Author Topic: PRO-LIFE LEADERS CALL FOR ELLMERS’ OUSTER FROM CONGRESS  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: PRO-LIFE LEADERS CALL FOR ELLMERS’ OUSTER FROM CONGRESS
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:07 am »
Is it your position that the two are inconsistent? That a group from outside and inside a voting district can't organize to primary a candidate in that district? And that includes raising money, doing work on the ground [petitions, etc.], and running ads? Because my understanding of Federalism doesn't preclude any of those activities.

Not only are they absolutely inconsistent with the founding principles of Federalism and independent State's rights, but they are destructive to them since every issue that rightly belongs to the State and the people of the State gets elevated to a national level. Once that happens, the State and the people of the State are nothing but agents to be people of the nation at large, and the rights and powers reserved to the State and its people are ceded over to the nation, and by default the Federal government.

If her constituents believe that she should go as a result of this issue, they will themselves (without outside agitators) do it.

If they don't then they are fine with her and she should stay.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:26:53 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 05:25:58 am »
Is it your position that the two are inconsistent? That a group from outside and inside a voting district can't organize to primary a candidate in that district? And that includes raising money, doing work on the ground [petitions, etc.], and running ads? Because my understanding of Federalism doesn't preclude any of those activities.

P.S. If Pro Life organizations and voters native to SC are not able to unseat her, then the people of SC judged her and found her worthy to represent the State in Congress.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mrclose

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 07:56:53 am »
Speaking of Ms Ellmers ...

BREAKING, EXCLUSIVE: DC Sources: “Rep. Kevin McCarthy & Rep. Renee Ellmers Are Having An Affair”

http://gotnews.com/breaking-exclusive-dc-sources-rep-kevin-mccarthy-rep-renee-ellmers-affair/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/23/house-leadership-should-be

House Leadership Should Thank GOP Women for Thwarting Anti-Abortion Bill
From a political standpoint, the legislation was baffling.
Elizabeth Nolan Brown|Jan. 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Whether it was conviction or politics that led House Republican women to object, the party's leadership should probably be thankful that they stopped the "Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act" from hitting the House floor yesterday. From a political standpoint, the legislation—which would have banned abortion after 5 months pregnancy—was baffling. After a midterm election spent making Democrat's "GOP War on Women" rhetoric look a little silly, one of the first things Republicans do in the new Congress is introduce federal abortion restrictions? And on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade at that? That's just spiteful. It's exactly the kind of thing that makes popular ideas about the party being anti-woman seem true.

The reason Republican women* (and a few men) gave for objecting to the measure was a provision excepting rape victims from the ban only if the rape was reported to police. That this was the snafu shows the utter hypocrisy of current anti-abortion politics; either a fetus is something that deserves the full legal protections of children and adults or it is not, and if you think it is, then dismissing these rights in some instances just shows cowardice. But almost everyone was cool with exempting rape victims, there was just controvery over what hoops they should have to jump though.

"I'm pro-life," Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-Florida) told reporters. But "I'm certainly not going to ever put myself in the position where I'm telling any woman that their account of a rape is valid or not." It's a smart quote with a fundamentally flawed premise.

But let's look beyond women for a moment. As Peter Suderman has detailed eloquently here before, the GOP looks like a party that is out of ideas. (So do the Democrats, but that's a whole other story.) It's turning off young people like hotcakes, to use an expression that probably still seems hip to many in the party. Everyone know what it's against, but nobody knows what it is for, except for maybe war (and what is that good for? zing!). Nobody expects the Republican Party to unilaterally drop older-conservative red meat like making sure women, gays, and immigrants never enjoy quite as much personal liberty as heterosexuals, whites, and men. But that's a political agenda with somewhat diminishing appeal. Sometimes I'm foolish enough to imagine that maybe, just to hedge their bets, Republicans might want to also lead the way on things like alternative visions of health care or criminal justice reform or damn, any number of wacky ideas Democrats aren't—decreasing small-business regulation! letting farmers grow hemp! dealing with Social Security!—instead of endlessly making a big show about restricting women's bodily autonomy.

"This appeared to be messaging bill, and the message that was being sent was not a very good one," said Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Penn.), who helped block the bill. "I would prefer that our party spent less time focusing on these very contentious social issues, because that distracts us from broader economic messages where I think we have much greater appeal to the larger public."

Pragmatism and practical change over extremism and demagoguery? Dent must not be too popular on the Hill. But maybe that's changing? Politico writers suggest "the party’s extreme right wing .. is losing relevance at the same time some of the moderates are regaining long-lost gall."

In lieu of the 5-month limit on legal abortion, House Republicans introduced a bill which would prohibit people receiving federal tax credits toward their health insurance or buying plans through Obamacare exchanges from purchasing coverage for abortion services. The measure passed 242-179, largely down party lines. Rep. Richard Hanna (N.Y.) was the only Republican who voted against it, according to The Hill, while three Democrats—Reps. Henry Cuellar (Texas), Dan Lipinski (Ill.) and Collin Peterson (Minn.)—voted for it. "The new legislation doesn’t stand a chance to become law," writes Politico's Jake Sherman, "but House Republican leadership want(ed) to have some sort of pro-life bill on the floor Thursday when the anti-abortion March for Life (came) to Washington."

* Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) and Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.) led the bloc opposed to the bill.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 04:52:59 pm »
I'm no leftist Dan.

You however are boorish and rather immature calling anyone who doesn't fit your myopic view of life a "leftist".

So how boorish and immature are you for calling anyone who doesn't fit your myopic view of life...

... which makes them big government collectivist statists just like the left.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »
I'm no leftist Dan.

You however are boorish and rather immature calling anyone who doesn't fit your myopic view of life a "leftist".

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 05:28:54 pm »
A group from outside a state can certainly organize a political effort within that state.  The Constitution not only does not forbid that, it in fact facilitates it by putting strict limits on what states can and cannot do in terms of blocking out-of-staters from entering the state.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »
"Pro-life leaders" have zero say to about whether Ellmer stays or leaves.

That's completely up to the people who sent her to Congress to begin with.

This notion that special interest groups, any special interest group, should go into a State and work to defeat the incumbent representative there because that representative is not promoting their particular cause is simply BS.

There is no consideration given to whether or not that representative served the people of his or her State well, outside the narrow scope of that special interest group's particular crusade.

The pro-life people in the State should work at the State level to impact State politics, and in doing so, change State regulations and statutes concerning abortion.

What they want to do is impose their will on the entire country via force of government, which makes them big government collectivist statists just like the left.

This is basically "State's 1" so-cons want to inflict their morality upon the nation in the same way the Leftists seek to, like the islamists want to.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 09:14:45 pm »
This is basically "State's 1" so-cons want to inflict their morality upon the nation in the same way the Leftists seek to, like the islamists want to.
What morality do you find in the murdering of the unborn .. or should I say, unwanted?
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 09:32:19 pm »
Yeah, socons want the "freedom" and "liberty" to impose their beliefs on the entire country, thereby depriving others of their own "freedom" and "liberty."

They believe their righteousness, entitles them to this power over others. It is God's will, to them. Never mind any other considerations.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:38 pm »
What morality do you find in the murdering of the unborn .. or should I say, unwanted?

Please?

Let's NOT start this yet again?

The point was that it's now been forty years since a Woman's right to choose.  That's virtually every female grandmother, mother and child in America today who's grown up knowing nothing else. 

The point was that for you to 'blow a whistle' threatening to start another discussion as to when the fetus becomes viable outside the womb....not even 30 days into the new Republican-controlled Congress....makes one a strategic moron in a political sense.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:36:01 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald