Author Topic: 50 States, 50 Pizzas - Zagat lists the best pizza in each state in the USA  (Read 2997 times)

Offline mountaineer

50 States, 50 Pizzas
By Zagat Staff | October 26, 2015

Alabama: Margherita at Post Office Pies in Birmingham

Handmade pizza at Post Office Pies is just one of the many culinary treats found in Birmingham's scrappy Avondale neighborhood. While you're welcome to build your own pie, start off with the Margherita (9" $11; 12" $13) for an intro to the fresh ingredients Post Office relies on. The mozzarella cheese is made in-house, and cherry tomatoes are roasted until sweet and bursting. Fresh basil brightens things up. Look for a Tuscaloosa location of the pizzeria to open this fall.
209 41st St. S., Birmingham; 205-599-9900

Alaska: Mushroom & Thyme at Finn's Pizza in Homer

The fact that a pizza joint thrives in tiny Homer, dubbed the world’s halibut fishing capital, is a delicious surprise. Open June through September, Finn’s is the brainchild of Sasha Raupp and Bjorn Larson, who embrace ingredients grown from local farms. Demolish the Mushroom & Thyme pie — in which the fresh herb mingles with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella and crimini mushrooms — while perched out on the deck or in the upstairs solarium. A craft beer on tap washes it all down.
4287 Homer Spit Rd., Homer; 907-235-2878

Arizona: Wiseguy at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix and Tucson

Since setting up shop in 1988 in the back of a grocery store, this Phoenix-based pizzeria has garnered national acclaim for its superlative pies. Now with multiple locations, owner-founder Chris Bianco, a 2003 James Beard Award–winner for Best Chef: Southwest, has made this pizzeria pilgrimage-list worthy. For a proper introduction, try the Wiseguy— a rustic white pie topped with fennel sauce, caramelized onions and smoked mozzarella.

4743 N. 20th St., Phoenix; 602-368-3273
623 E. Adams St., Phoenix; 602-258-8300
4404 N. Central Ave., Phoenix; 602-234-2011
272 E. Congress St., Tucson; 520-838-0818

Arkansas: Clean the Floor at Iriana's Pizza in Little Rock

Since 1987, John Iriana has been feeding Little Rock's need for quality pizzas from a brick oven. Things are kept super simple in the local-art-filled restaurant with just two sizes of pies and an emphasis on design-your-own. Of the scant four specialty pizzas on the menu, the Clean the Floor ($18.95 for a large) is a best bet for the undecided. This classic "everything" pizza has pepperoni, Canadian bacon, sausage, green peppers, onions, black olives and mushrooms. Pop in during weekday lunch and grab a slice of this for just $3.19.
201 E. Markham St., Little Rock; 501-374-3656

California: Cal-Italia at Slice House by Tony Gemignani in San Francisco

The newest outpost in eleven-time World Pizza Champion Tony Gemignani’s pizza empire is on its way to coining a new California-style pizza with an artisanal ancient grains crust, featuring a signature blend of spelt, semolina, sprouted grain and whole wheat flours, and farm-fresh toppings. A must-order is the Cal-Italia, a sauceless pie featuring Gorgonzola, fig preserves, prosciutto and balsamic.

680 Second St., San Francisco; 415-872-9680   ...

Check out your state's best (allegedly) here. Feel free to offer your own reviews.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: 50 States, 50 Pizzas - Zagat lists the best pizza in each state in the USA
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:41:11 pm »
Now, this is useful information!  Seriously.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »
Nothing but a "click whore" site.

Totally useless.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »
Pages through the states nicely without refreshing all the ads.  Not a nasty click-bait site, in my view.  I always hate those because of my interest to Wisconsin and it takes scrolling through everything but Wyoming.  They never let you work backwards.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:22:57 pm »
I would have to give runner up status in Louisiana to Johnny's Sweep the Swamp pizza. Crawfish, Alligator, Andoullie Sausage, and in Baton Rouge you can even add fried softshell crab to it depending on the season.

I'm really surprised Illinois didn't get recognized for one of her deep dishes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:23:53 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:39:51 pm »
I'm really surprised Illinois didn't get recognized for one of her deep dishes.
Yes, I also noticed that. I suspect this list reflects certain biases of its writers. Personally, I don't like deep dish - unless I'm in Chicago!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:40:12 pm »

Totally useless.
Thanks for your input. Just trying to have some fun here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:40:43 pm by mountaineer »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:50:51 pm »
Yuck.  Buffalo wings on pizza in Austin?  Naturally, the lefties in Moscow-on-the-Brazos have no idea that pizza originated in Italy, and Italian pizza is Neapolitan.  The best Neapolitan pizza in the state is at Cane Rosso in Dallas and Fort Worth, using Italian pizza dough, cooked in a brick oven for only 2 minutes.  Thin crust, few ingredients, exactly like one would find in the finest little pizzeria in Rome.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:53:32 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:52:43 pm »

Totally useless.

You defend Trump so much you're turning into Trump!!

Zagat is highly respected.  Sucks in their pizza selections, but, hey, everybody likes what they like or there'd be only one type of pizza in the world.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:53:01 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:57:59 pm »
Next time I am in Milwaukee, gotta give it a go!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:06:28 am »
Italian pizza is Neapolitan.  The best Neapolitan pizza in the state is at Cane Rosso in Dallas and Fort Worth, using Italian pizza dough, cooked in a brick oven for only 2 minutes.  Thin crust, few ingredients, exactly like one would find in the finest little pizzeria in Rome.
That's the way I like it!  :laugh:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 01:00:56 am »
Thanks for your input. Just trying to have some fun here.

Maybe D.C. just doesn't like pizza.   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 01:07:10 am »
Yes, I also noticed that. I suspect this list reflects certain biases of its writers. Personally, I don't like deep dish - unless I'm in Chicago!

I've noticed Deep Dish really doesn't exist outside the Chicago area. What everyone else calls deep dish just isn't the same. One of the few things I like about Chi town is the food. That's something they can do right.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 01:14:20 am »

Totally useless.
Zagat is one of the most trusted food critic publications in America. Now, it's not quite the behemoth it used to be (Google apparently bought it a few years back) but it is a reputable name and certainly not simply clickbait.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 04:34:47 am »
Honey on a frickin' New York Pizza? I don't think so. this is a list for uptown poseurs. not pizza afficianados.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 04:40:18 am »
Zagat is one of the most trusted food critic publications in America. Now, it's not quite the behemoth it used to be (Google apparently bought it a few years back) but it is a reputable name and certainly not simply clickbait.

I was under the impression you had to click manually on side of the pic to see the next state and so ....50 clicks.

Surprised the headline didn't say, "Wait until you see Utah's!!"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 01:24:08 pm »
The Zagats were neighbors of my sister-in-law in an apartment building somewhere along Central Park West (not sure exactly, I didn't know her back then and she's since moved to NJ). They started their restaurant reviews as a one-page thing they passed around to friends. Eventually, it grew into the enterprise it is today.

Offline evadR

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »
YIKES! No mention of Ledo's Pizza in Maryland.
Best pizza anywhere.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 02:28:26 pm »

Everyone claims "best pizza" anywhere. Fact is pizza is sublimely simple to prepare and delicious when done right. Whether you're in Montana, New York or the deep South.

My favorite was (until they sold out) Ciccio's on Avenue U in Brooklyn. They made the Sofia Loren. Fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, crust to-die-for. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Incidentally, the new owners haven't figured out the secret to a spectacular slice of pizza. 😟

Offline evadR

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 07:45:03 pm »
Everyone claims "best pizza" anywhere. Fact is pizza is sublimely simple to prepare and delicious when done right. Whether you're in Montana, New York or the deep South.

My favorite was (until they sold out) Ciccio's on Avenue U in Brooklyn. They made the Sofia Loren. Fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, crust to-die-for. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

Incidentally, the new owners haven't figured out the secret to a spectacular slice of pizza. 😟
Maybe they need to talk to Zogby. He uses a "special sauce" in all his polls.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »
http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/about-us/our-story

BJ's may be in your state, but it started on Bristol north of South Coast Plaza in Orange County California (Costa Mesa-Santa Ana).

Deep Dish, and a highly successful business too. Initially called "BJ Grunts," by the way. Check out the pictures of their deep dish pizzas.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 08:14:47 pm »
50 States, 50 Pizzas
By Zagat Staff | October 26, 2015

Alabama: Margherita at Post Office Pies in Birmingham

Handmade pizza at Post Office Pies is just one of the many culinary treats found in Birmingham's scrappy Avondale neighborhood. While you're welcome to build your own pie, start off with the Margherita (9" $11; 12" $13) for an intro to the fresh ingredients Post Office relies on. The mozzarella cheese is made in-house, and cherry tomatoes are roasted until sweet and bursting. Fresh basil brightens things up. Look for a Tuscaloosa location of the pizzeria to open this fall.
209 41st St. S., Birmingham; 205-599-9900

Alaska: Mushroom & Thyme at Finn's Pizza in Homer

The fact that a pizza joint thrives in tiny Homer, dubbed the world’s halibut fishing capital, is a delicious surprise. Open June through September, Finn’s is the brainchild of Sasha Raupp and Bjorn Larson, who embrace ingredients grown from local farms. Demolish the Mushroom & Thyme pie — in which the fresh herb mingles with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella and crimini mushrooms — while perched out on the deck or in the upstairs solarium. A craft beer on tap washes it all down.
4287 Homer Spit Rd., Homer; 907-235-2878

Arizona: Wiseguy at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix and Tucson

Since setting up shop in 1988 in the back of a grocery store, this Phoenix-based pizzeria has garnered national acclaim for its superlative pies. Now with multiple locations, owner-founder Chris Bianco, a 2003 James Beard Award–winner for Best Chef: Southwest, has made this pizzeria pilgrimage-list worthy. For a proper introduction, try the Wiseguy— a rustic white pie topped with fennel sauce, caramelized onions and smoked mozzarella.

4743 N. 20th St., Phoenix; 602-368-3273
623 E. Adams St., Phoenix; 602-258-8300
4404 N. Central Ave., Phoenix; 602-234-2011
272 E. Congress St., Tucson; 520-838-0818

Arkansas: Clean the Floor at Iriana's Pizza in Little Rock

Since 1987, John Iriana has been feeding Little Rock's need for quality pizzas from a brick oven. Things are kept super simple in the local-art-filled restaurant with just two sizes of pies and an emphasis on design-your-own. Of the scant four specialty pizzas on the menu, the Clean the Floor ($18.95 for a large) is a best bet for the undecided. This classic "everything" pizza has pepperoni, Canadian bacon, sausage, green peppers, onions, black olives and mushrooms. Pop in during weekday lunch and grab a slice of this for just $3.19.
201 E. Markham St., Little Rock; 501-374-3656

California: Cal-Italia at Slice House by Tony Gemignani in San Francisco

The newest outpost in eleven-time World Pizza Champion Tony Gemignani’s pizza empire is on its way to coining a new California-style pizza with an artisanal ancient grains crust, featuring a signature blend of spelt, semolina, sprouted grain and whole wheat flours, and farm-fresh toppings. A must-order is the Cal-Italia, a sauceless pie featuring Gorgonzola, fig preserves, prosciutto and balsamic.

680 Second St., San Francisco; 415-872-9680   ...

Check out your state's best (allegedly) here. Feel free to offer your own reviews.
We live in the woods of Idaho. Nearest big city is Lewiston/Clarkston. Hubby loves to call pizza places when they advertise they will deliver anywhere.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:04 am »
NYC - anything that isn't from a national chain.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 03:42:15 am »
Don't remember the name of the restaurant, but the best pizza we ever had was right on the beach overlooking the ocean on the island of St. John, US Virgin Islands.  We watched a gorgeous sunset while we ate a chicken and pesto pizza. 

Of course, the setting might have had something to do with it.  That was sixteen years ago and my husband still talks about it. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 05:49:32 pm »
http://www.bjsrestaurants.com/about-us/our-story

BJ's may be in your state, but it started on Bristol north of South Coast Plaza in Orange County California (Costa Mesa-Santa Ana).

Deep Dish, and a highly successful business too. Initially called "BJ Grunts," by the way. Check out the pictures of their deep dish pizzas.

We have a BJ'S about to open in the next couple of weeks. I'll have to try it.