Author Topic: Graham threatens to withhold UN funding  (Read 484 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham threatens to withhold UN funding
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:06:24 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/236395-graham-threatens-to-withhold-un-funding

March 20, 2015, 08:31 am
Graham threatens to withhold UN funding
By Ben Kamisar

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) warned Thursday that he would slash America’s funding to the United Nations if the body decides to lift its sanctions on Iran as part of a nuclear agreement.

“Twenty-two percent of the funding for the United Nations comes from the American taxpayer and I’m in charge of that account,” he said on Fox News’ “On the Record.”

“If they go to the UN Security council and the UN Security council lifts all sanctions before we ever get a chance to look at this deal, absolutely I would suspend funding the United Nations, because I don't think your money should go to an organization that irresponsible.”
Graham is the chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee’s subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations and Related Programs. America sent the United Nations $654 million for 2015.

Multilateral negotiations with Tehran are reportedly stalled over whether the U.N. would quickly lift its sanctions after an agreement on scaling down its nuclear program is reached. Iran wants the sanctions removed as soon as possible, while the United States and other parties to the talks want assurances that Iran is meeting its commitments. '

Graham is one of the more vocal opponents of the Iran negotiations. He signed the recent letter from 47 Republican senators to Iran's leadership that warned Congress would overrule any negotiations it didn’t have a part in. He added that there is “zero doubt” that he would move to cut off funding to the U.N. if it removed the sanctions, framing the multilateral negotiations as a threat to Israeli security.

“I'm not going to allow the United Nations to be used as a way to get around the United States Congress for a deal that affects the very existence of Israel and our own national security,” he said.

“The worst possible outcome is for Iran to get a nuclear weapon."

Graham has made the threat before, most recently during a speech at the annual convention for the pro-Israel lobbying group, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Graham threatens to withhold UN funding
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »
Good for Graham, but Barry has bypassed Congress and made negotiations through the U.N. so I'm not so sure that it's really going to do much good at this point. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline flowers

Re: Graham threatens to withhold UN funding
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:34:39 pm »
Yeah right Graham. When has he ever gone thru with anything he says when it is about fighting the admin?