Author Topic: ‘Neutral’ Officially Recognized as Third Gender at University of Vermont  (Read 1112 times)

rangerrebew

‘Neutral’ Officially Recognized as Third Gender at University of Vermont

Julie Klose
 on 5 February, 2015 at 06:45

The University of Vermont is now offering “neutral” as a third gender on their campus information system. The word “they” is now a substitute for he or she among the transgender community on campus.

According to The New York Times, students can select their own identity, including a new first name (regardless if legally changed) and choose their given pronoun, such as “they.” This information is used in a student’s file and helps professors correctly address their students.

Vermont is the first in recognizing a third gender among a growing number of colleges that have been concerned with “identity politics.” However, adding the gender-neutral option was not an easy task. It “took nearly a decade of lobbying, the creation of a task force of students, faculty members and administrators, and six months and $80,000 in staff time to create a software patch.”

Will more universities adopt a third gender? And are our educational institutions so concerned with gender-identity that they will use a grammatically incorrect pronoun of “they” to refer to a single person in an effort to be more “gender aware?”

Read more at http://barbwire.com/2015/02/05/0650-neutral-officially-recognized-third-gender-university-vermont/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
"Vermont is the first in recognizing a third gender among a growing number of colleges that have been concerned with “identity politics.” However, adding the gender-neutral option was not an easy task. It “took nearly a decade of lobbying, the creation of a task force of students, faculty members and administrators, and six months and $80,000 in staff time to create a software patch.”"

Just like with the government, change involves setting up a new task force - then deciding on a task force chairman - then spending $80,000 and six months to create a patch.........

All of that to add another check box that says "they" as another gender.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

Since the folks at UV are so intent on inventing stuff, why didn't they just create with a new word for the third gender, and not the inaccurate "neutral"?
Male, female and k>vz%hqVii, for example.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
The transgender thing is weird, and I seriously question the judgment of a person that tries to become the opposite sex, but I feel like this is one of those things we just shouldn't care about. Why does it matter? Let them do their thing and let them be happy about it.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

It “took nearly a decade of lobbying, the creation of a task force of students, faculty members and administrators, and six months and $80,000 in staff time to create a software patch.”
It matters because taxpayer-supported institutions of higher education (like UV) are wasting the taxpayers' money with this nonsense.

Offline musiclady

Since the folks at UV are so intent on inventing stuff, why didn't they just create with a new word for the third gender, and not the inaccurate "neutral"?
Male, female and k>vz%hqVii, for example.

Good point, mountaineer.

They're certainly not "neutral" and since that word sounds a lot like "neutered" you gotta wonder why they didn't create another word.

The left certainly lives in a world of make-believe.  You'd think they'd just make up a new word.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

It matters because taxpayer-supported institutions of higher education (like UV) are wasting the taxpayers' money with this nonsense.

It wouldn't have taken all of that effort and money if people weren't so hell bent on stopping them.
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

It wouldn't have taken all of that effort and money if people weren't so hell bent on stopping them.
Who was "hell bent on stopping them"? The article doesn't say anything about that.

Offline Dexter

Who was "hell bent on stopping them"? The article doesn't say anything about that.

They wouldn't have needed to lobby and create student task forces if there wasn't opposition.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:10:00 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

They wouldn't have needed to lobby and create student task forces if there wasn't opposition.
You're unfamiliar with the peculiar inefficiency of university administrations, I'm guessing. They'll create task forces for no reason at all.  :whistle:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

"Intersex, in humans and other animals, is a variation in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, or genitals that do not allow an individual to be distinctly identified as male or female. Such variation may involve genital ambiguity, and combinations of chromosomal genotype and sexual phenotype other than XY-male and XX-female.[1][2]"

snip

There is no argument about the hardware. The article also refers to software (chromosomes, psychological, brain chemistry, etc.)

If God made these people by mistake, or intentionally, I doubt he would condone persecuting, discriminating, giving them a harder time than they already have.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

Oh, come on, we're not talking about "intersex" beings. How often does that occur, anyway? This is one college that has decided there's a third non-gender-gender, and it has nothing to do with variations of chromosomes.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ students can select their own identity, including a new first name (regardless if legally changed) and choose their given pronoun, such as “they.” ]]

Sounds like this was lifted out of Ayn Rand's second novel, "Anthem"...

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
It would have been much simpler and cheaper to just add another check box that says "Other".

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!