Author Topic: ESPN Suspends Reporter Over Rant Recorded By Towing Company  (Read 3491 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
ESPN Suspends Reporter Over Rant Recorded By Towing Company
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:41 pm »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/04/17/400329400/espn-suspends-reporter-over-rant-recorded-by-towing-company

ESPN Suspends Reporter Over Rant Recorded By Towing Company
April 17, 2015 9:53 AM ET

A string of insults aimed at a woman who works at a towing company were recorded by a surveillance camera. Now they've come back to sting sports reporter Britt McHenry. After the video emerged of McHenry, 28, dishing out profane verbal abuse, ESPN announced she'll be punished.

"Britt McHenry has been suspended for one week effectively immediately," the media company said.

Video of the encounter, which reportedly took place earlier this month, spread quickly after it was published Thursday on LiveLeak. In it, McHenry, who is based in Washington, D.C., vents her anger about her towed car at the counter clerk, who points out the surveillance camera.

Here's the video — we'll warn you, it includes profanity. (We summarize it below.)

In the footage, McHenry says, among other things:

"I'm in the news sweetheart. I will ******* sue this place."
"That's why I have a degree and you don't."
"I wouldn't work at a scumbag place like this. Makes my skin crawl even being here."
"Do you feel good about your job? So, I could be a college dropout and do the same thing?"
"Maybe if I was missing some teeth they would hire me, huh?"

When the clerk suggests that McHenry's hair could use a touch-up, she dismisses the idea by saying, "Cause I'm on television and you're in a ******* trailer, honey."

She then says, "Lose some weight, baby girl."

Hours after the video was highlighted by Deadspin on Thursday, McHenry issued an apology:

"In an intense and stressful moment, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me and said some insulting and regrettable things. As frustrated as I was, I should always choose to be respectful and take the high road. I am so sorry for my actions and will learn from this mistake."

The tow company employee is identified by Busted Coverage as Gina Michelle. Citing her, the website reports that Advanced Towing impounded McHenry's car on a Sunday night because she left it in the parking lot of a Chinese restaurant for two hours after it had closed. McHenry says she ate at the restaurant.

It seems that after the incident, both McHenry and Michelle used social media to contact local news site ARLnow.com, which notes, "some who have dealt with Advanced Towing have backed the former Arlington worker [McHenry]."

Advanced Towing was in the news just days before McHenry's car was towed, after a man said one of the company's drivers had started to tow his car with his children still inside it, waiting for him in a CVS parking lot, NBC Washington reported.

McHenry is a graduate of Stetson University and the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University. Before being hired by ESPN one year ago, she worked at WJLA-TV in the Washington, D.C., area.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: ESPN Suspends Reporter Over Rant Recorded By Towing Company
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »
How shamed ESPN reporter Britt McHenry used her blog to champion women's rights and the importance of 'intelligence and class over beauty'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3043754/How-shamed-ESPN-reporter-Britt-McHenry-used-blog-champion-women-s-rights-importance-intelligence-class-beauty.html

ESPN sports reporter Britt McHenry suspended for one week from network
    She berated an Advanced Towing employee after her car was towed from a Chinese restaurant in Arlington, Virginia, on April 6
    Insulted the woman's looks, education and job
    But her blog tells women to 'be comfortable in their own skin'
    'Lose some weight, baby girl,' McHenry told the worker in the video
    McHenry apologized on Thursday after security footage surface online
    Said it was 'an intense and stressful' situation

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:27:22 pm »
I wonder if ESPN will let her go?  She has been suspended  1 week. I have never heard of her. Yet I quit watching espn some time ago. It doesn't come in our TV package anymore. Have to pay more and will not do so.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:25 pm »
I wonder if ESPN will let her go?  She has been suspended  1 week. I have never heard of her. Yet I quit watching espn some time ago. It doesn't come in our TV package anymore. Have to pay more and will not do so.

I hope that week turns into a lifetime.

This young woman is a despicable human being.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »
I hope that week turns into a lifetime.

This young woman is a despicable human being.
I really hope they fire her.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »
She may indeed learn from this mistake – she is only 28, after all.

But, what is it about her that makes me think that what we see on tape is who this young woman really is and that change will not be forthcoming?

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:53 pm »
Just another liberal, working at a liberal nest, showing who she really is, and what liberalism really looks like.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:07:50 pm »
She may indeed learn from this mistake – she is only 28, after all.

But, what is it about her that makes me think that what we see on tape is who this young woman really is and that change will not be forthcoming?

For me, it's that she calls this behavior 'a mistake.'  It's far more than that.

She has an arrogance, condescension and meanness that can't be fixed by calling it all 'a mistake.'

She needs a major attitude adjustment, and a change of heart, and I don't think she's even aware that she's got a problem.

At least not yet.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:19:51 pm »
You may wish to consider that what journalists really think about "everyday Americans" is no different from what Hillary Clinton thinks about them.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 07:36:47 pm »
Good observation. Broadcast journalists especially see themselves as a celebrity rather than as a working reporter or newshound.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:40:32 pm »
For me, it's that she calls this behavior 'a mistake.'  It's far more than that.

She has an arrogance, condescension and meanness that can't be fixed by calling it all 'a mistake.'

She needs a major attitude adjustment, and a change of heart, and I don't think she's even aware that she's got a problem.

At least not yet.....

By the age of 28 most of us had families and a sense of responsibility, not just boundless feelings of entitlement.

ESPN needs to fire this woman.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:12 pm »
By the age of 28 most of us had families and a sense of responsibility, not just boundless feelings of entitlement.

ESPN needs to fire this woman.
By the age of 28 even the more successful people in her field have usually only advanced to mid-sized markets. Her national television position is one of privilege and entitlement, to be sure, owed in no small part to her physical characteristics; heck, considering she's around the same age as I am, and that she came out of college in the middle of a very bad recession in which people that looked like her were the only people getting hired, that may be the only reason she made it in television AT ALL.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044736/Disgraced-ESPN-reporter-abandoned-car-Chinese-restaurant-parking-lot-happy-hour-launching-arrogant-tirade-single-mom-tow-company-clerk-removed.html

ESPN reporter Britt McHenry was filmed berating tow clerk Gina Michelle
Her car had been towed from a Chinese diner in Arlington, VA, on April 6
Enraged, she insulted mother-of-three Michelle's looks, education and job 
'Lose some weight, baby girl,' McHenry told the worker in the video
However, her blog tells women to 'be comfortable in their own skin'
McHenry apologized on Thursday after security footage surfaced online
But she has made no approach to the firm or her victim
Some 10,000 activists have signed petition calling for her to be sacked

Offline musiclady

I've been wondering what the back story was on this despicable 'baby girl's' towing situation.

I'm not sure she needs to be fired.  More like sent to her room without supper until she learns to behave..... 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 03:54:27 pm »
I'd be more hopeful if her "apology" was as a result of her looking in the mirror, rather than at her twitter feed and paycheck.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:52 pm »
She uses the term college dropout. Isn't it supposed to be high school dropout?

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:14 pm »
You may wish to consider that what journalists really think about "everyday Americans" is no different from what Hillary Clinton thinks about them.

That's only because there are precious few real journalists left; most of those who call themselves "journalists" are really nothing more than left-wing agit-prop dogs.