Author Topic: Tiger Woods' Free-Fall Going Faster by the Round  (Read 2086 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Tiger Woods' Free-Fall Going Faster by the Round
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
Tiger Woods' Free-Fall Going Faster by the Round
Ian O'Connor

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. -- Maybe there was a time you figured the artist formerly known as Tiger Woods had earned his own demise, that he had this coming to him all along. Maybe you thought he deserved to suffer on the golf course after the scandal, and after he spent his dynastic years wearing that invisible Do Not Disturb sign while keeping you, the sports fan, as far away as possible on the less fortunate side of the ropes.

Maybe you were a blind believer in karma, entrenched enough in the what-goes-around, comes-around crowd to enjoy watching Woods devolve into the worst kind of a muni-course hacker.

But even the most passionate haters can't find satisfaction in this anymore. Like him or not, Tiger Woods stands among the greatest athletes this country has ever produced. Who really wants to see him keep getting humiliated like he was Thursday at Chambers Bay, where the tattered remains of his indomitable aura were pancaked by the freight trains rumbling across the banks of Puget Sound?

Woods shot 10-over 80 in his opening round of the U.S. Open, his first tournament since posting his worst score as a pro, 85, at Jack Nicklaus' Memorial Tournament, a score right out of the B-flight semifinals at your local club. Woods has been trying and failing to nail down his 15th major title for seven years, and no, he's no longer worried about catching Nicklaus at 18.

more at:  http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen15/story/_/id/13111332/tiger-woods-free-fall-going-faster-round-shooting-80-us-open

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Tiger Woods' Free-Fall Going Faster by the Round
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »
Got this gnawing feeling that we're all being set up....ala Bruce Jenner.  IOW, he's about to enter a phone booth and exit as Superman.

Although it would seem he'd have used the proverbial 'whip' by now, seeing the homestretch of his career is right in front of him.

I realize that as Yogi Berra eloquently said about "...game is 90% mental and the other half is physical", that saying certainly applies to golf.

But THIS bad??   :shrug:

Imagine the marketing potential if Tiger suddenly turns into 'American Pharoah' again and dominates the circuit. 

I'm still waiting ......{{{fingers drumming}}}
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:33:31 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 12:47:05 pm »
Yer in for a long wait DC.  Tiger is lost in a sea of swing changes and mental mistakes. He's too obstinate to do what is needed to break out and play decent golf again.
He could have shot in the low 70s for his 1st round if he had just used his head...but he didn't...and he won't.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »
My opinion is that Tiger's body is too screwed up from steroid use when he was younger.  Tiger's chickens are coming home to roost.  He will never be great again.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
Yer in for a long wait DC.  Tiger is lost in a sea of swing changes and mental mistakes. He's too obstinate to do what is needed to break out and play decent golf again.
He could have shot in the low 70s for his 1st round if he had just used his head...but he didn't...and he won't.

You're right. Golf is a fascinating game. It is a game of physical skills guided by superior mental acuity and focus. Apparently, Tiger Woods has not the strength of character nor discipline to get it back.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:13 pm »
Chambers Bay is messing with a lot of people.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
Chambers Bay is messing with a lot of people.

Yes....they talked about that locally, BEFORE the tournament even began.

One day a hole is a Par 4...the next it's a 5.  Players were practicing putting from 50 feet plus, because the greens go on forever and the fairways are cut as short as the greens on some holes.  And they're "brown", which isn't sitting well with the players.

Somebody said today that Tiger's recent breakup with Lindsey Vonn , may be having an impact too.

If things aren't going too good between the ears, your 'game' will suffer.  Yeah...it's called "life", but it's also the reason baseball slumps last months instead of days.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:05:04 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline evadR

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »
Chambers Bay is a 100% disgraceful goat tract that should be plowed under...and then they should build a golf course on it.
Even the worst of the European links courses don't come close to this thing.

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »
Chambers Bay was a sand and gravel quarry.  They plowed it under and built a golf course.  Sort of.  Way too brown and curvy for me, but the bay is beautiful today and worth looking at.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:55:57 pm »
heh...
Wacky Golf

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 10:32:30 pm »
Speaking of marketing:  Tiger Woods' lackluster play creating challenges for golf retailers. It seems no one wants to buy that crappy Nike stuff with Tiger's name on it when he's playing so poorly. That's a shame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:17:34 am »
Chambers Bay was a sand and gravel quarry.  They plowed it under and built a golf course.  Sort of.  Way too brown and curvy for me, but the bay is beautiful today and worth looking at.

It is a beautiful location for a course, but I've been there and seen the course and it is a monster of a course for anyone of any skill level to play at. We often go the dog park just south of the Chambers Bay course right on the beach. Because it's a Links course its a bit too arid looking for my taste. I'd rather play the many beautiful  treed courses in the Puget Sound area. The Chambers Bay course does green up nicely, but like many of our lawns here in WA, the dry spring has caused our lawns to turn yellowish a month early.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 01:26:20 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »
When I watch majors on TV, I usually wish for the chance to play the course someday - Pebble Beach, Oakmont, Augusta, etc. This time, not so much. Mr. M commented last night that the best either of us could hope for on any Chambers Bay hole probably would be an 8, even from the most forward tees.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 04:32:18 am »
What a anti-climatic ending. It was heart-stopping drama from hole 13 to 18, but with Johnson 3-putting making Spieth the winner, all you heard was groans from the crowd.  No loud cheering fans, no fist pumps from the winner and hugging the caddy. The winner wasn't even present at the time, but instead in the 18th hole score card officiating trailer.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 12:16:55 pm »
It was a nailbiter all day, and at the very end looked like Johnson would be hoisting the trophy. But his putting always has been iffy - and perhaps his nerves, as well. Spieth seems like a good kid -  congrats to him!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »
When I watch majors on TV, I usually wish for the chance to play the course someday - Pebble Beach, Oakmont, Augusta, etc. This time, not so much. Mr. M commented last night that the best either of us could hope for on any Chambers Bay hole probably would be an 8, even from the most forward tees.

I will never ever play Chambers Bay as there are no cart paths and thus no carts!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
I will never ever play Chambers Bay as there are no cart paths and thus no carts!
Actually, that would be a plus for me, as I hate to ride carts. But for 18 holes, it certainly would be a workout!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »

For awhile there, thought I was watching the British Open.  Chambers Bay is an abomination.

Hitting the 'green' 6 feet from the pin only to see it roll 65 YARDS (not feet) away?  Gimme a break.   :whistle: