Author Topic: Centrist floats compromise on immigration  (Read 746 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Centrist floats compromise on immigration
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:40:07 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/231737-centrist-floats-immigration-compromise

By Alexander Bolton - 02/04/15 01:49 PM EST
Sen. Susan Collins has proposed compromise legislation she hopes could serve as the basis for a deal between congressional Republicans and the White House on President Obama’s executive actions on immigration.

The Maine centrist Republican filed an amendment Wednesday that would allow Obama’s 2012 executive action to stand.

That executive action set up the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which offers safe harbor to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants who came to the country as children and have maintained a clean record.
The Collins proposal would repeal Obama’s executive action from November that would grant de facto legal status to the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, which would affect up to 5 million immigrants.

The White House has drawn a red line on both executive actions, warning that Obama will veto any legislation sent to his desk that seeks to overturn them.

But there is certainly more support in Congress for overturning the 2014 executive actions than the 2012 actions. Twenty-six House Republicans voted against an amendment attacking the 2012 executive action on DACA.

“I just think it’s not right to send them back to their home countries when many of them haven’t known [any] other home than America and they didn’t make the decision to come here,” Collins said in explaining why she would support keeping that executive action in place. “Their parents brought them here. To me that is the sweet spot to getting this bill passed.”

The fight over the executive actions is taking place on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Funding is set to lapse on Feb. 27.

“I’m looking for a compromise that can bring an end to this impasse,” Collins told reporters in the Capitol.

On Tuesday, Senate Democrats blocked a House-passed appropriations measure funding the agency and reversing Obama’s executive orders.

She said the goal is to “send a strong response to the president to counter his gross overreach of his executive authority through his issuance of the Nov. 2014 executive order.”

Collins and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) argued at the Senate Republican lunch Tuesday that Republicans should focus only on repealing the 2014 executive order and let the 2012 DACA program stand, The National Review reported.

Cruz, however, has not signed on to Collins’s amendment yet.

She said she hoped to find Democratic co-sponsors but has yet to speak to any potential supporters across the aisle.

“I filed my amendment to show that I’m committed to bringing up an alternative to the bill. My hope is that the Democrats will look at that and perhaps some of them, a few of them, will reach a different conclusion,” she said of the Democratic filibuster blocking debate.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Centrist floats compromise on immigration
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:01 pm »
Bleeping RINOS!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:39 pm »
The Collins proposal would repeal Obama’s executive action from November that would grant de facto legal status to the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, which would affect up to 5 million immigrants.

How is that a bad thing?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:40:42 pm »
How is that a bad thing?

Don't know where you found that but here is what I saw!

The Maine centrist Republican filed an amendment Wednesday that would allow Obama’s 2012 executive action to stand.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »
Don't know where you found that but here is what I saw!

I found it right below the sentence you just quoted..
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:48:26 pm »
When I began entering into the give and take of legislative bargaining in Sacramento, a lot of the most radical conservatives who had supported me during the election didn't like it.

"Compromise" was a dirty word to them and they wouldn't face the fact that we couldn't get all of what we wanted today. They wanted all or nothing and they wanted it all at once. If you don't get it all, some said, don't take anything.

I'd learned while negotiating union contracts that you seldom got everything you asked for. And I agreed with FDR, who said in 1933: 'I have no expectations of making a hit every time I come to bat. What I seek is the highest possible batting average.' - Ronald Reagan, from his autobiography, "An American Life"

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
I found it right below the sentence you just quoted..

OK! Having now read that I stand by my original statement.

- J. R. R. Tolkien