Author Topic: Donald Trump leads in the polls, but Ted Cruz looks more like the favorite  (Read 1206 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/09/fact-ted-cruz-is-in-the-catbirds-seat-to-win-the-republican-nomination/

By Chris Cillizza December 9 at 2:28 PM

The Iowa caucuses are 54 days away. Donald Trump is, still, the national front-runner. Marco Rubio is, now, the establishment's best (only?) hope. And Ted Cruz is the guy who looks best positioned to win.

Yes, you heard that right.

Ted Cruz, as of today, has the most direct route to the Republican presidential nomination -- assuming the past history of Republican nomination fights works as a broad predictor of where this race is headed.

Let me elaborate.

1. Cruz is positioned as the most conservative candidate in the race.  While Trump gets all of the attention for his over-the-top statements, Cruz has staked out a position on the far right on virtually every major hot button issue -- from immigration to Obamacare to national security and the fight with ISIS.  And, tonally, Cruz comes across as aggressively and unapologetically conservative -- a less controversial and unelectable version of Trump.

A Washington Post-ABC News November poll showed that Cruz's numbers are in the stratosphere with voters who identify themselves as "very" conservative; 69 percent had a favorable opinion of him while just 21 percent regard Cruz in an unfavorable light.

In a Republican primary -- particularly one in which the GOP electorate is mad at hell at everyone (including those in their own party) for an alleged lack of commitment to conservative principles -- being the guy all the way on the ideological right is a very, very good thing.

2. Cruz has raised the second most money in the race.  Yes, Jeb Bush is far and away the fundraising leader in the race. Not only did we know that would be the case but we also now know that it has done him, roughly, zero good.  But, what most people didn't expect and/or don't know is that Cruz has raised the second most cash among Republicans running in 2016.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Donald Trump leads in the polls, but Ted Cruz looks more like the favorite
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »

I certainly can live with the thought of a president Ted Cruz. In fact, for regular Americans Ted Cruz has the potential to be a great president (though liberals would scream like banshees).

However, I think liberals would muddy the waters over his citizenship enough to possibly derail him in the general. That concerns me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 01:51:38 pm »
I certainly can live with the thought of a president Ted Cruz. In fact, for regular Americans Ted Cruz has the potential to be a great president (though liberals would scream like banshees).

However, I think liberals would muddy the waters over his citizenship enough to possibly derail him in the general. That concerns me.

I fully intend to cast my vote for Ted Cruz in the primary as does everyone else in my household.  He will be our next president and a damned good one at that! In fact I believe him to be our last best hope at saving and reviving this once great republic!

Liberals in general have no idea about what the constitution says about anything and certianly have no leg to stand on with regard to the issue you raise given what THEY have given us for the last seven years!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »
I sure hope so.

I tremble at the idea that I will have only two liberals to choose from when election day comes.......   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
So Cruz is who the GOPe is going to use to try to take down Our Donald, The Other One, next? (copyright 2015, FR)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:28:41 pm »

I have thought about that, I'm waiting for that to come up now.  However, Trump is keeping them plenty busy at the time.  Thanks Donald!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 02:29:30 pm »
So Cruz is who the GOPe is going to use to try to take down Our Donald, The Other One, next? (copyright 2015, FR)

Not going to happen.  The GOPe probably hates Cruz more than Trump.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »

Boy, this is a tough call  ^-^

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 03:46:03 pm »
The nominee, Trump, Cruz or another NEEDS all of the votes from people that posters refer to as establishment, with derogatory tones.

That means the Chambers of Commerce, which represent tens of thousands of SMALL businesses, where millions of people WORK, as examples.

Such derision is counter productive. Splitting the center-right is counter productive. It only gives merry little bands of infantile "me too, me too" folks to echo each other, as hobby.

If they really wanted to do something constructive, they would be involved stopping developers from chrony relationships with people like Trump, stealing land from small family owners, etc.

But sitting all day by a computer, is far more simple, distant, anonymous, risk free etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »

Correct Liberty BUT that is PRICELESS they cannot stand TRUMP BUT hate #2 CRUZ. Luv it :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 07:05:42 pm »

Now, where did you get that?