Author Topic: Marijuana dispensaries save lives, new study shows  (Read 578 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Marijuana dispensaries save lives, new study shows
« on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/marijuana-dispensaries-save-lives-new-study-shows

The United States has a problem with painkillers. During the past 15 years, America has seen a tremendous growth in both the sales of prescription opiates and the number of people who die each year from abusing them. More than 16,000 people fatally overdosed on prescription painkillers in 2013, accounting for 60% of all overdose deaths, according to the Center for Disease Control. But a new study suggests that some states have already stumbled onto a means of curbing this fatal epidemic: Easily-accessible marijuana.

For the study, researchers from the RAND Corporation and the University of California-Irvine (UCI) examined whether, in the years following legalization, states that legalized marijuana had experienced reductions in fatal overdoses and addiction treatment center admissions relating to opioid abuse. The researchers found that these states experienced significant reductions in both measures of opioid misuse — but only if they had also legalized marijuana dispensaries. In the six states where doctors are allowed to prescribe marijuana, but where retail dispensaries are prohibited, the study found “no evidence” of “reductions in substance abuse or mortality.” But in those 18 states where medical marijuana shops are allowed, they found a 16% reduction in “opioid-related mortality” and 28% reduction in opioid-abuse treatment admissions.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Re: Marijuana dispensaries save lives, new study shows
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »
This amounts to single-entry bookkeeping - i.e., tantamount to fraud - unless the other side of the page has been reviewed; i.e., what harms have these things caused or increased?  And I'll hold off on accepting the conclusion of the study itself until it's been replicated.