Author Topic: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'  (Read 15832 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Jeb Bush: It Won't Hurt That 'I'm Bilingual, Bicultural'
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2015, 04:38:50 pm »
I've noticed that, Luis!

Perhaps your IQ is sinking??  ^-^

:beer:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2015, 04:41:24 pm »
:facepalm2:

I have some Excedrin around here somewhere.

Can I send it to you?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2015, 04:43:10 pm »
Go away Bigun.

Nope! Not going to happen!

Answer the SIMPLE question I posed to you Luis!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2015, 04:44:24 pm »
Nope! Not going to happen!

Answer the SIMPLE question I posed to you Luis!

I did, several times, and you're incapable of understanding my response.

We're done.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2015, 04:46:22 pm »
I did, several times, and you're incapable of understanding my response.

We're done.

NO you didn't! It requires only a simple yes or no answer Luis!

Thus far you have only danced around to AVOID answering it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 04:49:03 pm »
I have some Excedrin around here somewhere.

Can I send it to you?

I need something stronger than that!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 04:50:50 pm »

I have that too.

:whistle:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 04:52:08 pm »

You want I should talk to Dex? He's got some good stuff—well, that's what I hear, anyway.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
You want I should talk to Dex? He's got some good stuff—well, that's what I hear, anyway.

So... Dex is "The Dude" here?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 04:55:18 pm »
This thread demonstrates why Republicans have and continue to harm their chances, with certain voters.

Spanish is here to stay in the USA, like it or not. It is not much different that Switzerland, which has 3 languages. Or several other areas, where provinces retain languages, alongside the national language.

Wales, part of the UK, is retaining the Welsh language, alongside English. Irish and English work side by side in the Irish Republic. Finns in Sweden retain Finnish, and Swedes in Finland retain Swedish.

Bretons in Brittany retain their Breton language, alongside their French.

The English word for this occurrence, is "reality."

In related developments, I heard a good marriage slogan: "I can either be right, or I can be happy."

The "English only" spouses sound like the party, that insists on being right, at the expense of happiness and winning elections.

Bush's remarks are aimed at associating himself with the target group; Hispanics. Not much different from eating pasta with Italians, or Bratwurst with Germans. Many of you will have heard (or witnessed) the way the French are when you have made no attempt to use their language, versus when you have. The label "dumb Swede" is something I heard as a kid, based on my grandfather, son of two immigrants.

Making too much of this subject, takes the conversation into murkier and even murkier places, and they are not good ones.

I fully expect my remarks will fall on deaf (English speaking) ears, with some here.

**"Scotch" is a drink, "Scots" is a people and a regional/provincial/national variant on the English language.

The pasta the Italians have, derives from China, the tomatoes for the sauce came from Mexico. The potatoes which starved millions of Irish came from Peru.

The Americas were named for Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian sailing for the Spanish at the time, as Italian Columbus sailed for the Spanish.

Do some Hispanics have reason for claiming mistreatment? Yes, some do. In my area, kids went to integrated schools in the 1930s in one town, yet in the next town over, Hispanic kids went to segregated schools. That is a fact I didn't know as a kid, but with an open mind I have learned it.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2015, 04:56:47 pm »
So... Dex is "The Dude" here?

Can't personally vouch for that but, you interested? I have a friend who has a friend who has a friend, and his friend knows somebody.

Offline Relic

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »
You did not consult me on what level of insult was acceptable to me before you posted your a-hole "La Raza" thing.

I exercised an equal amount of freedom when I posted my response to you.

The remedy to hate speech in more speech.

I love this country.

Ok, so liar is your answer.
Duly noted.  :seeya:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2015, 06:09:08 pm »
Ok, so liar is your answer.
Duly noted.  :seeya:

And asshat was an accurate description for you.

Noted.

BTW asshat. I responded to your insult.

Don't go all Al Sharpton on us now and play the victim.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:11:29 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:50 pm »
And this debate started because Jeb dared to speak a little Spanish? 

I personally prefer the metric system versus the Imperial/English/standard units of measure.  But that's just me.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2015, 06:23:02 pm »
And asshat was an accurate description for you.

Noted.

BTW asshat. I responded to your insult.

Don't go all Al Sharpton on us now and play the victim.

Victim? I'm no victim. I'm just pointing out your fondness for a La Raza type view of this land mass.

Pseudo intellectuals such as yourself, and your president, don't really bother me.

Your insults are kind of entertaining. You see, I was taught long ago that if you don't respect the person insulting you, it's not really worth worrying about.

Continue ranting.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2015, 06:23:19 pm »

I personally prefer the metric system versus the Imperial/English/standard units of measure.  But that's just me.

YOU AINT 'MERICAN, ARE YOU BOY?

Offline Relic

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2015, 06:26:35 pm »
YOU AINT 'MERICAN, ARE YOU BOY?

That's a cute take on a stereotype that is often used for ridicule over at DU.

You're a lot of fun there, burrito boy.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2015, 06:30:57 pm »
Victim? I'm no victim. I'm just pointing out your fondness for a La Raza type view of this land mass.

Pseudo intellectuals such as yourself, and your president, don't really bother me.

Your insults are kind of entertaining. You see, I was taught long ago that if you don't respect the person insulting you, it's not really worth worrying about.

Continue ranting.

Do you understand why my insults are entertaining to you?

You've been insulted by so many, for so long, that you've developed an emotional protection mechanism to help you service all the mockery leveled at you.

I may be a pseudo intellectual, but I do that in 2.5 times as many languages than you do, leaving anyone incapable of even applying the "pseudo" part of the intellectual to your level of intellect, or the absolute lack of it.

Isn't it telling that a backwoods, single strand DNA type like yourself sees any variation of "intellectual" as an insult?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »
That's a cute take on a stereotype that is often used for ridicule over at DU.

You're a lot of fun there, burrito boy.

I predict burrito grandchildren or great grandchildren in your  future.

An interesting blend of illegal and illegitimate.

You'll think about me every time you have to hug them.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »

I can date myself, and say that every American student should not only learn a second language, but also learn Latin.

It's a good way to broaden your understanding of the English language, and also an appreciation of peoples and cultures other than those like yourself.

I still don't know what the big deal is with what Jeb said....   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2015, 06:44:07 pm »
I predict burrito grandchildren or great grandchildren in your  future.

An interesting blend of illegal and illegitimate.

You'll think about me every time you have to hug them.

You see, you want to drag this into an area where you're comfortable. Anglo vs. Spanish. I have no problem with Spanish people. I have problems with people such as yourself. Bitter, incapable of seeing beyond your own ill formed views.

You make assumptions about the number of languages I speak, and my ethinic makeup. A more intelligent person would not make assumptions that he or she couldn't possibly have enough information to make.

You whine, cry and insult anyone who suggests assimilation versus unrestrained adoption of what you profess to be your culture. Sadly, you've chosen to put on display for all to see that you lack any sort of culture.

You are a small mind, a small individual, lacking character or honor. If Republicans need people like you, they should cease being a party. Your natural fit is in the Democrat party.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2015, 06:44:41 pm »
I can date myself, and say that every American student should not only learn a second language, but also learn Latin.

It's a good way to broaden your understanding of the English language, and also an appreciation of peoples and cultures other than those like yourself.

I still don't know what the big deal is with what Jeb said....   **nononono*

Ok.

That does it.

I'm re-examining my entire life starting right now.

I completely agree. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
You see, you want to drag this into an area where you're comfortable. Anglo vs. Spanish. I have no problem with Spanish people. I have problems with people such as yourself. Bitter, incapable of seeing beyond your own ill formed views.

You make assumptions about the number of languages I speak, and my ethinic makeup. A more intelligent person would not make assumptions that he or she couldn't possibly have enough information to make.

You whine, cry and insult anyone who suggests assimilation versus unrestrained adoption of what you profess to be your culture. Sadly, you've chosen to put on display for all to see that you lack any sort of culture.

You are a small mind, a small individual, lacking character or honor. If Republicans need people like you, they should cease being a party. Your natural fit is in the Democrat party.

Have you looked at the definition of "relic" in the dictionary?

"an object, custom, or belief that has survived from an earlier time but is now outmoded"

You picked that handle for yourself. You know yourself well, I will give you that.

You don't fit anywhere any more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:49:10 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2015, 06:50:51 pm »
This thread demonstrates why Republicans have and continue to harm their chances, with certain voters.

Spanish is here to stay in the USA, like it or not. It is not much different that Switzerland, which has 3 languages. Or several other areas, where provinces retain languages, alongside the national language.

Did you read the post upthread where I mentioned the dozens of languages (spoken and written) near my office?

Well, should newly arrived Pakistanis concentrate on learning English or Spanish, or the predominant language spoken in the neighborhood? Which language would you suggest?

Offline Relic

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:06 pm »
Have you looked at the definition of "relic" in the dictionary?

"an object, custom, or belief that has survived from an earlier time but is now outmoded"

You picked that handle for yourself. You know yourself well, I will give you that.

You don't fit anywhere any more.

Yes, it is sad that critical thinking and moral character are outmoded. You'd benefit from adopting such relics.