Author Topic: Ted Cruz Scolds Harry Reid, Dems on Senate Floor After Objection to Unanimous Consent on ‘Kate’s Law’  (Read 535 times)

rangerrebew

Ted Cruz Scolds Harry Reid, Dems on Senate Floor After Objection to Unanimous Consent on ‘Kate’s Law’
Nov. 4, 2015 2:03pm Jason Howerton   

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) sternly scolded Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on the Senate floor Wednesday after the Democrat objected to his motion for unanimous consent on “Kate’s Law,” which would implement mandatory minimum sentences for illegal immigrant felons.

Reid argued that the mandatory minimum sentencing of criminal illegal aliens would have dire monetary consequences due to the increase in people incarcerated in America’s jails.

In response, Cruz delivered an excoriating attack on Democrats.

“I’m sorry that the Democratic party doesn’t want to spend the money to lock up murderers, and instead, apparently, it’s cheaper to lose our sons and daughters. I think we have the resources to lock up murderers.”

Cruz also accused Reid of suggesting illegal immigrant criminals and all other immigrants shoudl be “lumped into the same bucket.”

“When the Democratic leader suggests that incarcerating aggravated felons, murderers and rapists who illegally re-enter this country is somehow a slight to immigrants — well…I am the son of an immigrant who came legally from Cuba,” Cruz said. “There is no one in this chamber who will stand and fight harder for legal immigrants than I will.”

Cruz called for unanimous consent on Kate’s Law after reintroducing the bill in the Senate following the Democrats recent blockage of the legislation. The law is named after Kate Steinle, who was gunned down by an illegal immigrant felon who avoided federal law enforcement due to San Francisco’s “sanctuary city” status.

The law only targets “aggravated” illegal immigrant felons, not all immigrants as some Democrats have suggested, Cruz said.

“Every Democrat that stands up and block’s Kate’s Law needs to be prepared to explain why standing with violent criminal illegal aliens is more important than protecting American citizens,” the GOP presidential candidate said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/04/ted-cruz-scolds-harry-reid-dems-on-senate-floor-after-objection-to-unanimous-consent-on-kates-law/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:58:51 am by rangerrebew »

Offline libertybele

Go Ted! I love the fact that he is signaling out the DEMS and stating what he will do instead.  That's is the message that the American people need to hear.  They need to be told why conservatism will work. 

“I’m sorry that the Democratic party doesn’t want to spend the money to lock up murderers, and instead, apparently, it’s cheaper to lose our sons and daughters. I think we have the resources to lock up murderers.”

Cruz also accused Reid of suggesting illegal immigrant criminals and all other immigrants shoudl be “lumped into the same bucket.”

“When the Democratic leader suggests that incarcerating aggravated felons, murderers and rapists who illegally re-enter this country is somehow a slight to immigrants — well…I am the son of an immigrant who came legally from Cuba,” Cruz said. “There is no one in this chamber who will stand and fight harder for legal immigrants than I will.”

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Hammer the conniving bastards, Ted!  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Yep. Speakin' truth to power.

So Cruz doesn't get invited to DC's cocktail circuit. Good on him. He's a hero in my book and welcome to share a cup of grog anytime he's in NYC.

Offline libertybele

"In the Senate, I've tried to do two things: Tell the truth, and do what I said I would do.  We should expect that from
every single elected official".
    - Ted Cruz

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Doing on the job exatly what he said he would whil applying for it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"In the Senate, I've tried to do two things: Tell the truth, and do what I said I would do.  We should expect that from
every single elected official".
    - Ted Cruz

He's right! We should indeed expect that! DEMAND it even!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

So Cruz doesn't get invited to DC's cocktail circuit. Good on him. He's a hero in my book and welcome to share a cup of grog anytime he's in NYC.

I was hard on him during the shutdown period because I thought it was counterproductive and basically grandstanding.  Since he's announced, though, wow is he an impressive candidate.  I think he's coming into his own, and reading between the lines after listening to a Trump interview yesterday, I think The Donald really respects Ted, and would likely endorse him if Trump decides he ultimately doesn't want to continue.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

I was hard on him during the shutdown period because I thought it was counterproductive and basically grandstanding.  Since he's announced, though, wow is he an impressive candidate.  I think he's coming into his own, and reading between the lines after listening to a Trump interview yesterday, I think The Donald really respects Ted, and would likely endorse him if Trump decides he ultimately doesn't want to continue.

If Trump thought Cruz had a chance to dethrone him, as Rubio and Carson are doing, he'd trash Cruz just like he trashes those two.  Trump builds himself up by tearing others down. 

Or, maybe not, as Cruz has signaled he will not criticize Trump or take him on cuz he's wanting Trump's sloppy seconds if Trump craters.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:37:49 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Paladin

What a helluva statement: "Reid argued that the mandatory minimum sentencing of criminal illegal aliens would have dire monetary consequences due to the increase in people incarcerated in America’s jails."

If I am not mistaken Kate's Law imposes a mandatory sentence if an illegal alien returns and commits yet another felony. Reid thinks imprisoning such people is a bad idea due to cost? Btw, since when has any Dem, particularly Reid, given a flip about how much something the government does cost?

Also, as I understand it, one of the strongest voices for Kate's Law, Bill O'Reilly, is furious with Reid for blocking its adoption and intends to use his considerable pulpit to blast that total fraud.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline musiclady

Amen!  There need to be dozens more of him.

(Can Ted be cloned???)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.