Author Topic: US government will reportedly require all drone purchases to be registered  (Read 683 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9558383/us-government-will-create-drone-registry

The US government plans to make it a mandatory requirement that all drone purchases, including those made by consumers, be formally registered. NBC News reports that the Department of Transportation will announce the new plan on Monday, with hopes to have this drone registry implemented by the holidays, when drones will likely prove a popular gift. The Obama administration and DoT have yet to announce any such press conference for Monday.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
But of course they must be registered. Can't have people being able to see what is going on!

Fun little side note - our neighbor across the road is a shut in. She's truly ancient now and can't get around much outside the house. She goes for her walk by drone now!  :laugh: Flies it up and down the street a few times to see what's going on every day, and everyone waves to her.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
But of course they must be registered. Can't have people being able to see what is going on!

Fun little side note - our neighbor across the road is a shut in. She's truly ancient now and can't get around much outside the house. She goes for her walk by drone now!  :laugh: Flies it up and down the street a few times to see what's going on every day, and everyone waves to her.  :laugh:

I love that.  What a great idea for a shut-in!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

Good luck with that.

Offline EdinVA

Background checks?
License required?
Must be "sane"?
I can see a whole new branch of 50,000 new federal employees...

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Background checks?
License required?
Must be "sane"?
I can see a whole new branch of 50,000 new federal employees...

By George, I think you've got it!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I've been wanting one. Time to get it while I can before Big Brother cracks down.

The FAA has been really cracking down on commercial use the past year. Technically, to use a drone for commercial use, such as real estate shots or shooting a crowd at an event, it requires a Rule 333 exception. It is almost impossible to get. One party on the filing has to be a registered commercial pilot and has to be on hand at all times when the drone is in use commercially.

Photographers who shoot real estate have found themselves receiving $10K fines (or more) and they lose the privilege (yea) of being able to apply for a 333 excemption in the future.

It is crazy because many of them are staying well below the commonly accepted 400 foot limit.

Offline GourmetDan

Time to get it while I can before Big Brother cracks down.

Do you see how you have already submitted to Big Brother?

You assume that you can only exercise certain liberties as long as 'Big Brother' says you can...

:silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan