -- which this month lifted crippling economic sanctions on Iran in return for a scaling back of its nuclear capabilities.

"No, I don't see a coming together of the United States and Iran. Iran remains the world's chief sponsor of terrorism," Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said at a joint news conference with US Secretary of State John Kerry.

"Overall I think the United States is very aware of the danger of Iran's mischief and nefarious activities... I don't believe the United States is under any illusion as to what type of government Iran is," he said.

Kerry and Jubeir spoke after they attended a meeting of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council.

The top US diplomat said his country "remains concerned about some of the activities that Iran is engaged in in other countries".

This includes Iran's "support for terrorist groups like Hezbollah" in Lebanon.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse//sites/almonitor/contents/afp/2016/01/saudi-us-diplomacy-iran-minister.html#ixzz3y4osSQIL