Author Topic: Microsoft no longer lets you opt-out of a Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 828 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Microsoft no longer lets you opt-out of a Windows 10 upgrade
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:33:33 pm »
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/15/microsoft-no-longer-lets-you-opt-out-of-a-windows-10-upgrade/

If you haven’t already updated your computer to Windows 10 and it is eligible for a free upgrade, then prepare yourself for more aggressive update notifications that no longer give you the ability to opt-out. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are reporting popups that inform them their Windows 10 upgrade will be installed in one hour. Users have the option to start the process immediately or reschedule it, but there is no longer an option to opt-out of upgrading altogether, ZDNet reports. Not even GWX Control Panel, a third-party tool that allowed Windows users to avoid the upgrade before, is able to sidestep these notifications at present, according to the app’s creator, Josh Mayfield.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Microsoft no longer lets you opt-out of a Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:59 pm »
I like W7 and want to keep it....grrrr
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/15/microsoft-no-longer-lets-you-opt-out-of-a-windows-10-upgrade/

If you haven’t already updated your computer to Windows 10 and it is eligible for a free upgrade, then prepare yourself for more aggressive update notifications that no longer give you the ability to opt-out. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are reporting popups that inform them their Windows 10 upgrade will be installed in one hour. Users have the option to start the process immediately or reschedule it, but there is no longer an option to opt-out of upgrading altogether, ZDNet reports. Not even GWX Control Panel, a third-party tool that allowed Windows users to avoid the upgrade before, is able to sidestep these notifications at present, according to the app’s creator, Josh Mayfield.
Me too, I like this w7

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59:23 pm »
I have yet to see anything like this.

I tried to install Win10 on this machine at least twice, but it failed both times because my internal hard drive is too small to fit the upgrade on and it won't install on my SD card. So, if Windows tries to do it automatically, this could lead to a vicious cycle of headaches.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »
I have a Win 7 Asus laptop, and a couple of years ago I had it repaired. The shop put on Win 7 Ultimate, in place of my own "genuine" version. Not a single problem.........until

......I tried to upgrade to Win 10, which it decided to not do and then since I have been nagged that my Windows is not "genuine."

I guess my solutions include leave it alone, or pay to get a "genuine" copy of some version.

I have another touch laptop which had Win 8.1 and the Win 10 upgrade worked out fine.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:18 am »
I have WIN 10 and it is great.. Also I had no issues with the upgrade at all from 8.1 .
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 01:04:18 am »
I just got a new editing laptop last week with Win 10 and it convinced me to upgrade my other computers. I don't know how much of it is Windows 10 or I bought a gaming computer for photo editing, but it is blazing fast.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 02:28:05 am »
I'm enjoying Windows 10. The upgrade was very easy (it was upgraded from fresh, as a new laptop with 8.1 installed).

I shut off the bandwidth sharing and the spying stuff, and haven't had a problem. Mind, I don't like computers to talk back - I use voice typing for a lot of the writing and that Cortana thing would just get confused.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 03:38:08 am »
I just got a new editing laptop last week with Win 10 and it convinced me to upgrade my other computers. I don't know how much of it is Windows 10 or I bought a gaming computer for photo editing, but it is blazing fast.

Most likely it has more to do with getting a gaming computer.  What did you get, pray tell?  I used to haunt a computer forum and used to know a little about systems like Clevo and Sager.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 08:28:31 pm »
Most likely it has more to do with getting a gaming computer.  What did you get, pray tell?  I used to haunt a computer forum and used to know a little about systems like Clevo and Sager.

MSI Apache Pro. Funny thing is I'm not even a gamer, but gaming computers are really good when you are running Photoshop, Lightroom, and other high use applications at the same time. Not to mention, the Nvidia graphics card have the best, true to life, color rendering.

http://us.msi.com/product/notebook/GE72-Apache-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-960M.html#hero-overview

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:37:43 pm »
MSI Apache Pro. Funny thing is I'm not even a gamer, but gaming computers are really good when you are running Photoshop, Lightroom, and other high use applications at the same time. Not to mention, the Nvidia graphics card have the best, true to life, color rendering.

http://us.msi.com/product/notebook/GE72-Apache-Pro-6th-Gen-GTX-960M.html#hero-overview

I know MSi.  It doesn't surprise me that you get the better performance from a gaming computer; the primary use of resources on a gaming system are graphics processing, so that would work well with photoshop.