Author Topic: Democrat Jim Webb Opposes Iran Deal: ‘We Need to Put Country Ahead of Party’  (Read 1048 times)

rangerrebew

Democrat Jim Webb Opposes Iran Deal: ‘We Need to Put Country Ahead of Party’

(CNSNews.com) – Democratic presidential hopeful Jim Webb on Sunday criticized those in his party who have attacked Democratic lawmakers like Sen. Chuck Schumer for saying they will vote against the Iran nuclear agreement.

Reiterating his own opposition to what he described as “a bad deal” with Iran, the former Virginia senator said politicians should put the United States ahead of the party.

“I think we need to put country ahead of party,” Webb said on Fox News. “It troubles me when I see all this debate about whether this is disloyalty to the president or to the Democratic Party, particularly with what Chuck Schumer has gone through.”

Schumer, the New York senator in line to become the party’s next Senate leader, became the most senior Democrat yet to side against the Obama administration on the issue when he announced [1] Thursday he will oppose the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) when Congress votes on a resolution of disapproval next month.

He quickly came under fire from the administration and its supporters, with White House press secretary Josh Earnest suggesting some Democrats might reconsider their choice for Senate leader (a position shared [2] by the New York Times editorial page.)

Former Obama advisor Dan Pfeiffer was blunter. Writing on Twitter, he alluded to the White House talking point that its diplomacy with Iran is the only reasonable alternative to war: “The base won’t support a leader who thought Obamacare was a mistake and wants War with Iran.”

Webb disagreed with the administration’s characterization of a choice between embracing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) or going to war: “I think those are false choices.”

He said leadership was about putting the country first, something he had always sought to do, especially on foreign policy issues.

Webb recalled having been called “wrong” for opposing the Iraq war, for wanting to bring an isolated Burma back into the international community, for questioning the Arab spring, and for opposing the military intervention in Libya.

“With all due respect, I think they were wrong, and I think they are wrong to criticize Chuck Schumer right now.”

Webb’s opposes the JCPOA, he said, because “in the end of this what we see is that they [the Iranians] could have the capability to move forward, basically with our tacit approval, with nuclear weapons.

He also expressed concern about the effect in the region, saying a very delicate balance of power between Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iran could be upset.

Among other Democratic presidential contenders, frontrunner Hillary Clinton [3] and Sen. Bernie Sanders [4] have come out in support for the Iran deal, while Martin O’Malley [5] has voiced cautious optimism.

Meanwhile President Obama refused to back down from his earlier comments linking congressional Republicans with “Death to America”-chanting Iranian hardliners [6].

In a recorded interview aired on Sunday, he told CNN’s Fareed Zakaria that the debate on the deal in the coming weeks should be about substance, and “not get distracted by tone, vote-counts, [or Senate Majority Leader] Mitch McConnell’s feelings hurt.”

Obama said drawing the link between the Iranian hardliners and Republican caucus was accurate.

“What I said is absolutely true factually,” he said. “The truth of the matter is, inside of Iran, the people most opposed to the deal are the Revolutionary Guard, the Qods force, hard-liners who are implacably opposed to any cooperation with the international community.”

“The reason that Mitch McConnell, and the rest of the folks in his caucus who opposed this, jumped out and opposed this before they even read it, before it was even posted, is reflective of an ideological commitment not to get a deal done,” he said.

“And in that sense they do have a lot in common with the hardliners [in Iran] who are much more satisfied with the status quo.”

Obama did not say whether he placed congressional Democrats who oppose the deal in the same category.

Meanwhile MoveOn.org has announced a donor strike, calling Schumer’s stance on the JCPOA “outrageous and unacceptable.

“No real Democratic leader does this,” it said. “If this is what counts as ‘leadership’ among Democrats in the Senate, Senate Democrats should be prepared to find a new leader or few followers.”

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/democrat-jim-webb-opposes-iran-deal-we-need-put-country-ahead-party

rangerrebew

‘We Need to Put Country Ahead of Party’

This is why America is on its way down.  Politicians put party ahead of country and people keep electing them.

Offline EdinVA

This is why America is on its way down.  Politicians put party ahead of country and people keep electing them.

Before we get to excited, webb voted in support of every obama agenda, in short, webb is a liar.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Before we get to excited, webb voted in support of every obama agenda, in short, webb is a liar.

Pretty much Ed. His platform sounds like an old time Democrat, but fool me twice....
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Well, I see things a little differently with Webb.  First of all by looking up his voting record it appears that he is pro gun; pro 2nd amendment.  It also appears that he is anti-illegal immigration.  I give him the benefit of the doubt in putting country before politics as far as Iran goes.  I'm not saying that he has a conservative voting record, or I'd vote for the guy, but I'd rather have him get the DEM nomination than Hillary.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/60043/jim-webb-jr/37/guns#.Vcjjb_nuua8

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/60043/jim-webb-jr/40/immigration#.Vcjj3vnuua8

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/James_Webb.htm
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longiron

Pretty much Ed. His platform sounds like an old time Democrat, but fool me twice....

Agree but the best the DEMS have. However, he is a old time DEM and not liberal enough for today and thus will not go anywhere in the Obama Party. BUT he is their best!!! JMO :seeya:

Offline NavyCanDo

Webb is a moderate, and I disagree with the statement made above that he votes party-line  on every issue. The records clearly shows he does not.  I have read one of his books, and in reading it I assumed he was a Republican based on his words and deep respect for our Founding Fathers ideals and in the Constitution. It wasn't until half way through the book, while doing a little more studying on his political career did I find he was a Democrat. I was shocked a bit by it.

That being said, he does not stand a chance winning the Democratic nomination, who are clearly moving farther left than ever.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Agree but the best the DEMS have. However, he is a old time DEM and not liberal enough for today and thus will not go anywhere in the Obama Party. BUT he is their best!!! JMO :seeya:

He is by far. And I have been corrected as to my impression of his voting record, so he seems even better.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Webb is a moderate, and I disagree with the statement made above that he votes party-line  on every issue. The records clearly shows he does not.  I have read one of his books, and in reading it I assumed he was a Republican based on his words and deep respect for our Founding Fathers ideals and in the Constitution. It wasn't until half way through the book, while doing a little more studying on his political career did I find he was a Democrat. I was shocked a bit by it.

That being said, he does not stand a chance winning the Democratic nomination, who are clearly moving farther left than ever.

“The Navy Cross is presented to James H. Webb, Jr., First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On July 10, 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb's platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex that appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers. Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade that detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search that yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence data. Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body. Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and selfless devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Webb upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.”

In a November 19, 2006 appearance on Meet the Press, Webb told host Tim Russert, "I’m one of these people who – there aren't many of us – who can still justify for you the reasons that we went into Vietnam, however screwed up the strategy got.

Those two things and his service in the Reagan administration make him anything but your typical Democrat and ensure that he will NEVER get that party's nomination for president! 

I actually admired him until he decided to affiliate himself with those communist bastards!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:53:35 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

I know his bio reads well but he is a snake.
Race baiter/woman hater and I will never support him for anything after his campaign against Allen.
I brought several veterans issues to him and he just ignored them.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I know his bio reads well but he is a snake.
Race baiter/woman hater and I will never support him for anything after his campaign against Allen.
I brought several veterans issues to him and he just ignored them.

You know him better than I and I always try to listen to the people who know them best.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien