Author Topic: Our critics predict the big Oscar winners — and surprises  (Read 1245 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Our critics predict the big Oscar winners — and surprises
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »
http://nypost.com/2015/02/21/our-critics-predict-the-big-oscar-winners-and-surprises/

Our critics predict the big Oscar winners — and surprises

By Kyle Smith and Lou Lumenick

February 21, 2015 | 6:22pm

Bradley Cooper, Julianne Moore and Michael Keaton are up for big wins at the 2015 Academy Awards. Photo: Keith Bernstein/Warner Bros; Linda Kallerus/Sony Pictures Classics; Atsushi Nishijima/Twentieth Century Fox

Lou’s Picks:

Best Picture

√ “American Sniper”

“Birdman”

“Boyhood”

“The Grand Budapest Hotel”

“The Imitation Game”

“Selma”

“The Theory of Everything”

“Whiplash”

Lou’s pick: The stats say that “Birdman,” with awards from the actors, directors and producers guilds, is a lock. So why is it supposedly in a dead heat with critics’ darling “Boyhood”?

I believe attempts to slime “American Sniper” as right-wing propaganda — and its ginormous post-nomination Oscar bounce — have given it the momentum to surpass its gimmicky rivals.

Best Actor

Steve Carell, “Foxcatcher”

√ Bradley Cooper, “American Sniper”

Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Imitation Game”

Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything”

Lou’s pick: While Oscar newbies Keaton and Redmayne have been slugging it out on the awards circuit, three-time nominee Cooper has been working hard to promote the performance of his career (while also starring in “The Elephant Man” on Broadway).

Appearances on “60 Minutes” and the “Saturday Night Live” 40th anniversary special two days before voting closed will put him over the top.

Best Actress

Marion Cotillard, “Two Days, One Night”

Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything”

√ Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”

Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl”

Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

Lou’s pick: You can bet the mortgage that the much-nominated Moore will finally win for playing an Alzheimer’s patient. The nomination is the award for the other four women.

Best Supporting Actress

√ Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”

Laura Dern, “Wild”

Keira Knightley, “The Imitation Game”

Emma Stone, “Birdman”

Meryl Streep, “Into the Woods”

Lou’s pick: Arquette — who has swept a long series of awards — holds her overlong movie together as a troubled single mom. No serious competition here.

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Duvall, “The Judge”

Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood”

Edward Norton, “Birdman”

Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher”

√ J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”

Lou’s pick: Simmons delivers an Oscar-friendly tour de force as an abusive (and possibly closeted) music teacher. Like Arquette, he’s owned this award since their movies both premiered at Sundance 2014.

Best Director

Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

√ Alejandro González Iñárritu, “Birdman”

Richard Linklater, “Boyhood”

Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher”

Morten Tyldum, “The Imitation Game”

Lou’s pick: The super-predictive Directors Guild award says it goes to Iñárritu. But I wouldn’t exactly be shocked if the academy feels guilty enough to give it to Linklater.

Best Animated Feature

√ “Big Hero 6″

“The Boxtrolls”

“How to Train Your Dragon 2″

“Song of the Sea”

“The Tale of the Princess Kaguya”

Lou’s pick: I’d love to see Laika studio win for “The Boxtrolls,” but let’s get real — Disney (producer of “Big Hero 6”) is coming off “Frozen,’’ and it’s unlikely most voters have even seen most of the other nominees.

Best Costume Design

“Inherent Vice”

“Into the Woods”

“Maleficent”

√ “Mr. Turner”

Lou’s pick: This would be a good place for the academy to atone for snubbing “Mr. Turner” and its wonderful lead performance.

​Kyle’s Picks:

​Best Picture

“American Sniper”

“Birdman”

√ “Boyhood”

“The Imitation Game”

“Selma”

“The Theory of Everything”

“Whiplash”

Kyle’s pick: “Boyhood.” It’s got heart and soul. “Birdman” is a somewhat chilly display of artifice.

Best Actor

Steve Carell, “Foxcatcher”

Bradley Cooper, “American Sniper”

Benedict Cumberbatch, “The Imitation Game”

√ Michael Keaton, “Birdman”

Eddie Redmayne, “The Theory of Everything”

Kyle’s pick: Keaton wasn’t nearly as good as Redmayne but has a great story. He was in “Batman,” get it?

Best Actress

Marion Cotillard, “Two Days, One Night”

Felicity Jones, “The Theory of Everything”

√ Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”

Rosamund Pike, “Gone Girl”

Reese Witherspoon, “Wild”

Kyle’s pick: Moore. I have early-onset memory loss about the other four performances.

Best Supporting Actress

√ Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”

Laura Dern, “Wild”

Keira Knightley, “The Imitation Game”

Emma Stone, “Birdman”

Meryl Streep, “Into the Woods”

Kyle’s pick: Arquette gets the vote of everyone with a mom.

Best Supporting Actor

Robert Duvall, “The Judge”

Ethan Hawke, “Boyhood”

Edward Norton, “Birdman”

Mark Ruffalo, “Foxcatcher”

√ J.K. Simmons, “Whiplash”

Kyle’s pick: If he doesn’t win, I’ll throw a chair at my TV to honor him.

Best Director

Wes Anderson, “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

√ Alejandro González Iñárritu, “Birdman”

Richard Linklater, “Boyhood”

Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher”

Morten Tyldum, “The Imitation Game”

Kyle’s pick: Directors love look-at-me directors, and “Birdman” was technically dazzling.

Best Animated Feature

“Big Hero 6″

​”​The Boxtrolls”

√ “How To Train Your Dragon 2″

“Song of the Sea”

“The Tale of the Princess Kaguya”

Kyle’s pick: No idea. “Dragon”?

Best Costume Design

√ “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

“Inherent Vice”

“Into the Woods”

“Maleficent”

“Mr. Turner”

Kyle’s pick: “Grand Budapest” wins this and a lobby full of other tech awards.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Our critics predict the big Oscar winners — and surprises
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »
Well, here's the list of actual major winners:

Best Picture: “Birdman”
Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez, for “Birdman”
Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything”
Best Actress: Julianne Moore as the title role in “Still Alice”
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons in Whiplash
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette in “Boyhood”

The complete list, from Wikipedia

In a move that should surprise absolutely nobody, “American Sniper” got snubbed, except for a sound editing award. Come on. Did you really think a bunch of ivory tower liberals were going to let a film like that win Best Picture?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »
I started watching a Weather Channel program about plane crashes. It was more uplifting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:20:40 pm »
Well, here's the list of actual major winners:

Best Picture: “Birdman”
Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez, for “Birdman”
Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything”
Best Actress: Julianne Moore as the title role in “Still Alice”
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons in Whiplash
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette in “Boyhood”

The complete list, from Wikipedia

In a move that should surprise absolutely nobody, “American Sniper” got snubbed, except for a sound editing award. Come on. Did you really think a bunch of ivory tower liberals were going to let a film like that win Best Picture?

Mrs Lando enjoys watching the awards which I certainly respect.  She called me over to watch an entertainment commentator make his predictions.  He was direct and said the liberals would snub AS despite it being perhaps the best film. Same for Bradley Cooper - again because of the liberal mindset. It was, as I said, direct. Impugns the results overall, doesn't it? 

If the awards aren't a measure of quality, then what are they?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:21:52 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:37 pm »
Mrs Lando enjoys watching the awards which I certainly respect.  She called me over to watch an entertainment commentator make his predictions.  He was direct and said the liberals would snub AS despite it being perhaps the best film. Same for Bradley Cooper - again because of the liberal mindset. It was, as I said, direct. Impugns the results overall, doesn't it? 

If the awards aren't a measure of quality, then what are they?

Playing the evil's advocate here.

Box office success is not indicative of either quality or artistry.

I happen to think that The Grand Budapest Hotel was by far the best film last year and that it should have won award for best picture. Anthony Quinonez should have walked away with the Oscar.

Disclaimer... I have no interest in watching The Theory of Everything, so I can't comment on its quality as a film.

What the Oscars can't deny, is that when the American people voted at the box office, Sniper ran away with the award.

Neil Patrick Harris nailed it:

Congratulating this year's nominees for Best Picture, host of this year's Oscars Neil Patrick Harris took note that American Sniper alone has raked in more at the box office than all the other nominees combined.

"Congratulations to all the nominees, especially for the 8 films up for Best Picture. They have grossed over $600 million," Harris said.

"American Sniper alone is responsible for over $300 million of that," Harris said. "So congratulations to them."

"To put that in perspective, everyone on this side of the theater is the 7 other nominees and American Sniper is Oprah."

Oprah, sitting next to her longtime partner Stedman Graham, was on the other side of the room and looked surprised when the camera was on her.

"Because you're rich," Harris said after a pause.

Oprah mouthed back but it was inaudible.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:37:11 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »
I saw all the films except "Whiplash."  I would have supported "Boyhood" for best picture based on the monumental achievement of filming over ten years, and the authenticity that brought to the movie.  like Luis, I did not think I would enjoy "The Theory of Everything" but was surprised how much I did enjoy it.  "Birdman" was just too bizarre to me.  It was one of those all-too-clever artist films that walk the line between reality and fantasy, and i tired of it by the end.  The ending itself was a cop-out.  I am not surprised it got voted best picture.  Hollywood is self-absorbed.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/23/valerie-jarrett-praises-oscar-winner-patricia-arquette-for-equal-pay-speech/
VALERIE JARRETT PRAISES OSCAR WINNER PATRICIA ARQUETTE FOR EQUAL PAY SPEECH
by CHARLIE SPIERING23 Feb 2015
While Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez were leaping out of their seats to endorse Oscar Winner Patricia Arquette for using her acceptance speech to highlight the issue of equal pay for women, President Obama’s most trusted senior advisor endorsed the message as well.

“Congrats @PattyArquette!,” Valerie Jarrett tweeted shortly after the speech. “Thx for using your speech to advocate for #EqualPay and for understanding that when women succeed, America succeeds.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 02:36:53 pm »
Just to finish Jarrett's tweet.

...and when corrupt women succeed, America suffers.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »
I saw all the films except "Whiplash."  I would have supported "Boyhood" for best picture based on the monumental achievement of filming over ten years, and the authenticity that brought to the movie.  like Luis, I did not think I would enjoy "The Theory of Everything" but was surprised how much I did enjoy it.  "Birdman" was just too bizarre to me.  It was one of those all-too-clever artist films that walk the line between reality and fantasy, and i tired of it by the end.  The ending itself was a cop-out.  I am not surprised it got voted best picture.  Hollywood is self-absorbed.

The only one I've seen is American Sniper and that is very likely to remain the case.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:40 pm »
“Congrats @PattyArquette!,” Valerie Jarrett tweeted shortly after the speech. “Thx for using your speech to advocate for #EqualPay and for understanding that when women succeed, America succeeds.”
Did ValJar explain why income inequality is S.O.P at the White House?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 05:25:40 pm »
Patricia Arquette's net worth is $24M.

When she is politicking for equal pay, does she mean that all working women should have a net worth of $24M, or that she should be paid more money for her roles so that her pay equals those of her male co-stars?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 05:59:02 pm »
I saw them all except Selma...Birdman was at the bottom the list for me for the very reasons stated earlier by massadvj...it ended up too cute by half, too self-absorbed and eventually ran into a swamp at the end.  It was a half-interesting insider art film.  It just didn't work and has a ridiculously limited audience.

Patricia Arquette was stupid, but aren't they all - millionaires who are jealous of Oprah I guess...did she even realize that the richest person in a room of the ultra rich was a black woman?  Oprah acted like the fool she is as well.  And the stupid-ass Ferguson reference in their Selma song was just too much crap.  So the meaning of Selma is now that blacks should allowed to commit whatever crimes, violent included, that they want without any societal repurcussions and the victims of their violent crimes be damned if they are white?  I guess that's it.

I actually thought the best four movies that were nominated were American Sniper, Whiplash, The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Theory of Everything.  If any of those had won it would have been fitting enough.  Not much of a year for movies though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:00:14 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan