Author Topic: GOP Pledge Might Be Donald Trump's 'Political Death Warrant'  (Read 1932 times)

bkepley

GOP Pledge Might Be Donald Trump's 'Political Death Warrant'
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:10 pm »
Leon H. Wolf
RedState

The cable news networks are all breathlessly reporting that after a one-on-one meeting with Reince Priebus, Donald Trump has signed a pledge in which he promises to support the eventual Republican nominee, regardless of who it might be. I am sure that in the corridors of the RNC national headquarters, they are all slapping themselves on the back confident that eventually Trump will fade away and that they have averted a third party disaster.

In the first place, I don’t think they have accomplished any such thing. I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion anymore that Trump will ever fade away – the length of his stay at the top suggests an actual level of staying power rather than a momentary fling. But moreover, if Trump wants to run third party, he will run third party. This pledge will do nothing to stop him from doing so, or from throwing the election to Hillary if he does.

If Trump does decide to run third party, he will not be doing it to win. He will be doing it to make a point. And so, it ultimately won’t matter whether he is excluded from the ballot in states like Ohio, because all he has to do in our increasingly polarized society is cost the Republican nominee a couple states like Virginia and Colorado and Ohio won’t matter.

Second, to the extent that violating the pledge will be used as a political weapon against him, it will be a remarkably ineffective one. Trump’s hardest core of support will not care one iota that he has violated a promise to Reince Priebus. In fact, they will see it as a feature, rather than a bug.

More here: http://www.redstate.com/2015/09/03/trump-signs-loyalty-pledge/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: GOP Pledge Might Be Donald Trump's 'Political Death Warrant'
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:32:08 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trump-gop-pledge/2015/09/03/id/673414/

GOP Pledge Might Be Donald Trump's 'Political Death Warrant'

Thursday, 03 Sep 2015 12:14 PM

The GOP has finally muscled its maverick front-runner, Donald Trump, into submission.

A Trump adviser said on Thursday the billionaire has agreed to sign the Republican “loyalty pledge” he famously refused at the first debate in Cleveland last month, apparently ruling out a scenario that utterly terrified the GOP establishment: that Trump would launch a third-party bid and almost certainly deny Republicans the White House. With the stroke of a pen, Trump will put these fears to rest—and immeasurably weaken his own standing. He’s probably signing his political death warrant.

The adviser gave four reasons for why Trump decided to sign the pledge:

* He’s leading in the polls, so there’s no harm. It might even help him.

* This will deprive opponents like former Florida Governor Jeb Bush of an obvious line of attack: that Trump’s only in the race for his own aggrandizement.

* This inoculates Trump against his own history of supporting liberal candidates and policies. He can say, “Look, I signed the Republican pledge.”

* This ratifies Trump’s “alpha male” status because Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus was set to come to Trump Tower with the pledge, rather than the other way around.

But signing the pledge is unlikely to accomplish any of the first three things, and the fourth is immaterial to anyone but Trump. There are a number of other reasons why it will hurt him.

First, it shatters the independent image that is the key to Trump’s appeal, the idea that he isn’t beholden to anyone or anything, and will make a “great” president precisely because of this. Recall that Trump gave the Fox News moderators a giant middle finger when they opened the Cleveland debate by asking him to pledge his fealty to the Republican Party. Trump refused and, as he will happily inform you, still won that debate going away.

Second, rather than quiet the attacks against him, this gives the GOP license to amplify them tremendously without fear of repercussion down the road. A Trump third-party bid, if perhaps unlikely, was a possibility that Priebus had to take seriously. He doesn’t anymore. Everyone can, and probably will, start whaling away on Trump, secure in the knowledge that when he slips from first place he won’t have an obvious recourse for revenge. And before someone pops up to say, “Trump could change his mind and run anyway!”—no, he couldn’t. He’d have a tough time getting on the ballot, and he’d look like a sore loser.

Third, by signing the Republican pledge, Trump invites everyone to judge him by that standard. But it's not a standard that favors him. Trump espouses all sorts of Republican apostasies, from supporting higher taxes on hedge fund managers to opposing cuts to Medicare and Social Security. Until now, his political image was that of someone larger than either party, who had some appealingly heterodox views. After today, he’ll be easier to attack as a Republican who won’t get with the program.

Finally, Trump seems not to understand the dynamics of the Republican primary process. The fact that he’s leading in the polls, while plainly gratifying to his ego, doesn’t mean very much. Anti-Trump sentiment among GOP voters is actually quite strong. The reason this isn’t more obvious is that it’s spread among the 16 other candidates (well, maybe 15—has science located a living, breathing Jim Gilmore supporter yet?). At some still-to-be-determined point in the future, when candidates begin dropping out and the field narrows, Trump’s 22 or 23 percent support will no longer be sufficient to put him in first place.

At that point he’s stuck. He can’t broaden his appeal. He can’t run as an independent. And because he signed the Republican pledge, he’ll be expected to act like a good Republican and get behind the nominee. He can throw a tantrum, if he likes. But all that will do is cost him a speaking slot at the convention. Which, if you’re Reince Priebus, was part of the plan all along.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:35:05 pm »
The GOP has finally muscled its maverick front-runner, Donald Trump, into submission.

Stopped reading there figuring the rest is BS too.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »

Stopped reading there figuring the rest is BS too.
Yepper!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »
Yepper!

I hope there is more to it BUT the DONALD just got TRUMPED by the RINOGOP. They will throw him under the bus as soon as they can. all this talk about treating him fair is BS. He could have put the KILL to the RINOGOP. He had them down and let them up. Good DAY to be a RINGOP member. The ONLY real threat has just been equalized to another has been. :banghead:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:45 pm »
I hope there is more to it BUT the DONALD just got TRUMPED by the RINOGOP. They will throw him under the bus as soon as they can. all this talk about treating him fair is BS. He could have put the KILL to the RINOGOP. He had them down and let them up. Good DAY to be a RINGOP member. The ONLY real threat has just been equalized to another has been. :banghead:

:facepalm2:

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:47 pm »
How is it a cave? I think I know, but him not running 3rd party is important. The jury is still out whether or not he will stay in the race. Yet if he is the nominee, so far my vote will be for him.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:55:40 pm »
It will help, because it removes a bogus issue and a distraction. It also makes Trump look like less of a loose cannon, which will provide reassurance for many fence sitters.

Godzilla

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:12 pm »
This doesn't mean anything.

For Trump will break the agreement should he so chose.  (IE: If he doesn't get the nomination and thinks he should be President.)

After all, what enforcement mechanism is there in this 'agreement'?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:54:07 pm »
This doesn't mean anything.

For Trump will break the agreement should he so chose.  (IE: If he doesn't get the nomination and thinks he should be President.)

After all, what enforcement mechanism is there in this 'agreement'?

Well if he is on the Ballot on the states with the sore losers laws he can't be on the ballot with a different party or as an independent..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:11:09 am »
flowers wrote above:
[[ It will help, because it removes a bogus issue and a distraction. It also makes Trump look like less of a loose cannon, which will provide reassurance for many fence sitters. ]]

Trump will still run his "3rd-party outsider" campaign as a "loose cannon".

I doubt he would sign anything that limited what he could say, or that forced him to get GOPe approval before saying so.

He can continue to be the bull in the Pubbie china shop for now, and have a rip-roarin' good time whilst doing so.

And then -- if he goes so far as to actually win the nomination -- the Republican GOPe will be the ones who are forced -- FORCED -- to support him in the general election.

Might not be a bad deal for Mr. Trump after all...

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:29 am »
I swear, the more this farce goes on, the more convinced I become that Trump is a liberal troll, intentionally trying to make the GOP look like a den of tinfoil hat kooks.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 01:23:52 am »
flowers wrote above:
[[ It will help, because it removes a bogus issue and a distraction. It also makes Trump look like less of a loose cannon, which will provide reassurance for many fence sitters. ]]

Trump will still run his "3rd-party outsider" campaign as a "loose cannon".

I doubt he would sign anything that limited what he could say, or that forced him to get GOPe approval before saying so.

He can continue to be the bull in the Pubbie china shop for now, and have a rip-roarin' good time whilst doing so.

And then -- if he goes so far as to actually win the nomination -- the Republican GOPe will be the ones who are forced -- FORCED -- to support him in the general election.

Might not be a bad deal for Mr. Trump after all...

I must say I agree.  This has to make Bush, Christie and Graham a lot more nervous than Trump.  Anyone would have to put the odds of Trump getting the nomination higher than the three of them put together.  They are the ones who ought to be nervous, especially after the way Trump skewered Bush today in that press conference.

Trump's negatives keep going down, and his positives keep going up.  I think he is starting to look and act more conventional as he realizes he has hit a ceiling with the nativist populism.  So signing the pledge is an obvious move to reassure people who might like him but remain on the fence.

I think it was a smart move, even though I'd have played it differently (I'd have gone ahead and let SC have its primary without me and screamed bloody murder about the establishment and the special interests trying to rig the system against the voters).

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 06:13:29 am »
Flip flop #38